Author Topic: The Chained Coffin  (Read 477 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The Chained Coffin
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:12:49 AM »
Fans,

a month or two ago, I revisited Roger Corman's exquisitely mounted film of THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM starring the Immortal Vincent Price, and I noticed a number of plot devices and images that seemed to have been re-staged in DS.

Just a little while ago, a friend of mine posted this trailer for HOUSE OF USHER (1960) on a film page we're both on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QslKMIOeME8

I'd forgotten about that gruesome image of a bloodied hand groping its way out of a chained coffin.  Interesting to speculate that that might have inspired Malcolm Marmorstein, if he was the one who came up with the idea of the vampire being released from such a coffin.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: The Chained Coffin
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:35:18 AM »
Back in the mid-'60s I saw House of Usher on a double-bill with one of Vincent Price's other films, and I remember really enjoying it. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it since. But I would love to see it again to see if it holds up to my memory. That trailer certainly brings back great memories - thanks for posting the link to it, Gothick!  [ghost_smiley]

On the other hand, I saw The Pit and the Pendulum a few months ago (on TV, so I don't know if it was edited) and I really enjoyed that as well.

If I knew I could get good quality copies of such films on DVD, I would buy them in an instant. But sadly a lot of the time the versions out on DVD are simply the old worn copies that were repeatedly used for TV stations' late night showings back in the day...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 03:14:19 PM »
This one, from 2001, seems to be the standard print available now.  I just bought some of the Corman Poe films on DVD and they looked great.  THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM was done in a letterbox format that made it kind of small on my computer screen, but I think you can improve that by changing settings.  I still found it quite watchable and enjoyed seeing it again so much.  There was a note on Amazon about the redaction of this film included in a five movie Vincent Price set that I recently bought.  Of course, now everything is moving to "streaming" but I find that physical media play much better for me, because of my ISP or the fact that I don't have up to date tech--don't really know and don't much care, at this point...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/2143/fall-of-the-house-of-usher-1960-the/

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 11:52:27 PM »
Looks like a great DVD version of the film. I will definitely have to check it out. Thanks for the link, Gothick!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 11:57:14 PM »
The DVD Talk review says the list price is $9.99 - Amazon is selling it for $27.99 - what am I missing?  [hdscrt]  Especially when it says "Buy now and save at Amazon"...