Author Topic: Don't I Get a Room in this Fleabag Historical Home?  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Don't I Get a Room in this Fleabag Historical Home?
« on: August 21, 2002, 07:27:59 AM »
If I were Julia  .. i'd be asking the above question and complaining about always having to catch a few winks in a wingbacked chair thats 200 years old and has springs sticking my *ss.  Now if Naomi & Joshua, Aunt Abigail, Barnabas & Jeremiah, Natalie, Josette, Sarah, Millicent, her brother (forget his name) plus all them servants could bed down there for a night. . why didn't Julia get her own room??
Julia99

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Don't I Get a Room in this Fleabag Historical Home?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 07:32:06 AM »
Not just Julia.  That's the only place I have ever seen Barnabas sleep in other than his coffin.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2002, 07:37:22 AM »
So true. . except for when he was **young** and dying of the bat bite. . .
Julia99

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2002, 09:52:22 AM »
Not just Julia.  That's the only place I have ever seen Barnabas sleep in other than his coffin.

Im constantly wondering where on earth he sleeps now. I thought it strange today when he told Julia he was dead tired and wanted to get some sleep, then says "I'll go down and sleep in the chair!!" Doesn't he have his own bedroom??  Since the only two bedrooms in the house that have been re-done are Josette's & Willie's,  Im beginning to wonder if he just uses Josette's room as his sleeping quarters.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2002, 09:53:38 AM »
I really can't figure this out.  Back in the old days, I assumed that he had only restored the "show rooms" downstairs and Josette's room.  And, we did see Willie's room at one time.

But, now that he's human, I would assume that he's at least fixed up a room for himself.  And with as often as Julia seems to be there, you'd certainly think there would be a room somewhere where she could lie down properly!!
Josette

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2002, 11:57:43 AM »
 Now if Naomi & Joshua, Aunt Abigail, Barnabas & Jeremiah, Natalie, Josette, Sarah, Millicent, her brother (forget his name)

DANIEL
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2002, 12:04:49 PM »
If I were Julia  ..  why didn't Julia get her own room??

She has the gurney in the basement lab...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2002, 05:17:47 PM »
If I were Julia  .. i'd be asking the above question and complaining about always having to catch a few winks in a wingbacked chair thats 200 years old and has springs sticking my *ss.  Now if Naomi & Joshua, Aunt Abigail, Barnabas & Jeremiah, Natalie, Josette, Sarah, Millicent, her brother (forget his name) plus all them servants could bed down there for a night. . why didn't Julia get her own room??

The flip answer is that it's because DC was too cheap to spring for another set.

I think that we saw Willie's bedroom and that there was a reference to there being a bedroom for Barnabas, but not sure if we ever see that.

Ya know, when I was first watching the show on tape, I remember longing to see stuff like this--did these people never eat?  (I didn't see the pre-Barnabas tapes for years).  What did so and so's room look like?  Then there would be the anticipation--oh, cool, they're going to have a party!  They'll be extras and maybe there will be another set . . .

all fading away to disappointment  :(

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2002, 09:38:12 PM »
How's this for a rationalization of cheap production values?

I read years ago (gods, it's decades now) that gentlemen of the upper classes tended to sleep sitting up in a chair right up until the 1880s or 90s, rather than retiring to bed.

It was so they didn't muss their hair, apparently.

Just goes to show you how arbitrary assigned gender appropriate behaviors are from culture to culture.

Gothick

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2002, 09:42:08 PM »
At this point in the storyline, both the Old House and Collinwood sets were up all the time there was already the Josette's Room set up for goog old Joe.  Add some woods, a cemetery, and Angelique's coffin area in "The House by the Sea," and you've probably got a full studio!  

Of course, TPTB seemed unconcerned where BC slept, unless it was in his coffin.  As a kid watching the show, I never took time to worry about these inconsistensies, as long as something else interesting or exciting was going on.

Petofi

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2002, 10:14:10 PM »
--did these people never eat?  Then there would be the anticipation--oh, cool, they're going to have a party!  They'll be extras and maybe there will be another set . . .

What about that "so called dinner party" that they invited Nickolas Blair to at the old house?  I kept waiting for Nickolas to say " what a lovely dinner that was" (wonder did he ever get to eat?)  or at least have someone mention it, but instead they wound up chewing his ear off for 4 hours. ::)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 11:16:55 PM »

wouldn't be proper to have her own room in The Old House but she does seem to spend the night there so ?????Did barnabas have a room in 1795?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2002, 12:31:11 AM »
Did barnabas have a room in 1795?

jennifer

I remember seeing him lying in a bedroom after Angelique tried to choke him to death using a wooden toy soldier, handkerchief, and a evil spell.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2002, 06:44:13 AM »
Even if they didn't want to have a set built to be his bedroom they could have least made a reference to his going into another bedroom to lie down.  It was just plain silly for Julia and him  to say we are going down stairs and sit in a chair to get a few winks.  If that is the case spring for a recliner or better yet get a couch.  

Birdie--it is almost time for me to hit the sack guess I will go find a chair
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2002, 08:19:55 AM »
wouldn't be proper to have her own room in The Old House but she does seem to spend the night there so ?????Did barnabas have a room in 1795?

Barnabas did have his own room in 1795.  That's one of the things I liked about that time period, we got to see just about everyone's upstairs bedrooms. All the bedrooms were decorated so nicely too. We even got to see the servants rooms, (Vicky & Angelique)  I guess D.C. really splurged during that sequence, then figured he'd better make up for it by cutting down on everything during the present time period.
"Calamity Jane"