Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0085  (Read 1055 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0085
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0085
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:11:37 AM »
In that announcer/chalkboard thing, do we see A Moltke positioned to do the VO?  She peeks out from behind the blackboard and smiles...   Any VO microphone and script would be on the table in front of her, but that's hidden by the blackboard.

Burke's idea of a fairy tale is one where the hero nails someone's hide to the wall, and then takes what he wants...   Bill Malloy's ghost!   That was effective, actually.

[female_skull] [candle_in_skull] [skelleton_runs]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »
I sincerely hope that this is the last episode where somebody calls Bob Rooney anything but Bob.
Love how BR shakes his head at Sam when Sammy tells Bob/Andy he’s a good man.
Anybody got a count of the number of glasses on the table? And then Bob whisks them away on his tray. I hope they left him a sizable tip.

This is an excerpt of an article I found on Wikipedia. Thought it might be fun to share.
From Wiki… each verse thereafter suggests a method of sobering—or castigating, or simply abusing—the sailor.

1. Shave his belly with a rusty razor
2. Put him in the long boat till he's sober
3. Put him in the scuppers with a hawse pipe on him.
4. Put him in bed with the captain's daughter.
5. Beat him with a cat 'til his back is bleedin'
6. Put him in the bilge and make him drink it
7. Truss him up with a runnin' bowline.
8. Give 'im a dose of salt and water.
9. Stick on 'is back a mustard plaster.
10. Send him up the crow's nest till he falls down
11. Tie him to the taffrail when she's yardarm under
12. Soak 'im in oil 'til he sprouts a flipper.
13. Put him in the guard room 'til he's sober.
14. That's what we'll do with the drunken sailor.
15. Shave his balls with a rusty razor.
16. Make him the skipper of an Exxon tanker.                17. Give 'im the hair of the dog that bit him.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 04:58:46 PM »
My old notes say that this was the last episode written by Art Wallace. His script called for "as many verses as one wants" of "Drunken Sailor."

Bill appears to Vicki and warns her to get away before she's killed, but his thoughtfulness doesn't extend to unlocking the door for her. But at least he can carry a tune!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »
Bill Malloy's ghost!   That was effective, actually.
Yes, it was spooky.  Very well done.  The Josette appearance in episode 70 was well done too.  Apparently they took a lot of care in the early days; later it's usually obvious beforehand when somebody's going to disappear.  That's OK, though.  I figure by that time everything had gotten so complicated that they just didn't have time to make it perfect.

Thanks for the rundown of possibilities for Bill Malloy's song, Janet.  I like to think that he made up a few of his own, when he'd had a few beers, and when Elizabeth wasn't around, but I'm not sure.  He never seemed like a particularly joyous personality to me, but maybe it was just the circumstances.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 04:25:12 AM »
I thought the same thing Lydia about Bill Malloy.  I can't see him singing that song, but I'm sure its a public domain song so no money to pay out in royalties.  Really Bill seemed so uptight all the time and to be in love with Elizabeth for all those years when there was no chance as Ned was apparently ahead of the game there and he got the heave ho also. 
Vickie crazily cries to the high barred window to let her out.  Would there really be someone out on the roof in a strorm? 
It seems like the seaweed that Vickie sees at the end to confirm that she isn't dreaming of the ghost is already in place on the floor.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
Bill appears to Vicki and warns her to get away before she's killed, but his thoughtfulness doesn't extend to unlocking the door for her.

I'd have thought he'd have let her out too, but maybe his ghostly essence doesn't afford him the human physical abilities he was capable of doing in life,  even something so simple as unlocking and opening the door.

It was nice to see Burke and Sam friendly for a change, even if they were both drunk. For Sam it's the norm, but I think this is the first time on the show we've seen Burke 'potted' to use Carolyn's phrase for it. Of course Burke's good will to his former friend isn't going to last once he sobers up.

Speaking of Carolyn, she's back to daydreaming about Burke. Some might think she's justified because Joe elected to have dinner with Maggie rather than take her out, but Carolyn has been treating him awful lately, that I just can't be mad at Joe for wanting to dine with a mature woman at her house rather than be at the beck and call of an immature rich girl.