Author Topic: Friday cliffhanger  (Read 1008 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Friday cliffhanger
« on: April 28, 2006, 03:24:36 PM »
Hello cousins,

I just watched episode #845 where [spoiler]Charity stakes Barnbas[/spoiler]

Seeing as this was a Friday cliffhanger, what did those of you who originally saw this episode think when you saw this episode and when [spoiler]Jonathan was gone for 21 episodes afterwards?  Did you really thing Barnabas was dead?[/spoiler]

I saw this ep originally too, but was a month shy of my 5th birthday so all I remember is the [spoiler]staking itself[/spoiler]

Inquiring minds want to know.   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Re: Friday cliffhanger
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 09:56:36 PM »
I was nine years old when this happened, and I can remember my friends and I flipping out trying to figure out what was going to happen next.  By this time, even as young as we were, we were aware of the show's penchant for bringing back characterts, actors, etc. at the drop of a hat.  This made it less stressful, as many of us "kept the faith" that he would come back.  It certainly had the intended effect of stirring up interest in the show- even my teachers seemed more aware of what was happening on the show!

Petofi

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 05:28:38 PM »
since every episode ended with some sort of "cliffhanger" i wonder how they decided what was friday-cliffhanger-worthy and what was just regular-weekday-cliffhanger material?sometimes they even had "mini-cliffhangers" within the episode itself right before they went to commercial.

they must have saved the big guns for friday.the time period switches wre probably friday stuff.

being a contemporary viewer i guess some of that suspence isn't really there as it was for those who watched during the original run.i sort of knew going in what actors were with the show for what length of time so when that actor's character "dies" or otherwise departs i knew whether or not that was really it for them.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 05:54:03 PM »
the time period switches wre probably friday stuff.

Hi!

Sy Tomashoff has talked about having the weekend to create (or was it "destroy"?) the 1995 set, and even then he said it was exhausting for his crew.  I'm assuming this was the most complicated switch, since everything put into disrepair would eventually have to be returned to its original condition.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 06:13:30 PM »
hi midnite!

i just this week watched the 1970pt to 1995 switch.

seeing collinwood in ruins was one of those goosebump moments for me.the set,the music,i thought it was really well done.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 06:36:04 PM »
Quote from: mscbryk
i just this week watched the 1970pt to 1995 switch.

Oh cool.  But are you going to switch to something else at the end of it?  I felt for you when I read about your time travel burnout.  We've all been through some form of DS burnout at one time or another, believe me.  Just please don't get DS Forums burnout.   :-

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 08:30:04 PM »
After the long gradual set-up for 1840 through 1995 then 1970 again, which concludes big, you might be ready for the past again. 

I envy petofi's memory.   I remember said big conclusion to 1970 before 1840, and the final minute of DS, but not specific moments otherwise.

[spoiler]I got tapes in 2002, and it wasn't the staking that made me wonder, it was his staying "dead" combined with the hints that his ghost might be around.   And I knew BC didn't just go away, from childhood.   That's good storytelling, if they can make you wonder even if you know better.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor