Author Topic: Voice Over Questions  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Voice Over Questions
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 07:30:33 PM »
Did you read "Return to Collinwood"?  And, if so, did you enjoy it?

I haven't read the whole thing. I read the section on the '04 WB pilot and Darren Gross' DS movies article, and I enjoyed both of them. But when I went back to start reading the book from the beginning and found several errors in just the first 8 pages (the "Five Decades Of Dark Shadows" section), that soured me on reading more. But I'm sure I'll get back to it one day... And supposedly, after attention was called to them, those error were going to be corrected in the second printing - but I've never seen a second printing copy, so who knows...

Mainly I just buy the PomPress books because they all contain never before published photos. As any sort of a definitive info source, most are sadly lacking, which is sad.

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 07:49:46 PM »
The pictures are always the major asset. I was less than thrilled that a lot of the material had been recycled from earlier books. I also did not care for the tone of the piece on the 2004 pilot. The other sections were somewhat more objective but someone's distaste for the pilot was much too obvious.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
I enjoyed reading KLS' account of appearing in the DS film along with Jonathan Frid, Lara Parker and David Selby.  However, it was sad to learn that Mr. Frid had such difficulty in making the flight over to England and in getting around on the film set.

When I saw the film, I was disappointed that  Mr. Frid did not have a longer scene (and conversation) with Johnny Depp.  Although, after reading the chapter on the Tim Burton DS film, I can understand why Mr. Frid's scene with Johnny Depp was so short.  As a man well into his eighties, Mr. Frid performed admirably in his brief cameo scene.

I had the great honor of saying hello to Mr. Frid at the NYC DS Festival in 1988.  As lifelong DS fans, we will always revere this fine actor and gentleman.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 08:01:51 PM »
I was less than thrilled that a lot of the material had been recycled from earlier books.

See, I haven't read most of the book yet. That really gives me something to look forward to! ... Uh, NOT!!  [ghost_rolleyes]

I also did not care for the tone of the piece on the 2004 pilot. The other sections were somewhat more objective but someone's distaste for the pilot was much too obvious.

Well, I gleaned the facts and ignored the opinions.  [ghost_wink]

By far the best article on the '04 pilot is the one Darren Gross wrote for Fangoria #239.

I enjoyed reading KLS' account of appearing in the DS film along with Jonathan Frid, Lara Parker and David Selby.

As much as I enjoy the Depp/DS film, I haven't read all of that yet. But then, I haven't even gotten around to watching all the extras on the film's Blu-ray, so...

But getting back on topic to the subject of the voiceovers, I always liked it when AM did the "My name is Victoria Winters..." voiceovers because it always kept Vicki front and center. Sure it was nice for the other actors to have their shots at them, but it seems to me that dropping those was yet one more way that Vicki became marginalized... Not that DC gave a damn how it affected the storytelling - not when he was saving his bottom line by not having to pay AM when she wasn't in an ep.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »
It's too bad that AM did not come back as Vicky Winters (Bradford?) on the show.  AM could have resumed her memorable voice-over openings.  (And maybe we all would have finally learned who VW's parents were.)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 08:53:53 PM »
i haven't pulled out RTC in a long time but as i recall there was A LOT of recycled material...

in terms of a tie in the with Depp/Burton film i think Scott was taken aback by the hostility directed at it and the book did not do nearly as well as she had expected. i recall her "defending" the film left and right at the time of the book's printing.

she's still got truckloads she's trying to get rid of. her website always has "deals" on it and she had stacks at the fest this year.  [ghost_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 09:06:46 PM »
RTC has more to offer than the Depp/DS film. If people who don't like that film are ignoring it on that basis, they may be doing themselves a disservice, at least so far as the photos go. I don't actually remember if there's much new relating to the original series (and I'm too lazy at the moment to check), so if that's all someone is interested in, there may not be much to recommend it. But there are some great new photos from hoDS, NoDS, the '91 series, and the '04 pilot. Though with that in mind, I suppose it might be that the book would appeal more to people who are fans of several versions of DS rather than just one...

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 09:14:04 PM »
I don't recall there being any new material related to the original series, other than maybe a picture or two. But it was at least the third time that her scrapbook memories have been printed. The only edit that I ever recall being made (not sure if it's done in RTC for the first time) is a referral to Ben Martin as her first husband.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2016, 09:19:51 PM »
OMG, you mean Scrapbook Memories is trotted out AGAIN!! Despite the fact that parts of it are faulty memories at best, I could see the second printing because the first book is out of print and often commands astronomical prices on places like eBay when it shows up, especially the hardcover. But a third time!!  [ghost_rolleyes]

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 09:25:24 PM »
Third time. So far.  [ghost_wink] [ghost_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »
Although, when you think about it, KLS was just following in the footsteps of DC and his penchant of "recycling" things over and over and over and...

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 09:40:04 PM »
To infinity and beyond.....
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 08:30:39 PM »
Just a note about the original series voiceover opening "My name is Victoria Winters."  I had it in the back of my mind when this came up again that there were probably a couple of precedents for this.  And I think most if not all of them were from the glorious years of "old time radio." 

One example was a 1950s radio soap, "This is Nora Drake," which started each show with the titular protagonist declaiming just that line:

https://archive.org/details/ThisIsNoraDrake

Several of the regular actors on the show did radio.  Thayer had quite a career doing commercial radio voiceovers.

G.

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 08:55:11 PM »
Peyton Place had an opening narration as well. The narrator for all 514 episodes was Warner Anderson, whose character (Matthew Swain) had been written out of the show early on.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 10:17:36 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Hmmm - that's quite interesting. Apparently the producers of PP weren't adverse to paying an actor who didn't even appear in all the eps.  [ghost_nowink]