Author Topic: How DS Fests effect your DS viewing -  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: How DS Fests effect your DS viewing -
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 06:07:09 PM »
I run screaming from those hellacious "rockettes".......so could someone explain how I seem to have managed to click on them 6 times already?  [santa_angry]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 07:07:21 PM »
MB, dearest darling, the Spanish Inquisition missed out on a MARVELOUS resource in the fact that you were born several centuries too late to help out at the elbow of Cardinal Fang and the Comfy Chair...

In my own Carlotta-like way, I do what I can to keep the spirit of the Inquisition alive for certain of us.  [b003]  But like Quentin, I flatly state that I'm not Cardinal Fang. I love all of you! I'll always love all of you! And nothing can change that. And in that spirit, you'll note that the Rockettes Smileys have vanished. (Though that doesn't mean that they won't eventually be replaced by something else. In fact, I'd expect it sooner rather than later. [santa_wink])

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 07:09:36 PM »
MB, dearest darling, the Spanish Inquisition missed out on a MARVELOUS resource in the fact that you were born several centuries too late to help out at the elbow of Cardinal Fang and the Comfy Chair...

[lghy]

Yes, he's certainly evil incarnate.  (This is what watching DS for years can do to a man).
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 07:36:50 PM »
Yes, he's certainly evil incarnate.  (This is what watching DS for years can do to a man).

Well, I have admitted freely that Nicholas is one of my favorite DS characters. In fact, when Mark Rainey once compared me to Nicky, I took it as a compliment:

MB, you know, in this light you have marked resemblance to Nicholas Blair.
Why, thank you, Mark. ...

MB tends to be a WEE bit more benevolent than NB, at least when circumstances are right....

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 09:06:14 PM »
For me, watching DS and attending a Fest are two completely different universes.

So true.  Until I saw this post, I never thought about the effect of one on the other.

Except for the early days of my Fest attendance, I've never sought out autographs or tried to meet any of the celebrities.  I do enjoy the Q&A sessions, though, because it's a chance to see the cast members as they "really" are.  And I always try to catch any special performances or events.  But now, the Fests are more about hanging with my "cousins" than anything else.  (Although, I can never resist a well-stocked dealers' room...)

Personally, I always separate an artist's work from his/her personal life.  If I allowed myself to enjoy someone's work solely on the condition that I liked/respected him/her as a person, then I'd end up missing out on a lot of great work. [santa_grin]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 09:47:32 PM »
Except for the early days of my Fest attendance, I've never sought out autographs or tried to meet any of the celebrities.  But now, the Fests are more about hanging with my "cousins" than anything else.

True for me as well.  My first couple Fests I was an autograph WHORE and would stand in line for HOURS to get the stars to sign my program (don't even walk around w/THAT anymore, LOL!) or a picture I bought in the dealor's room.  I even stopped going to Fests from 98 until 02 'cause I got burned out.  Now I hang w/my friends and assorted "cousins".  The stars are an afterthought really.  Not trying to dis them, but the most reaction you'll get out of me these days at a star sighting at a Fest is a dull, "Oh, there's Lara" (or David, or Johnny etc...)

Don't really bother w/the Q&A's, cast reunions, star readings/performances etc...However, one event that I MUST see every year is the Costume Gala on Saturday night!  It's a HOOT!  We mix our cocktails and have a blast, LOL! ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 10:58:23 PM »
I guess that's why I've never really enjoyed a Fest much.  Don't have DS friends to hang out with.
Something I'd be interested in experiencing might be a good auction, but I have the feeling that any good, or rare, or odd items were probably auctioned off long ago.

What I'd love to see the most would be props from the sets.  I suppose there were never much of those around?  Anybody remember memorable things they saw at past Fest auctions?

[grinb]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 11:01:47 PM »
the Fests are more about hanging with my "cousins" than anything else.

I agree - they're a great way to see and spend time with friends that you only get to spend time with once a year or so during the Fests.

The stars are an afterthought really. Not trying to dis them, but the most reaction you'll get out of me these days at a star sighting at a Fest is a dull, "Oh, there's Lara" (or David, or Johnny etc...)

Same here. And even though the major thrill of seeing and/or speaking to them has waned since the first Fests I attended - I definitely still enjoy seeing them (well, more so for some than others  [wink2]).

Personally, I always separate an artist's work from his/her personal life.  If I allowed myself to enjoy someone's work solely on the condition that I liked/respected him/her as a person, then I'd end up missing out on a lot of great work.

Exactly.

And I always try to catch any special performances or events.

Definitely. Even though I've seen much of the recovered NoDS footage several times, I never miss one of Darren's presentations. And I'd never attended an LA Fest until this past one, and the reason I attended this year (beyond getting together with friends, of course) was to see the WB pilot because, supposedly, it was the only time it will be shown at a Fest (though I really hope that decision will be reconsidered because it deserves to be seen by as many fans as possible).

(Although, I can never resist a well-stocked dealers' room...)

I've been known to spend quite a bit of money in the dealers room, too. Although, I didn't spend a cent on anything at the last two Fests. In fact, now that I think about it, the last time I bought any sort of DS memorabilia at a Fest was when I bought the then new orange bordered card set in 2001. It has a few pictures that I had never seen before, and I can never resist buying something whenever that happens because it happens so rarely. (I really do wonder how "new" pictures can continue to surface after all these years - but who am I to complain?  [lghy])

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 09:09:13 AM »
And speaking of memorabilia and spending time & money... an autographed 8 x 10 photo of Don Briscoe just sold on E-Bay this week for $128.05!!!

I've been to one Fest, and had more fun hanging with the DS fans/friends than attending the actual planned events. Hanging around the piano in the hotel lobby, warbling Quentin's Theme with the group, was more exciting than posing for a photo with KLS. Nothing personal, Katie.