Author Topic: DS memories and the power of music  (Read 921 times)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
DS memories and the power of music
« on: September 20, 2003, 10:51:21 PM »
In a previous post I stated that "Dark Shadows" to me represents a time of innocence.  I was in elementary school just getting ready for junior high when it was taken off the air in 1971.  Shortly after it's cancellation my father died very suddenly and that event represents to me the end of my innocence.  So although "Dark Shadows" can drive me crazy sometimes with it's lack of consistency it will always hold a special place in my heart because it brings back great memories of running home from school everyday to watch Barnabas, Angelique and the gang.  A time of innocence...........

I love music and there is one song that speaks perfectly about my feelings for "Dark Shadows". The title of the song is "Bookends", by Simon and Garfunkel.

Words and music by Paul Simon

Time it was,
And what a time it was,
it was.................
a time of innocence,
a time of confidences.
long ago......it must be.....
I have a photograph.
preserve your memories;
They're all that's left you.

I believe the words to this song speak volumes and are timeless.  I'm always amazed how a song can take a person back to a place and time, maybe what was going on in their life when the song was popular.  In the case of this song, the words perfectly convey why the show still means so much after all these years.

As far as I'm concerned Paul Simon is one of the all time greatest songwriters in popular music.

Murph

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:My personal "Dark Shadows" theme song
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 12:25:41 AM »
Hi, Murph welcome back to the board, nicely
done with the song.   Love Anne ;) :-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 03:12:47 AM »
I agree with Annie......"Bookends" is a beautiful song. Thanks for reminding me of my innocents.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 01:45:34 PM »
So although "Dark Shadows" can drive me crazy sometimes with it's lack of consistency it will always hold a special place in my heart

That's a feeling that we all probably share.  [wink2]

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Re:DS memories and the power of music
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 10:47:05 PM »
I'm always amazed how a song can take a peron back to a place and time,

Well said Murph, I can relate 100%.   :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re:DS memories and the power of music
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 07:26:30 PM »
I, too, can relate, Murph.  I got the DS soundtrack for Christmas in 1969 and ever since, the haunting themes have been ingrained both in my consciousness and in my heart.

During DS' original run, I would watch the show with a lady who was like a second mother to me (in fact, it was she who had given me the DS LP).  I'd run home from school, while she'd run home from the nursing home where she worked.   Our shared enjoyment of the show was a time of innocence for both of us.  It would become a treasured memory for me, for she had to leave the country in 1973.  In the last 30 years, I was able to see her only once (for an entire month in 1980).  Through a series of unfortunate circumstances, she was never able to realize her dream of returning to the U.S. We continued to stay in touch, and I remember writing her about attending the 2001 and 2002 Fests.  After years of failing health, she passed away earlier this year.

Around the same time that we were watching DS, I discovered Simon & Garfunkel and was moved by the melancholy of "Old Friends/Bookends" -- only to discover that Paul Simon's lyrics ring even more deeply with every passing decade.

Ben