Author Topic: Recap Episode  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Recap Episode
« on: May 15, 2003, 08:45:33 AM »
I was wondering if an episode like this, with so many flashbacks, was able to incorporate the original tape or if all of the "old" scenes were repeated for the new episode.  Some sets, like Josette's room, would have been available, but others, like the burnt out studio, would have had to be recreated.  I don't recall the details of any of the scenes well enough to tell if they were identical or just very similar to the original.

Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Recap Episode
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 06:01:28 PM »
I think all the scenes were repeated except the one between Barnabas and Oberon, which was completely revamped and reshot.  For one thing, Haza was there the first time.  I assume it was rewritten to add details that would help the plot, and Barnabas' role in the Leviathan plan, make more sense.  As if.  ::)

This is also why Peter Lombard was available to do the opening voiceover, which never aired during syndication because it somehow got dropped when reformatted (for distribution), so if you taped the ep off the tv you won't have it.  It's on the MPI tape, and here's the text for anyone that may be interested:

"This will be an eventful night at Collinwood, for Julia Hoffman has learned more about the menace that threatens the Collins family...  And on this night, she will finally find out the secret of what happened in the year 1897 and how Barnabas Collins became the unwilling pawn of a mysterious and evil people."

So, did DC have to pay KLS and Roger Davis in order to replay their scenes?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 07:50:29 PM »
it somehow got dropped when reformatted (for distribution)

Actually, the entire teaser did play in syndication before DS began its runs on the Sci-Fi Channel (it appears on the tape I'd made back in 1988). Why did it get dropped once DS began showing exclusively on Sci-Fi? Who knows? Back during the 70s and 80s syndication days, why did Worldvision continue to place episode #771 between #511 and #512 despite the fact that they knew it didn't belong there? Why didn't they include episodes #509, #683, #763, 771, #797. #801, #805 and #813 in that syndication package despite being in possession of the master tapes or kinescopes for them? And why did Sci-Fi continue to play episodes #961 - #964 out of sequence through three previous runs despite having been alerted to the problem after it happened the first time? These are questions mere mortals such as ourselves were obviously never meant to fathom. [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 07:58:05 PM »
These are questions mere mortals such as ourselves were obviously never meant to fathom. [wink2]

So.....you're merely mortal after all, are you?   [smrtasb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 08:03:48 PM »
So.....you're merely mortal after all, are you?   [smrtasb]

Have I ever claimed otherwise on the forum? In fact, I seem to recall a post I'd made during a curse/cure debate...well, let's not go there...once was more than enough for that. ;)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 10:16:58 PM »
it somehow got dropped when reformatted (for distribution)

Actually, the entire teaser did play in syndication before DS began its runs on the Sci-Fi Channel (it appears on the tape I'd made back in 1988). Why did it get dropped once DS began showing exclusively on Sci-Fi? Who knows?

Actually, I really liked how the episode opened sans narration, going right into the action of Barnabas telling Julia the whole sad, sordid tale.  It gave it a real intensity, like this-is-so-important-that-we-don't-have-time-to-catch-you-up.

Gerard (Hey, I just realized I've gone over 500 posts - I'll hafta pour myself a Blue Skyy martini tonight to celebrate.)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 12:20:52 AM »

Gerard (Hey, I just realized I've gone over 500 posts - I'll hafta pour myself a Blue Skyy martini tonight to celebrate.)

[size=8]GO GERARD!![/size]

:-*Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 01:25:06 AM »
[size=8]GO GERARD!![/size]

You're almost there, too, Patti!  Hurry up!  I wanna shake (and not stir) another Blue Skyy!

Gerard