Author Topic: #0127/0128: Robservations 08/17/01: Who is that Blonde?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0127/0128: Robservations 08/17/01: Who is that Blonde?
« on: August 16, 2001, 07:07:40 PM »
Episode #127 - (Kinescope) - I have just lived through days of terror--I have been the captive of an insane, desperate man who wanted to kill me. I had given up hope of ever being rescued--until a moment ago.

They repeat the ending of yesterday's second episode, perhaps the first time they've done so since the series began.
Of course, Vicki's rescue by Burke and Roger was exciting, and their finding Matthew's dead body on the floor at the Old House an excellent denouement to this story of Malloy's murder, Vicki's attempted murder and of course,THE pen.

Collinwood - Liz rushes downstairs and dials the phone, her face frantic. She calls Patterson, telling him to get up to the house immediately--it's an emergency--David just told me the most amazing story--Matthew's on the property and he has Vicki at the Old House. Mrs. Johnson exits the kitchen and overhears. Apparently, Liz tells Patterson, there's a room there no one knew anything about and that's where he's been hiding--my brother and Burke Devlin went there, but haven't come back yet, and I'm terrified!--can you get up here right away and bring some men with you?--thank you, George. She hangs up. Did I hear right? asks Sarah--I'm sorry, I heard voices, and I was worried, so I came down, I couldn't help but hear you--is that true, that Matthew's somewhere here and he's got a hold of Vicki? That's what David said, Liz tells her. How would David know? asks Sarah. It's a long story, says Liz. If it's true Matthew's got her, we won't see her again outside of a graveyard, predicts Sarah. Liz shakes her head and asks her to please not talk that way--I'm frightened enough as it is. So am I, says Sarah, all night evening long, I've had this strange feeling, a chill in my bones--there's only one other time I had this feeling--the night Mr. Malloy was killed. Liz does not appreciate this revelation.
The front door opens. Burke, supporting Vicki, enters the house, followed closely behind by Roger. Oh, Vicki, darling! clamors Liz, you're safe--I've been frantic! She's exhausted and soaking wet, says Burke, removing Vicki's coat. Liz takes the coat from him and tells Burke to take Vicki in by the fire. Thanking Liz, Burke leads Vicki into the drawing room. Mrs. Johnson volunteers to make a pot of hot coffee. Do that, says Liz, who then asks Roger what happened. Matthew very nearly killed Vicki, reports Roger. Liz is horrified. Where's Matthew? she asks. He's dead, says Roger. Did you have to shoot him? asks Liz. No, says Roger, we found him--it was horrible. How did he die? asks Liz. I don't know, says Roger, we just found him there--I need a drink. He goes into the drawing room and offers Vicki and Devlin a brandy. They both say yes. Vicki and Burke sit on the sofa. Vicki, darling, says Liz, you're still white as a sheet! I do feel a little faint, says Vicki, but refuses Liz' offer of a doctor. Roger brings over the drinks and tells them the sheriff should be called and told to get up here right away. I called the sheriff, Liz says, he's on his way up here. How did you know to call him? asks Roger. David woke me up and told me the whole story, says Liz. Did he tell you the whole story--how he's been helping Matthew? Roger asks. Yes, she says, he told me. Where is he now? asks Roger. I sent him up to bed, replies Liz. What are we going to do with this boy? asks Roger. I don't know, Liz says, but this isn't the time or place to discuss it--I'm more concerned about Vicki. Vicki shivers, and Burke touches her shoulder comfortingly. I'm concerned about Vicki, too, says Roger, thanks to my charming son--she could have had her head chopped off. Please, Roger! begs Vicki, covering her face with her hand, I don't want to think or talk about it. Take it easy, will you, Collins? asks Burke. Roger apologizes to Vicki--I didn't mean to upset you, I'm just amazed you escaped from being hurt. I think the ghosts saved me, confesses Vicki--the ghost of Josette Collins--I saw her. What? asks Roger. She appeared to me, says Vicki, and told me not to be afraid, and then Matthew came in with the ax--he was going to kill me--and then something stopped him--he went out to the other room--and then I heard screams!--and they weren't like any screams I ever heard before. Calm down, don't think about it, says Burke, noticing how upset Vicki is getting. She continues, I can't get them out of my head--I keep hearing them, I can't stop hearing them! She should be in bed, says Burke, not down here. Liz helps Vicki up and walks her out of the room. They pause in the doorway. You do believe I saw the ghost of Josette Collins, don't you? Vicki asks Liz. I believe you, , the latter replies. I know it sounds incredible, says Vicki, but it's true. We'll talk about it later, says Liz, and leads Vicki away. You believe that incredible story? Roger asks Burke once they are alone. I don't know, Devlin says, watching Vicki walk away. The girl was half out of her mind with fear, says Roger, this nonsense of a ghost is probably a figment of her imagination. I'd buy that, says Burke, if I hadn't seen Matthew's face. What about it? asks Roger. You saw it, says Burke--didn't he look like a man who'd been frightened out of his mind?--frightened to death?--who could have frightened him--he and Vicki were alone in that house--all alone. Thunder rolls.

Liz comes down to the drawing room, where Burke is smoking a cigarette. He asks about Vicki. She's quieter now, says Liz, Mrs. Johnson is with her--where's Roger? The sheriff came, explains Burke, Roger took him to the Old House--I stayed here to find out how Vicki is. She's going to be all right, Liz assures him--Vicki has a lot of courage. Yes, agrees Burke--would you mind if I went upstairs and said goodnight to her? Not in the least, says Liz. Burke thanks her and heads out, but she stops him. I should be thanking you, she says, for what you did for Vicki. You don't need to thank me, he says, I didn't do it for you. Nevertheless, I'm grateful, says Liz--I think of Vicki as one of the family, and her well-being is very important to me. At least we agree about something, says Burke. You're very fond of Vicki, aren't you? asks Liz. Yes, why? he asks. How fond? she asks. That's a personal question, he says, and none of your business. Vicki is my business, and so is Carolyn, says Liz--you can only cause the girls trouble, please leave them alone. I don't take orders, says Burke, especially from you. That wasn't an order, she says, the girls are important to me--both of them--don't hurt them, Burke. What makes you think I'd listen to anything you have to say? he asks. Because in spite of everything, she say, I think you are capable of feeling, and I think you're very attracted to Vicki. What makes you say that? he asks. I saw the way you were looking at her tonight, says Liz. That's ridiculous, insists Burke. Is it? asks Liz. I like Vicki, sure, I'm fond of her, glad she's safe, says Burke--but that's as far as it goes--as far as it could ever go--falling for an orphaned governess doesn't fit into my scheme of things. I hope for Vicki's sake you're telling the truth, says Liz. Burke goes upstairs.

Mrs. Johnson looks out the window in Vicki's room and tells her that Burke Devlin must be very fond of her--he dropped everything when he heard you were missing and came right here to the house and spent the entire night searching for you. She turns down Vicki's bed. I could hear him searching for me that night, through the wall in the Old House--I was only inches away, but I couldn't cry out, says Vicki. Well, says Sarah, he didn't stop searching, he did everything he could, and then he hired special investigators, they came up here, tramped all around the grounds, must have cost him a fortune. I didn't know that, says Vicki. Of course I don't say I like the man, says Sarah, but I'd say you were lucky he was on your side. I know, I'm very grateful to him, says Vicki. Burke knocks, asking if he could come in for a moment. Vicki rises from the chair in which she's been sitting and looks at herself in the mirror before Burke enter. I just came up to say good night, says Burke. Will you be needing anything more? Asks Sarah. No, thank you, says Vicki. All right, says Sarah, I'll be in my room if you want anything--and Mr. Devlin, there's pot of coffee on the stove in the kitchen. No thanks, he says, I'm on my way out. Good night, then, says Sarah, and leaves. How are you feeling? Burke asks Vicki. Fine, she says, I'm exhausted--but as long as I don't think about tonight, I'll be fine. Don't think about it, advises Burke, put it out of your mind--just remember you're safe. Thanks to you and Roger, says Vicki--how can I ever repay you? Just knowing you're alive is payment enough, he says--it means more to me than anything I can think of. Does it? she asks gently. He looks at her a long moment, then turns away. I'm sorry I said that, he says, try to forget it. Why? she asks. Because I say so! he tells her, annoyed with himself. She moves closer to him. Sometimes, I don't understand you at all, she says. Don't try to understand, he says, if you did, it would be trouble for both of us. She looks at him.

I'd better go, let you get some sleep, says Burke--I'll call you in the morning--one word of advice--get out of this house--quit your job--go as far away from Collinwood as possible. Why? asks Vicki, I'm safe now that Matthew's dead. I have a feeling you're not safe, he says--this house--things happen here that can't be explained. I'm not afraid of this house, says Vicki, I used to be, but not anymore (I guess having your life saved by the resident ghosts banishes fear.) Maybe you should be afraid, says Burke, sometimes, cowardice can be a healthy thing. I'm not afraid, she says, I like my job here and want to stay. What's so special about your job? asks Burke, you could find others. No, says Vicki, I feel at home here--this is the closest thing to a home I've ever had. I don't know what to say to you, he says. There's not much you can say, Vicki tells him, I'm very fond of Mrs. Stoddard, and Carolyn--and in spite of everything, I still think I can help David--I want to stay. You've made up your mind, he states. That's right, I have, she says. Just remember this, he says, holding her shoulders--if you ever need anything, call me, I'll be here.
I'll remember, she says. Good night, Vicki, he says. Good night, Burke, she replies. He takes a lock of her hair between his fingers and caresses it a moment, then leaves, but not before exchanging another longing look with her. Vicki sits on her bed, pondering all this.

Roger returns to Collinwood, wet from the rain. He takes off his coat and hat. Liz joins him and he tells her the sheriff and his deputies took Matthew's body to the morgue--the coroner will probably issue a report tomorrow. Will there be an inquest? asks Liz. Probably not, replies Roger. Why not? asks Burke, coming downstairs. You still here? asks Roger--I thought you'd gone home. No, I was just on my way out, says Burke--why won't there be an inquest? The doctor examined Matthew, says Roger, thinks he probably died of natural causes. What does that mean?--a heart attack? asks Burke. That's right, says Roger. Caused by what? asks Liz. That, my dear sister, was can only surmise, says Roger--a shock to the nervous system can cause a heart attack--Matthew may have seen or heard something that shocked him so much, his heart gave out. What could he have seen? asks Liz.
We may never know, says Roger--personally, I don't want to know--he goes into the drawing room.

Collinwood is dark. It's 2 AM, and Vicki lies awake. Liz enters Vicki's room and starts to close the door, but Vicki calls to her. I hoped you'd be asleep, says Liz, coming in. I'm dead tired, says Vicki, but I can't seem to get to sleep. Liz turns on a light. I was afraid that might happen, says Liz, bringing over a glass of water, so I brought you a couple of pills--you'd better take them. (Liz is the dispenser of mother's little helper here, rather than Julia. Valium, anyone?) All right, agrees Vicki, swallowing the pills with water. They'll start working in a few minutes, says Liz, taking back the glass, then you ought to get a good night's sleep. I hope so, says Vicki, I can use it. You stay in bed tomorrow and get a good rest and get your strength back, says Liz. You're very kind, Vicki tells her. Am I? asks Liz, sitting on the bed--I wonder--ever since you've come to this house, you've had nothing but trouble, perhaps the kindest thing would be to ask you to leave. That wouldn't be kind at all, because I don't want to leave, says Vicki. Can you ever forgive David for what he did? asks Liz. It's not a question of forgiving him, says Vicki, I just wish I could understand him. There's no excuse for his behavior, says Liz. He did tell Burke where I was, says Vicki, and he did try to help find me. Yes, says Liz, but by the time Burke and Roger reached you, it might have been too late. But it wasn't, says Vicki, I suppose I should just be thankful for that and try and forget about the rest. I hope you can, says Liz. Vicki yawns. Those pills are beginning to take effect, she says, I feel a little drowsy. Good, says Liz, have a good night's sleep. Liz starts to leave, but Vicki stops her, saying there's something she wants to ask her--when I told you that I saw the ghost tonight, did you believe me? Yes, says Liz. I know it sounds incredible, says Vicki, and maybe you thought I was hysterical, but I wasn't--I know that I saw Josette Collins--she was as real as you are. Don't think about it anymore, says Liz. She didn't frighten me, says Vicki, she was very kind to me--she told me not to be afraid--you know, I think that she was watching over me the whole time I was there. Perhaps she was, says Liz. And there's something else, says Vicki--she looked like me. There's no resemblance between you and the portrait of Josette Collins, says Liz. If you look closely, there is, says Vicki--the woman I saw looked more like me than the portrait did--maybe she's one of my ancestors.
That would make you a Collins, says Liz, sitting back on her bed, and I hardly think that's likely. Then why was she watching over me all the time? asks Vicki. I don't know, says Liz, I don't pretend to understand any of it. One more thing, says Vicki--have you ever seen a ghost? No, says Liz. Has anyone else in this house ever seen one--aside from David? asks Vicki. There was someone who claimed to, says Liz, but that was a long time ago--my great-aunt, when she was a little girl--she wandered away from the house one day and got lost on a deserted area of the beach--no one could find her--it was a nasty winter's day, she almost died from exposure--something like a miracle happened--a man in a fishing boat found her--it was a time of year when the boats don't go out, and that area of the beach that was never fished--according to the story, the man hardly knew himself why he was there--he just had an urge to take his boat out that day--a woman appeared to my great aunt just before she was rescued, and told her not to be afraid. A woman in a long white dress? asks Vicki excitedly. Yes, says Liz. Then it must be Josette Collins! exclaims Vicki, wonder on her face, she must have been watching over your great-aunt, too. That's what she thought, says Liz. So then I did see her, says Vicki, she does exist. Her head sinks down to the pillow. You're half asleep, notes Liz, pulling the covers up over her, don't fight it, close your eyes. She does exist, she does, says Vicki. We'll talk about it tomorrow, promises Liz, turning off the light. "She does exist," murmurs Vicki as Liz opens the door to leave. Liz looks down at Vicki for a moment, then closes the door. The wind blows the curtains at the window.

At the Old House, Josette's ghost walks behind the columns, a glowing figure. (I've got chills!)
She walks and twirls, in and out of the columns, dancing a she has before, perhaps a victory dance for her part in Vicki's rescue.

NOTES: That was a satisfying denouement to this storyline. Matthew was apparently given a heart attack, courtesy of the ghosts haunting the estate, and died. Vicki believes Josette saved her, and that she resembles her, forging a link between the ghost and the governess that will continue for much of the series.

Burke loves Vicki, that's obvious, yet he urges her to go away yet again, to protect her from the fallout of his actions. Will she soften him enough to make him drop his vendetta? We'll see! In the meantime, Liz warns him about hurting either girl, and he basically tells her to butt out. Right now, it seems that while he's romancing Carolyn, his feelings are all for Vicki--but he won't admit, even to himself. A man doesn't look at a girl that way, touch her hair, (and let's not forget that kiss!) if he doesn't care--a lot.

Vicki suggested to Liz she might be a Collins, but Liz says no. Is she telling the truth? Will we ever find out?

Episode #128 - The nights of terror have ended, and I have returned to Collinwood--but death has also come here--a death so weird and mysterious, that no one can explain it.

Maggie waters plants in the restaurant. Joe comes in and asks what the coffee is like today. If you liked it two days ago, she quips, you'll like it today--it's the same coffee, she says--and pours him a cup--what do you hear from the morgue? The coroner made his final report on Matthew, says Joe--death was due to heart failure--that's it. Come on, says Maggie--there's more to it than that. What do you mean? he asks. He didn't exactly pass on in his sleep, protests Maggie. He was an old man, points out Joe. You know what the sheriff said, says Maggie. The sheriff is not the coroner, insists Joe. The sheriff said that Matthew's face was all twisted into a horrible expression, she says--why did he look that way?
I don't know, says Joe, but I certainly don't believe what the sheriff said. I do, insists Maggie, Matthew Morgan died of fright!

Joe munches on a donut. You don't believe that stuff about Matthew bring frightened to death, do you? he asks Maggie. I do, she says. Come on, he says. Matthew saw something that was too much for him, she says, filling a dispenser with napkins. Adolescence is a few years ago, says Joe, you just don't keep on believing stories about haunted houses and ghosts. Vicki said she saw Josette Collins, says Maggie. Vicki was hysterical, says Joe, she saw the old portrait--old Matthew was coming at her with an ax, she didn't know what she was saying or seeing! Why do you refuse to believe it? she demands. Because I've learned the difference between what's real and what's not, says Joe--Matthew died for a real reason--his heart stopped. That's where you're wrong, she says, Matthew's heart didn't just stop--it burst--that's the autopsy report. You can believe what you want, says Joe, drinking his coffee, you're not going to convince me. She laughs. That's because the only reality for you is fish, she says. Is that so? he asks. And Carolyn Stoddard if you want to call that real, she says. You're getting to be a pretty brassy dame, you know that? he asks. He smacks her rear. She laughs some more. What did you expect? she asks, going back behind the counter--flowers and sugar plums? Half the time I don't know what to expect from you, he says. Good! she says, smiling hugely, you know, that's the trouble with you men--you expect every woman to agree with you and be predictable. Is that so? he asks. Yes, she says, looking into his eyes, that's so. Sam comes in and they greet him. Did you hear about Matthew? asks Joe. Every place I go, sighs Sam, that's the big topic of conversation, I hope I'm not going to hear it here. Oh, no, says Maggie, pouring another cup of coffee, Joe and I have gone as far as we can with it. Can I talk to you for a minute? Asks Sam--you don't mind, Joe? No, says Joe, this coffee Maggie makes demands a little concentration anyway. (That coffee fetish!) Be careful, warns Maggie, or I'll make that stuff stronger. Maggie brings a cup of coffee for her father and she and Sam sit together at a table. Do you know who she is? asks Sam. That woman who was here yesterday? asks Maggie. Who do you think I'm talking about? he asks, annoyed. Easy, Pop, she says, I couldn't find out anything about her. Why not? he asks. Because she left here right after you did, says Maggie, and hasn't been back here since. Oh, he says, I see. What's the matter, she asks. Nothing, he says, sipping his coffee. You've got the distress signal up, says Maggie. Do you think she'll come back? he asks. I don't know, says Maggie. Do you have any idea? he asks urgently. She indicated she'd be in town for a while, says Maggie--she didn't give me the dates or her itinerary--it's really none of my business. (Since when?) Do me a favor, says Sam--I want you to make it your business--I want to know who she is. What for? demands Maggie. I have to know! says Sam. Who do you think she is? asks Maggie. Don't ask me any questions, insists Sam. Why are you behaving so mysteriously? Asks Maggie. I want you to find out who she is, says Sam--it could be very, very important to me--and others. She looks at him, not knowing what to say.

I don't understand why you're behaving this way, she says. I asked you to do me a favor, says Sam--if you want to do it for me, I'd appreciate it, if you don't just forget it, I'll find out by myself. you know I will, she says--I'll try--it just bothers me to see you so secretive. Can you remember any of the things that she said to you? asks Sam--about why she came back. For the holidays, to see her family, says Maggie, something about facing things--come to think of it, she really didn't say much of anything--she asked questions, mostly. About the Collins family and Burke Devlin, you say? asks Sam. That's about it, says Maggie--she was vague, she wasn't even sure why she was here--then a sort of strange mood came over her, and she started to tell me the legend of the phoenix. Sam drinks his coffee. The what? he asks. The phoenix, that bird, says Maggie, did you ever hear of it? Of course I've heard of it, says Sam, nervously wiping his mouth. She started to tell me how when the phoenix is ready to die, it builds a funeral pyre, then it cremates itself, says Maggie, and then out of the ashes, it rises again, and is reborn, and lives for another 500 years--then it does the whole fire bit again, into infinity, I guess. Noticing how distracted Sam seems, Maggie asks, "Hey, Pop, what is it?" What? asks Sam, nothing--strange thing for her to talk about. At least it was something new, says Maggie, you don't hear any of the yokels around here talking about anything like that. I'm going down to the Blue Whale, says Sam, standing and putting on his hat. I wish you wouldn't, she says hesitantly. If you find out something, meet me down there, says Sam. I'll see you late, when I finish here, she says. OK, thanks, says Sam, kissing Maggie's head, hitting Joe's shoulder and saying goodbye. What's with your father? Joe asks. Something's got him upset, replies Maggie, he's on his way to the Blue Whale to solve all his problems. I'm going down there, says Joe, I'll keep an eye on him for you. Would you? she asks--it would be great if you could--I'm worried about him. You worry too much about everything, he says. That's the nature of this particular beast, she says with a rueful smile. Some beast, he says--I left you a huge tip--don't spend it all at once. Smiling, she behind the counter. Oh, Joe, she says, noting the tip, and proceeds to fill the sugar containers. The blonde woman enters and sits at the counter. Hello! Says Maggie--menu? No, just coffee, please, the woman says. Maggie pours her a cup and asks how she is today. Fine, thank you, the blonde replies. You must have heard about Matthew Morgan, says Maggie. No, I haven't, the woman says. They got him last night, says Maggie--he was dead. Oh? asks the woman. Yeah, they found him that way, says Maggie, continuing to fill the sugar canisters--of a heart attack--so they say. So they say? asks the woman. Some people say he died of fright, says Maggie. What was he frightened of? asks the woman. As far-fetched as it may sound, he saw the ghost of Josette Collins, Maggie tells her.
The woman looks scared. I say that only because Vicki Winters, the girl that Matthew kidnapped, also saw the ghost--and she heard Matthew screaming at someone and swinging his ax--when all the time there wasn't a single human being in the place--it's one of those deaths that may never be explained. The blonde presses her fingers to her eyes as if she has a migraine. I'm sorry, says Maggie, did I say something to upset you? No, that's all right, the blonde says. I don't usually believe these old wives' tales, says Maggie, I'll bet it was good seeing your family again. I haven't seen them yet, the woman says. Trying to get your nerve up? suggests Maggie. In a way, the woman admits. I'm sure they're looking forward to seeing you, says Maggie brightly. I don't know, the blonde says. They're expecting you, aren't they? asks Maggie. No, the woman says. Then it will be a surprise! Says Maggie. More than that, the woman says, it'll be a shock!

Maggie dries a glass. You say your family will be shocked, says Maggie--you sound like they never expected to see you again. Something like that, says the blonde. Is that good or bad? Asks Maggie. Only the outcome will answer that question, the woman says. I sure hope it works out for you, says Maggie. Thank you, says the blonde, taking out a cigarette and lighting up. She blows out smoke and stares raptly at the flame before blowing out the match. You look very familiar, says Maggie--I wonder if I've seen you somewhere before. I doubt it, the woman says, you couldn't have been more than in your early teens when I left here. I'm may have bee a teenager, says Maggie, but I'm sure I've seen you before. The woman nervously licks her lips. Possibly, she says. You look like you could be one of the Spencers, says Maggie. I'm not, the woman replies. One of the Langs? suggests Maggie. (related to doctor?)
No, the woman replies, and rises to leave. You haven't even touched your coffee! Says Maggie (sacrilege!) That's all right, the woman says. My name is Maggie! Maggie says desperately, if I can do anything. Thank you. . .Maggie, says the woman, revealing nothing. She leaves. Maggie is frustrated.

At the Blue Whale, Joe and Sam hang out at the bar. Sam spills his drink and apologizes to the bartender, assuring him he'll hold his glass tighter next time--terrible waste of the country's natural resource, says Sam, who is very drunk. He slides an arm around Joe's shoulders--that's a fact--and I don't mean a little waste, and not just the spillers and the droppers of glasses, I mean the kind of people who would order drinks and then don't finish them--I mean, that's disgusting! He's slurring his words. It certainly is, says Joe, taking another slug. You're a good kid, says Sam, staggering from the bar, but you don't drink enough--where's Maggie. She ought to be here any minute, says Joe, checking his watch--she just left work--that's the eighth time you've asked me. Sam lights a cigarette. Yeah? Asks Sam, and how many times did you answer me? Eight times, replies Joe patiently. And how many times did you give me the same answer? asks Sam. Eight, says Joe. You're consistent if not accurate, says Sam with a chuckle, puffing on his cigarette. What's bothering you? asks Joe. I've got a lot on my mind, says Sam--things are catching up with me--the past stares you in the face, and all of a sudden, you can't see the future! Sam has turned serious now, and at this point, Maggie enters the bar and greets Joe and Pop--you look like you've been busy, she tells her father. Never mind, says Sam, pushing her down into a chair, sit down. Joe holds the chair out for her, a gentleman. I want to talk to you, says Sam, alone. If there's anything I can take, it's a hint, says Joe, moving away. You're a good kid, Joe, praises Sam. I know, says Joe, I just don't drink enough. That wasn't nice! Maggie tells her father. All right, says Sam, waving it away--who is she? I don't know, says Maggie. MAGGIE! he says. I tried, she says. I was depending on you! he protests. She wouldn't say anything, says Maggie. He grabs her arms. I've got to know! he cries. Pop, she chides--I did everything but ask for her name outright--it was very embarrassing, I felt like a spy--and she knew exactly what I was trying to find out--she seems like a very nice person, I felt ridiculous. If she's who I think she is, you'll just find out how nice she is, predicts Sam darkly--did she say anything to you at all? Just that her family wasn't expecting her and that they'd be surprised
--no, she said shocked--to see her. That sounds like her, says Sam. Who, Pop? demands Maggie. I've gotta be sure, he says, banging his fist on the table. He gets up from the table and stumbles to the door. Where are you going? she asks. I've got to find out for myself, he says. Maggie is upset. Joe comes over and asks her if he should go after him. No, it wouldn't do any good, she says--there's something upsetting him and he's not going to rest until he can clear it up. She stands--if he can clear it up, she adds. Where are you going now? asks Joe. Home, she says, I can't do anything here. He slips on his jacket and offers her a lift. She thanks him, and they leave the bar together.

Sam walks around the inn, into the front door. He enters the lobby and calls to Mr. Wells--are you here? He opens the guest register and looks at the pages, anxious as hell. He wipes his face with his hand, then reaches into his pocket for change.
He goes into the phone booth and is just about to dial when the blonde herself walks in. He huddles in the booth as if trying to hide, the phone held to his ear. She goes upstairs. Sam dials Collinwood. Roger answers, and, learning it's Sam, asks what he wants. You--at the Blue Whale, orders Sam--in two seconds flat. You're drunk, accuses Roger. Yeah, agrees Sam, and I'm gonna be drunker. What's the matter with you? asks Roger. The worst possible thing that could have happened HAS happened, Sam tells him, and hangs up. Roger looks at the dead phone and hangs up, too, then grabs his coat and hat from the bench in the foyer and leaves the house.

Sam knocks down another drink at the Blue Whale in one gulp. Roger comes in and sees Sam lighting a cigarette. I'm going to tell you once and for all, says Roger--I don't like to receive phone calls like that. Well, says Sam, I don't like to make phone calls like that--I'd like to avoid you as much as you want to avoid me, but unfortunately, old, dependable destiny has sketched a picture that includes the both of us. He pats Roger on the shoulder. You're drunk, as usual, says Roger distastefully. As usual, sure, agrees Sam, not as drunk as I should be--under the circumstances. What circumstances are you raving about? asks Roger. Sam rubs his face. first you have to help me get a little drunker, he says, and sits at a table. Roger waves over the bartender. Sam coughs. Help is on the way, says Roger, joining him at the table--this better be important--our relationship has just about come to an end--and this could very well finish it off. Roger, my friend, patron, says Sam--our relationship is going to be a lot closer than it ever was before--we're going to be like brothers! I doubt that, says Roger. I guarantee it, counters Sam. The bartender brings another drink over to Sam. Thank you, my good man, says Sam--he realizes Roger has no drink--you aren't drinking? No, says Roger. Here's to you, says Sam, to us, and whatever may happen--he drinks, then coughs. Are you going to tell me what's on your mind, or are you going to pass out first? inquires Roger, looking at Sam as if he were a bug on the table. When I tell you, says Sam, I want to be as close to passing out as possible. Come on, Evans! says Roger angrily. OK!--here's a hypothetical question for you, says Sam--what's the worst possible thing that could happen to you? All right, says Roger--you becoming my social equal. You are a snob, aren't you? asks Sam--I'll tell you this--becoming your equal is not a very desirable thing to be--what do you think of that? Exactly one minute I'm going to walk out of here, warns Roger, unless you tell me what's on your mind. You won't walk out of here, you'll stay, predicts Sam--you might even buy me another drink. Roger stands. You're a hopeless drunk! He says, furious--don't ever bother me again! He's about to leave when Sam grabs his arm. I saw someone, Sam says--I saw someone I never expected to see again--someone YOU never expected to see again! Whom have you seen? asks Roger. You didn't properly answer my hypothetical question, says Sam. I don't intend to be played with! says Roger, roughly pushing Sam's hand off his arm. Then I'll re-phrase my question, says Sam--who is the one person who could ruin your life more than anything in the world? ALL RIGHT, EVANS! says Roger, not intending to take this anymore. The person who could change your life as well as mine! hints Sam--huh? There's only one person who...says Roger. Sam claps his hands together once. That's right, Roger, he says, eyes gleaming, thrown out the welcome mat--Laura is back in town--smile, Roger, your wife is home!
And Sam laughs as Roger's face grows solemn and set in disgust.

NOTES: Here we are presented with the third part of the quadrangle amongst Burke, Sam and Roger--Laura Collins, Roger's estranged wife. Laura apparently married Roger as part of a deal to keep quiet about the fact that Roger, not Burke, was driving the car that killed the man in the road that night. She's been gone, presumably in a hospital, yet she told Maggie she's been to a lot of places, most recently Phoenix. She has a strange fascination for fire, witnessed by the way she looked at her match flame and her relating that tale of the Phoenix to Maggie. Sam is acting much the way he did when he learned Burke was back in town--would his treachery be revealed? Now that Laura has returned, Sam figures this manslaughter trial business will be replayed all over again, so he's terrified, mewling and bringing Roger down with him. Frankly, this last scene in which Sam was teasing Roger about what he knows was very annoying to me, much like the delay in David's telling Roger and Burke about Vicki's situation a couple of eps ago. I guess I understand why Sam wants to toy with Roger, who is such a snob and who hates him so much, but it was too drawn out and annoying for me.

Joe is taking Maggie home. Let's hope it's the beginning of a happy relationship for two nice people who deserve each other. Maggie did try her damnedest to get the woman to reveal her name, but to no avail. Sam treated his daughter miserably, but in many ways, while he is a loving father, I think the booze has pickled his brain.

This is clearly the beginning of a new storyline, the last before Barnabas joins us, followed by Julia and Angelique.

Have a great weekend! Watch for advance Robservations for next week beginning a bit later! Be careful of SPOILERS!

Love, Robin