Author Topic: fangoria article  (Read 5903 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: fangoria article (also: Filmfax article)
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 07:27:27 PM »
Darren did an outstanding job. 

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: fangoria article
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2004, 07:42:47 PM »
Unless I run across this 'zine in a supermarket, I am never going to see it - which totally bums me out. The only thing that would be more of a bummer would be if I got my hands on one and there were no pics of Ivana as Angelique. I became totally obbsessed with her in this role, and was so disappointed by the pilot being dropped because I knew I'd never get to see her in it. What I saw of it at the fest was not at all satisfying in this regard, which made me wonder if she was not able to pull off the role. So little has been said about her or her performance in it that it made me start wondering about it.

Hopefully the article will appear on the Forum (on the appropriate board) when all the boards reopen. I am really eager to see the pic's and read the article. I am desperate to read anything positive about it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2004, 08:15:48 PM »
Unless I run across this 'zine in a supermarket, I am never going to see it

If anyone can't find the issue in a store, it can be bought from Fangoria's Web site.

The only thing that would be more of a bummer would be if I got my hands on one and there were no pics of Ivana as Angelique.

There are some great pictures of Ivana (in and out of ghastly make-up). There's also a wonderful photo of Alec Newman's Barn in Barn's lavish bedroom. And even a photo of Kelly Hu's Julia.

Hopefully the article will appear on the Forum (on the appropriate board) when all the boards reopen.

Perhaps - at some point. But the reopening the Members' Archive is still quite a while away...

I am desperate to read anything positive about it.

Then the article would not disappoint. And one thing's for certain - every cent of the budget showed up in the production values.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 09:29:20 PM »
If anyone can't find the issue in a store, it can be bought from (URL)

I'm glad you reposted this. When Midnite posted the URL the website wasn't displaying the issue w/DS in it, so I ignored the site, being unsure if it was the correct issue.

Now, do I need to worry about this phantom site exploit thing that's going on?

There are some great pictures of Ivana (in and out of ghastly make-up).

Geez, how can I resist now!?

Thanks for the info, MB.

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2005, 09:02:14 AM »
Finally got around to reading the article tonight.  From what I got out of it, it sounds like the rush job they had to do on filming the pilot is what did it in.  Everyone seemed to think it was a great script, but then apparently they had to trim a bunch of stuff and completely cut a big important scene, and apparently the WB people were too dumb or too impatient to realize how awesome it would be if they had more time to work on it. [santa_angry]  Which really doesn't make too much sense since they were so high on the script in the first place.  So the fact that the idiots in charge wanted to take the network in a new direction probably had something to do with it.  Glad their new direction backfired on them! [santa_evil]  You'd think somebody at some network (or the WB under the new regime), though, would have seen the potential in it and would have run with it -- don't really understand why that didn't happen.  Wonder if there's still something we're not being told.  Anyway, glad Mark Verheiden still seems interested! [santa_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 12:31:06 AM »
Once again, The WB's "The Mountain" was network television's least watched program. The freshman dud was No. 109 with a 1.0/2, hooking only 1.36 million viewers, fewer than an "America's Funniest Home Videos" repeat on PAX.

Yes, I freely admit that I'm obsessed with the poor performance of The Mountain. But my obsession will have to come to an end because the WB halted production on the show and this past Sunday's episode was the "Last first-run episode of the season." Yeah, right - like the show has a snowball's chance in hell of getting a second season?  ::)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 01:57:22 AM »
Yesterday was my first chance to visit the forum in about three weeks (two weeks away, then an Internet connection in my building that has gone down every night this week before I've had the chance to get here) ... so when I saw this thread about the "Fangoria" article, I remembered that I had received a $5 gift certificate from Borders for using their credit card and rushed to their store last night.  I knew my local Borders carried Fangoria, but to my dismay, when I spotted the magazine, they already had the February issue out.

Major disappointment, though maybe I'll consider purchasing it directly (thanks for the link to the website, MB).

Not sure I would have been sold on the new series from the publicitiy pix I've seen of the "monsters" or reading about the breakneck pace of the pilot, which seems geared toward those with MTV attention spans.  But of course I haven't seen the pilot so can't judge.  The lavish sets sounded intriguing though.

(An aside - as consolation for not finding the January issue of Fangoria, I was able to use the $5 gift certificate towards "The Essential Frankenstein," which I happily discovered has just been reprinted after about 20 years.)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Valerie Collins

• View Profile
The WB series
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2005, 01:34:36 PM »
If you go to www.barnabasundead.com they have more information about the WB pilot and the writer of that pilot talks about what he had planned for the series that was never picked up by the WB for their fall schedule. 

I am so disappointed that the WB chose not to add "Dark Shadows" to their lineup.  And now I find out that the writer of the new series was going to add my favorite character, Burke Devlin to future episodes.

I don't understand why the WB didn't even have the new "Dark Shadows" for their midseason lineup.  A lot of the shows they had for their fall lineup have failed.  DS would have been a great series for midseason.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: The WB series
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 03:55:52 AM »
I hear talk that the January 2005 issue of Fangoria Magazine has an article about the making of the WB pilot for Dark Shadows.  I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet.  Hopefully someone here can fill the rest of us in what it's about.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The WB series
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 05:26:33 AM »
I hear talk that the January 2005 issue of Fangoria Magazine has an article about the making of the WB pilot for Dark Shadows.  I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet.  Hopefully someone here can fill the rest of us in what it's about.

Miss_Winthrop,

I think you'll find the info you're seeking, in addition to how you can go about ordering a copy, in the pages of this newly merged topic.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2005, 05:36:49 PM »
I looked at that Fangoria issue in a store, and there wasn't much new there that I could see.  There weren't many photos and none were an improvement on the ones published on Collinwood.net.

The article seemed to argue that network execs short-sightedness and budget issues were what doomed it, which was pretty much what I had gathered from the numerous posts here over the past year.

It's an expensive magazine, so I would say--only order it from the website if you're a completist with the "remakes of DS" stuff.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2005, 06:55:54 PM »
Well, as I said, the picture of Alec Newman's Barn that was taken in the Old House is really quite wonderful. But is it worth $10.00 (which I think is Fangoria's back issues price)? Probably not - unless, as Gothick puts it, you're a completist. Many of the other photos are quite similar to ones Stuart has posted on his site - though the one of Kelly Hu's Julia is unlike any I've seen of her.

The things in the article that I found very interesting were the potential storyline directions that Mark Verheiden laid out. A particular one dealing with Barn seems as if it might have been a radical departure from how we've come to expect his introduction to play out, and I keep meaning to post a topic about it. Hopefully soon because I think it could stimulate some interesting discussion...

(One other incentive for me to actually buy the issue was the article on Blade: Trinity. If you're into the Blade movies, it's a must have - for just so many reasons.  ;))

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2005, 08:30:35 PM »
Thanks, MB.

I'm not into those Blade movies, but I may rent Blade: Trinity when it's out on disc because of those scorching shots of Ryan Reynolds from the film a friend sent to me...

It would be nice if the material presented in the Fangoria article had percolated into the lore of those media columnists who keep repeating that the WB canceled Angel to make room for DS, then ditched the latter because the material was "unsalvageable."

I didn't have time to read anything about the storylines in that article.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2005, 08:40:17 PM »
It would be nice if the material presented in the Fangoria article had percolated into the lore of those media columnists who keep repeating that the WB canceled Angel to make room for DS, then ditched the latter because the material was "unsalvageable."

If only. But it certainly appears as if the people who keep repeating that line are determined to stick to it -  no matter how much info comes out to the contrary.  ::)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2005, 10:26:51 PM »
Steve,

I'd highly recommend picking up the Fangoria...

I have a fondness for everything written (well, almost everything) by that particular writer who penned the DS piece..

;D.