Author Topic: The Family Fortune  (Read 793 times)

Offline jthomas_123

• Junior Poster
  • I love Maggie!
    • View Profile
The Family Fortune
« on: July 08, 2002, 12:13:37 AM »
**POSSIBLE SPOILER**

How did the Collins' get so rich, I understand the Story about Isaac crossing the Atlantic in a sail boat and finding the family fortune, but what was it, a treasure chest full of Gold?

And how would it last for over 300 years?

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
Re: The Family Fortune
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2002, 07:20:30 AM »
How did the Collins' get so rich, I understand the Story about Isaac crossing the Atlantic in a sail boat and finding the family fortune, but what was it, a treasure chest full of Gold?

Isaac Collins was a ship builder by trade... arriving to this new land to make his fortune, in those early years fate was kind to the newly born Collins Clan, Isaac Collins prospered, with dedication and diligent work as well as an expertise in ship building, it was in later years that the Collins family entered into fishing and the canning there of.

This is how the Collins Family became who they are now.

The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Family Fortune
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 06:30:45 AM »
**POSSIBLE SPOILER**

All conjecture:
If I had to guess, I would venture that the family probably got its start doing things like smuggling and wrecking (I think that's what it's called: put out false lights on the coast, lure ships in and then steal their cargo).  They went respectable venturing into ship building and probably still keeping the smuggling and then probably in the 1870s shifted over to commercial canning.  

That and owning a lot of property and squeezing rent money out of it would go a long way to bringing in the dough.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga