Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1213  (Read 1004 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1213
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1213
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
I wonder if it would change anything if Gabriel were blind drunk when he went into the Room.  Probably not; probably he'd just end up dead instead of insane.

Frid and Jackson did a lovely job of their scene together.  Of course the writers had fun with the Frid character never having heard of Gerard Stiles.  But general conversation about this and that is rare on Dark Shadows, which makes it precious.  Daphne's description of the boys all leaving Collinsport and coming back with wives was interesting; I would have thought that the boys stayed in Collinsport and became fishermen.  But I guess the sort of boys who became fishermen would not be the sort of boys that the doctor's daughter would want to marry.

Morgan keeps getting meaner and meaner.  I suppose, to be charitable, one could imagine that, knowing for nearly all his life that he had no control over whether or not he would go into the Room, he compensated by becoming a control freak in all other areas of his life.  This leads me to ponder the possibility that the best thing that ever happened to Quentin was that he was forced to be away from Collinwood for seven years, in prison where there was no Collins curse and no Collins privilege.  He had seven years to be just another prison inmate.  This in turn leads me to wonder: why did Quentin go back to Collinwood after his prison term?  Maybe he wouldn't have if it had been just a couple of years.  Maybe he needed all of seven years to come to terms with his heritage.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »
Interesting thoughts on Quentin, Lydia. He might also have returned home because the family business would be more likely to hire an ex-convict. For such an authoritative woman, Flora does seem to have raised quite a clutch of problematic sons!

The conversation with Bramwell and Daphne is one of my all-time favorite scenes. I love the scorn in his voice when he imagines Catherine's life at the Great House, especially when he says, LET her draw! It was fun to see that Bramwell has forgotten Gerard Stiles, but who knew that young ladies of 1840 went out on dates! And Daphne, with her fledgling feathers ruffled, is so sweet when she reminds Bramwell that she's no longer a child.  My other favorite bit in this scene is how JF registers the abrupt change from warmth and genuine interest with Daphne to subzero when Julia arrives!

Good scene also with Daphne and Catherine, who seems to have forgotten that Josette lives at the Old House too, so Daphne's staying there isn't nearly so improper as Catherine and Morgan would have us believe. No doubt Catherine is thinking of Bramwell's reminiscence of how they met (and how he made her miss church, bad boy!) when she warns Daphne against his charm--which seems to be all the more powerful for being so well hidden.

Morgan and Julia finally manage to get Gabriel into the Locked Room. But what will they find when this long night is over?....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:05:53 AM »
These ep's are well done, but I find little to say about them.   The Daphne/Bramwell scene was good, and yes, it's great to watch characters pause, think, take stock, get to know each other better.   I get so tired of constant plot-plot-plot...

So PT Daphne "went out" (did they say that?) with PT Gerard!    I think my enjoyment of these ep's is enhanced by their taking the focus off of Morgan.   Is Gabriel really the best choice to end the Collins curse?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »
Interesting thoughts on Quentin, Lydia. He might also have returned home because the family business would be more likely to hire an ex-convict.
Parallel time 1840 doesn't seem to be to different from our-time 1840 in terms of technology, so I think Quentin could have gone elsewhere and had himself a decent career without anybody ever knowing of his criminal past.  And he seems to be far more at peace with himself than he would be if he felt trapped at Collinwood.

My other favorite bit in this scene is how JF registers the abrupt change from warmth and genuine interest with Daphne to subzero when Julia arrives!
Yes indeed!  It's not really related, but I was thinking about how Bramwell had known Julia since before he could remember - imagine him as a toddler, maybe sort of nervous of her!  Very unlike Barnabas and Julia.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:15:16 PM »
Bramwell as a tot:  ROTFLMAO!