Poll

Where  do you think the next fest should be.

The Pacific Northwest
The Midwest
The Great Lakes Area
The East Coast
The West Coast
The South/ East
The Central / Texas
New England Area
The Rockies Area
Merry Old England

Author Topic: Where should they have a fest?  (Read 8011 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Where should they have a fest?
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:08:47 AM »
Since there is so muich discussion where the fest should be lest's have a poll.  Do you think that there should be other places than just New York and LA? Lets voice our OPINION. You can vote up to 4 times, and you can explain your votes. Lets see what we come up with maybe we can give the organizers some ideas. It's just a thought.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Where should they have a fest?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:06:19 AM »
Do you think that there should be other places than just New York and LA?
Absolutely!  The Festival should travel all around the country; that way, more people could have a chance to attend and the die-hard fans will have a chance to see more of the country.  I would particularly love it if the Fest were held in New Orleans, or even if it were to be held as a cruise. Unfortunately because of the issue of cost and because most of the actors live in either New York or Los Angeles, the Fest has alternated coasts (though even that precendent may change in the future). There was one event held in Las Vegas, and in the early days I believe, conventions took place in Dallas, but as far as I know, no DS events have ever been held in the Midwest.

I think the Festival did circulate surveys in the past asking where people would like future conventions to be held, but for some reason, those suggestions were never pursued.  ???

A couple of months ago, I had a dream that it was announced the Fest would be in Atlanta.  I don't know where that idea came from, but at least it would be something different.

ProfStokes

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 03:20:30 PM »
Have one in Chicago - that's only three hours from me!  I'll bring the chips and soda.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 04:10:39 PM »
Haven't visited Chicago in a long while and would LOVE a Fest there.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »
There was a DS event in Louisville, Kentucky in 1986 or 1987, I don't remember which year.  Roger Davis and Jonathan Frid were guests.

The main obstacle is flying in actors.  There are media cons held each year where no actors attend from any show; it's all a fan-driven schedule of events.  There is nothing to stop anyone from deciding to have a DS event; get a hotel, let people know about it and schedule fan activities for the weekend.  The second main obstacle seems to be that few want to be the ones to organize such a thing - they want the event to come to them packaged and ready to go.

Nancy

There was one event held in Las Vegas, and in the early days I believe, conventions took place in Dallas, but as far as I know, no DS events have ever been held in the Midwest.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 05:08:31 PM »
Was there ever a Fest in St. Louis? That's where I am and that would be awesome! I'd also try to attend if it is in Chicago.

David

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 05:10:16 PM »
When I lived in NJ, I used to go to the Fanex horror con in the Baltimore area.
When they had stars, like Ingrid Pitt/Veronica Carlson from Hammer films, they were packed.

When they tried doing a fan driven con without stars, no one came.

Maybe a DS event could be combined with a Hammer
or Star Trek event, since there's so much fan crossover.
Trek could really work, KL Scott was on Next Gen, and she also did Space: 1999.  

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 05:17:05 PM »
Certain fandoms seem to be more into the actors than others.  MediaCon and others similar to it do very well to having only fans in attendance.  I don't know why that's true with one fandom and not another.

DS events have been combined with Chiller Theater and a comic book convention. It's been done.  I think the DS events at both involved Q&As by DS actors, the sell of DS merchandise and autographs being signed.

nancy

When I lived in NJ, I used to go to the Fanex horror con in the Baltimore area.
When they had stars, like Ingrid Pitt/Veronica Carlson from Hammer films, they were packed.

When they tried doing a fan driven con without stars, no one came.

Maybe a DS event could be combined with a Hammer
or Star Trek event, since there's so much fan crossover.
Trek could really work, KL Scott was on Next Gen, and she also did Space: 1999.

David

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 05:30:56 PM »
About a month ago, there was a comic con here in SF, Kathryn was there, right across from Noel Neill (TV's Lois Lane)

KLS drew a nice crowd at her table, DS & Trek fans alike.
She actually asked me to plug the DS audio dramas to some Trekkies who stopped by the same time I did, LOL!

David

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 06:50:33 PM »
Was there ever a Fest in St. Louis? That's where I am and that would be awesome!

The old Prodigy DS board tried to put together a 1-day Fest there in the late 90s but the plan didn't pan out.  I think they had one of the actors lined up-- Diana Millay, if I'm not mistaken.  At least then, there apparently were a lot of fans in the St. Louis area, and some of them weren't able to attend the Fests on either coast.  Was teenaged RachelDrummand a fan back then?  :)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:38:31 PM »
Chicago would be the most convenient for me too. Needless to say there are TONS of great old hotels there.  One of my favorites is the Drake - which is supposed to be haunted.

I would also love to see it done in Newport, RI but, I suppose that would be a little difficult to coordinate.  Wouldn't it be cool to convince Salve Regina University to let us rent the Carey mansion for the fest activities? A Dark Shadows Fest at Collinwood - makes me dizzy just thinking about it!  Accommodations at discount prices around town might be a major stumbling block but, who knows?
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

RachelDrummand

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »
Was teenaged RachelDrummand a fan back then?  :)

Indeed I was! I became acquainted with the series back in 1994 from the sci fi channel. I've never been to a Fest, but if they ever decide to have one near where I live, I'll try to go. :)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »
Chicago would be the most convenient for me too. Needless to say there are TONS of great old hotels there.  One of my favorites is the Drake - which is supposed to be haunted.

There are quite a few tours of haunted spots in Chicago.  That would be a blast - a whole bunch of DS Fest fans out on the prowl looking for spooks!  Here's one website:  http://www.chicagohauntings.com/

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 01:06:45 PM »
There are quite a few tours of haunted spots in Chicago.  That would be a blast - a whole bunch of DS Fest fans out on the prowl looking for spooks!  Here's one website:  http://www.chicagohauntings.com/

You could count me in on that! I've only been on one ghost tour in my life but it was a really great one...Edinburgh, Scotland.  We didn't see anything but it was still a creepy good time. Thanks for the link Gerard.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 03:16:21 PM »
The next fest should be in Dallas for old-times sake, and because I live there  ;)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey