Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0125  (Read 986 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0125
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0125
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »
I like the bit of reality added by Roger going through the house, battening the hatches for the coming storm.   Does Malloy's ghost trigger Matthew's decision to act, by saying unhelpfully that someone would die at Collinwood that night?   Malloy was human not long ago, and should remember how humans react to statements like that:  "Well, that someone ain't gonna be me!"  Damn rookie ghosts...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
I like the bit of reality added by Roger going through the house, battening the hatches for the coming storm.

Yeah, Louis Edmonds did a believable job with that.
And next up is one of the most agonizing episodes as we wait for David to spill the beans.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
More brilliance from Thayer David!

Still thinking that someone is outside and clearly falling into madness, Matthew is distracted. Then he remembers what he's doing--sort of. He goes out to take the food to the car and to bring the car up to the house.Why didn’t he just bring the car up to the house first?? I guess there's no accounting for what madness will do to a person. Later he thinks that Vicki is actually Miz Stoddard, but unfortunately for her, he recovers.

Once again we get the story of how the widows want a third girl. Being a real humanitarian, Matthew tells Vicki he's thought of a way to kill her that will make the widows happy.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
I also remember Roger's very believable bit about securing the windows and doors. Presumably this was one of Matthew's chores, because nobody seems to do it later on.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »
David once again hopes Roger dies and Roger refuses to agree not to punish him. While this is going on Matthew decides that he will leave and take Vickie as hostage.
Vickie finally realizes she needs to placate Matthew instead of arguing with him. Matthew goes to get the hidden car.
Bill appears to David warns him of Vickies need for help and the audience finally gets proof that David has seen a ghost.  Bill also appears to Matthew and drives him over the edge.
Vickie manages to loosen the ropes and runs out straight into Matthews clutches. He thinks she is Elizabeth giving Vickie the glimmer op hope that she can escape, but then he comes back to his reality and decides he must kill the snooping governess.
Burke meanwhile has come pounding at the door of the Great house at Collinwood in response to David's call. Roger stubbornly refuses to get David. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:46:02 AM »
Malloy was human not long ago, and should remember how humans react to statements like that:  "Well, that someone ain't gonna be me!"  Damn rookie ghosts...
Do ghosts have a memory of what it was like to be alive?  Later on in the series they seem to, but at this point I think they're just sort of ghostly.

I also remember Roger's very believable bit about securing the windows and doors. Presumably this was one of Matthew's chores, because nobody seems to do it later on.
If Elizabeth fires Roger from his cannery job, maybe he can get her to hire him as Matthew's replacement.

David once again hopes Roger dies and Roger refuses to agree not to punish him.
Watching this scene, I had a vivid memory of the kindness of the Louis Edmonds character to the David Henesy character in episode 803.

Vickie manages to loosen the ropes and runs out straight into Matthews clutches.
Before leaving the secret room, she should have grabbed the candlestick on the shelf by the door – the one that Matthew knocked over the other day.  It looks heavy.

What a nice job they did with the appearance and disappearance of Bill Malloy’s ghost in the foyer!  Does Frank Schofield think he's got a recurring role now?  And why isn't Bill appearing to Mrs. Stoddard?  I'd like to see a Dark Shadows version of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  And never mind the fact that only a few paragraphs ago I said that at this point in the series I think ghost are just sort of ghostly.  A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.