Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1211  (Read 684 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1211
« on: May 09, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1211
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »
Fantastic episode.

I have this idea that after the Watching Project is finished, we could start up a Pairs Project, involving watching a pair of episodes every week, and talking about the differences and similarities between them.  I'd pair this episode with episode 714.  Two full sets of Collinses (except for Melanie in this episode) discussing the latest issue to grip the family.  What fun!

From a purely and detestably objective standpoint, the Collinses ought to throw Melanie into the Room, because she's damaged goods already.  That's not the Collins way, however, though I'll bet Morgan would like the idea.  On the other hand, the Room may require that its prey be of sound mind and body.

I'm coming up with the same question in 1841 parallel time as I did for 1840 our-time: was Flora a Collins before she married Justin?  She acts as though she's been a Collins all her life, but the plague a few generations back would seem to have cleared the decks of distant Collins cousins for Justin to marry.  Did Flora come to Collinwood as Catherine comes now, a dewy-eyed innocent believing that she could make everything all better?  I find that possibility hard to swallow, because if that were the case, I don't think Julia would be standing aside and letting her run the lottery show now.  So, if Flora was not born a Collins, she believed the story of the Room when it was told to her.  Was that before or after she married Justin?  However Flora came to be where she is now - born a Collins or a Collins by marriage - there's a wonderful back story there. 

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »
The first time I saw this episode, I was totally bowled over by the final scene. I loved JB's combination of formality and fatalism as she intones the ritual lottery formula.

I always thought Flora came to Collinwood as a bride. If we assume that she too came from money, we can probably assume that her family would have followed the aristocratic tradition whereby women left their families to marry and men brought their wives home. I suppose the obligation to produce an heir (and at least one spare?) would have reinforced her new identity--as would her responsibility for Justin after he went into the Room.

What strikes me about PT is that even though Morgan is clearly of age, Flora is still the head of the family and Mistress of Collinwood--even though Justin has died. In the normal universe, she might even have retired to a cottage on the estate, and Morgan would become the new Master, but she's still very much in charge. I've also always thought that Julia was born a Collins. Once she decided not to marry (there must be a story there too!), the strong-willed Julia probably felt she had to fashion some kind of role for herself that would keep her from being totally eclipsed by Justin and maybe also by Flora. Hence her fanatical and single-minded devotion to the family honor--and its secrets too.

I like the idea of a Pairs Project! But I don't really know the eps. well enough to suggest any other pairs. Maybe a trio or quartet of the various times Barnabas had to insert himself into the family?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Yes, both Flora and Julia must have terrifically interesting personal histories.

As for the Pairs Project, I also had a further idea on the subject, which was that MB might take great joy in presenting us with a pair and then challenging us to figure out why he had put those two episodes together.  Knowing MB, I figure he would make it fiendishly difficult and that once the reason was revealed there would be further discussion of whether the pairing made sense.  But I also have a list squirreled away of more obvious pairs that could be suggested.  Assuming enough people were interested in the idea, of course.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:09:36 AM »
Just watched it, it did strike me as a good episode, but for the proverbial life of me, I can't put my finger on why.   I'm going to guess that it was a matter of how the cast and crew felt that day, though that's probably not why.   I just couldn't point to any lines that stood out, but everyone seemed energized, and anxious to squeeze subtleties out of the lines and situations, with their acting.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor