Author Topic: No more Mozilla?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
No more Mozilla?
« on: March 25, 2003, 09:11:48 AM »
For a week or two now, I have been able to come here with Mozilla and haven't had to bother bringing up IE just for this.  What a pleasure (a couple of little details I've been meaning to ask about, though).

A little while ago I got in and was reading Robservations (in Mozilla).  When I then tried to access anything else, I got an error message that it's no longer working with Mozilla.  That was really weird, since I was using it at that moment!

Anyhow, here I am, back with IE.  I hope this is temporary.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:No more Mozilla?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 11:57:42 PM »
Anyhow, here I am, back with IE.  I hope this is temporary.

Temporary, yes - but the ban on use will continue for the foreseeable future for the reason stated in the error message, which is the same reason it was banned in SP. :( The only reason the browser was able to be used in SE beforehand was that I hadn't figured out how to ban its use with SE yet.

Once the Mozilla programmers or someone else comes up with a workaround, Mozilla and Netscape 7.x will be able to be used with the forum again. :)

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 10:48:12 PM »
Apple's browser Safari no longer works as well which is a little surprizing considering it's not based on the gecko engine.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 11:43:34 PM »
Apple's browser Safari no longer works as well which is a little surprizing considering it's not based on the gecko engine.

That's true - Safari is based on the open-source rendering engine KHTML, which also powers the Linux KDE Desktop environment's Konqueror browser.

The browsers that are banned for use on the forum aren't actually banned because of the gecko engine. To be honest, I have no idea why Safari isn't working any longer - but I'll try to look into it...

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 02:43:40 AM »
Thanks MB  This is the message I get with Safari:

Unfortunately, the browser you're currently using: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/60 (like Gecko) Safari/60 has security issues with Dark Shadows Forums. Until further notice, in order to access the forum, you must use MSIE 4.0 or later or Netscape 6.0, 6.1 or 6.2. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

IE  5.2 for Mac OS X works fine.   It also wouldn't work when we had the old board.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 12:04:35 AM »
This is the message I get with Safari:

Unfortunately, the browser you're currently using: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/60 (like Gecko) Safari/60...

How odd - your problem with Safari is that it's reporting itself as using Mozilla/5.0, even though Safari is based on KHTML. :-  I've done several different Web searches to try to determine why this is but haven't had any luck. However, I will continue to try to track down why this might be happening...

IE  5.2 for Mac OS X works fine.   It also wouldn't work when we had the old board.

Well, at least there's that. ;)

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 01:35:35 AM »
Good luck and thank you.  Safari is far superior to IE or any other browser for the Mac.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 07:23:44 PM »
 ???Is 'safari' a search engine, like IE or Netscape?
If so, does one obtain it by www.   safari?

Patti ???
What a Woman!

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2003, 03:06:00 AM »
Yes, Safari is a browser like IE or Netscape.  It is only for Macintosh OS X. 2 not Windows.   If you have that you can download the latest public beta from www.apple.com