Author Topic: The game of life.. and chess  (Read 1751 times)

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
The game of life.. and chess
« on: July 01, 2002, 07:08:05 PM »
After watching these episodes today, I realize that though I don't really like the story line as a whole, some of today's dialogue was top notch.  I think the chess match between Julia and Stokes(both literal and symbolic) was a highlight as well as Blair's manipulation of Adam.  In it's early stages it is so right on the money.  It reflects real life, and how people use and play other people for their own gain.

Some of the individual episodes in this story line is very entertaining, but as a whole I think it becomes a little drawn out.

Also, I've said it countless times... If Julia would just tell Stokes the truth,  he could have really helped them out.

deron

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: The game of life.. and chess
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 12:24:30 AM »
I agree completely. A weak story line overall is held together with many magical "moments" between some great actors.

It bugs me too that Julia doesn't confide in Stokes. I suppose it was felt that Barnabas' deep, dark secret must remain just that, but at this point in his life I should think he'd have little to fear. He is "human" now and doesn't have to worry about someone putting a stake through his heart or making up excuses for why nobody sees him during the day. I guess Barnabas still follows that old Collins family tradition: DENIAL.

Also I don't think they wanted to strengthen or experiment with a relationship between Julia and Stokes - she's still pining for Barnabas and has eyes only for him, and continues to protect him at all costs.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2002, 08:33:14 AM »
It bugs me too that Julia doesn't confide in Stokes. I suppose it was felt that Barnabas' deep, dark secret must remain just that, but at this point in his life I should think he'd have little to fear. He is "human" now and doesn't have to worry about someone putting a stake through his heart or making up excuses for why nobody sees him during the day. I guess Barnabas still follows that old Collins family tradition: DENIAL.

Good point Chris_2,  I also wish that Julia would confide more in Prof.Stokes, but she is just too darn loyal to Barnabas to ever do that.  When Dr.Lang found out the truth and even very confidently used the word "vampire" Julia still fiercely denied it. So I guess she'll be loyal to the end.  I don't know why Barnabas refuses to let Stokes in on his secret though. So far the Professor knows about Cassandra/Angelique, Nickolas, and also the truth about Adam's origins and he's kept these things mainly to himself. Perhaps Barnabas is just too worried about tarnishing his image. I still feel though that the Professor would have been a great help to both of them had he known the truth. If he can have sympathy for Adam (especially knowing what happened to Sam Evans & Carolyn) Im twice as sure that he'd have sympathy for Barnabas' affliction as well.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2002, 08:58:46 AM »
Today's episodes were really really good! They had me bouncing up and down within five minutes, and I'd just woken up!  ;D Adam and Carolyn continue to enchant me, and Stokes really cracks me up: "You have an 18th century edition of the Republic!?" [Carolyn] "I don't know! I just said the first  piece 18th century literature that came to my mind!" LMAO! I think Stokes and Julia would have been adorable as a couple, it's too bad the writers were so stubborn and had her only in love with Barnabus. WHYYY does she love him anyway?? *shudders* Yeicht. I can understand why she NEEDS to love him, because she's the only one who'll protect him 100% faithfully...but then again, Willie doesn't look like he'd betray Barnabus either. So Julia could still be LOYAL to Barnabus, but start to date Stokes.....*hint hint ds writers!!* Oh yeah, that's right, the show is 36 years old....*coughs* LOL I'm really still going to write a letter about Carolyn and Joe and Maggie and that whole triangle, though. I really am. And about Barnabus biting Carolyn. Grrrrr.....
back on topic:
Seeing this TL for the first time, it was a bit ... redundant ... in the beginning, with that freaking tape recording of Lang's [will he never die!? *whines*], but right now I like it a loooooot...probably becuase of  :-* Adam  :-* .... but who knows. I've never seen Frankenstein [lol *gasp*] so I can't complain about DS being a ripped-off imitation, including Sam as the blind man, which I read somewhere earlier. But right now I'm content 2 sit back and be amused and enchanted. Today's episodes were reeeeeeally good ^____^
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2002, 10:17:10 AM »
It bugs me too that Julia doesn't confide in Stokes. I suppose it was felt that Barnabas' deep, dark secret must remain just that, but at this point in his life I should think he'd have little to fear.

Also I don't think they wanted to strengthen or experiment with a relationship between Julia and Stokes - she's still pining for Barnabas and has eyes only for him, and continues to protect him at all costs.

Just a note to defend my girl . .Julia did last week suggest to Barnabas that they tell Stokes about their situation and  that maybe he could help them.  BARNABAS put the cabosh on that idea. . .*he* wanted only Julia to know. . .
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2002, 10:20:38 AM »
I think Stokes and Julia would have been adorable as a couple, it's too bad the writers were so stubborn and had her only in love with Barnabus. WHYYY does she love him anyway?? *shudders* Yeicht. I can understand why she NEEDS to love him, because she's the only one who'll protect him 100% faithfully...but then again, Willie doesn't look like he'd betray Barnabus either. So Julia could still be LOYAL to Barnabus, but start to date Stokes^____^

Daphne, I often wonder too why Julia doesn't get much action on the show. . here are my theories.  . .all made up in my own head I warn all. . 1) Julia had to remain loyal and Pure in some sense. . why, I think has more to do with point #2)--which is. . Sam Hall didn't want his wife gettin' it on with any other actor!! LMAO!  I think the soon to be aired Tom Jennings eps were just too much for poor old Sam.  .Grayson seemed to enjoy her time with Don B. way too much . .. :P
Julia99

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2002, 01:58:31 PM »
Monday's DS had everything: Julia looking puzzled; Roger all dapper, depressed, huffy, and pickled; Stokes giving Blair that What-you-talkin'-'bout-Willis look in the first ep's teaser; Blair striking a pose & summoning the dismembered Chippendale's dancers from hell; & Adam stuck in the West Wing like Bad Ronald (a very creepy 1974 TV movie)...

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2002, 07:00:14 AM »
I remember Bad Ronald!!  It was good.  I don't think I see any similarity with Adam, though (except the hiding out bit, but even the way it's done is different).

Josette

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2002, 07:22:01 AM »
I remember Bad Ronald!! I don't think I see any similarity with Adam, though.

Maybe I should've given that comment one of these:  ;)  It was simply my lame attempt at humor... :-X
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2002, 08:55:12 AM »
I agree completely, deron!  This episode was another highlightning some of the professor's best comments and actions.

I've always admired his degree of self-possession and confidence.  Notice that Barnabas, a relative, waits for Carolyn in the drawing room, but acquaintance Stokes simply marches up the stairs to see her without a second thought.  The poised professor also speaks with perfect grammar: "It is I, Stokes." vs. "It's me, Stokes."

I chuckled over his delight at Caroyln's mention of the first edition of The Federalist.  Most of all, I appreciated the way that he took Julia to task, first confronting her frankly about her recent behavior and at the end with his own knowledge of Adam's history.  As has been said before, Professor Stokes was one classy gentleman.

ProfStokes

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2002, 04:58:31 PM »
Have to agree with ProfStokes....Thayer David was great as the Professor.  This chess scene with Julia was classy.  I particularly like this scene for the Professor's way of making Julia squirm.  Yes, I'm a Julia fan and I like scenes that occasionally take her to task.  It is quite obvious that he knows quite a bit more than B or J acknowledges, but as J99 says, B put the squash on letting the Professor in on the details.  Makes you wonder what Stokes COULD have done had they taken him into confidence and how different the storylines could have been with his knowledge of the occult.  Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.