Author Topic: Note to MB re Microsoft comments  (Read 782 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Note to MB re Microsoft comments
« on: June 16, 2002, 07:05:31 AM »
I'm curious, given your remarks here, whether you use WordPerfect or something else instead of Word!

I'm a WordPerfect user and at wpuniverse.com, which I regularly follow, there are naturally a lot of anti Microsoft comments.  There are some who have a comparison chart between the two programs - done fairly (i.e., if Word does something better, they DO point it out).  However, they show all sorts of things that are superior and easier in WP.  I use it at a fairly basic level, so I can't follow all of that, but in my little experience with Word I find it very difficult to even figure out the most basic things!

I'm actually much more upset at what they've done against WP (or any other word processor that was still trying to make it) than the operating system.  First of all, virtually every computer comes with Word.  How many people, if they aren't already familiar with something else, would bother to get something else instead of using the free one already provided?  And, I imagine these days, most people don't even realize that there is an alternative.  

On top of that, lots of companies, including some really dedicated WP places, keep changing in order to be more compatible with "everyone else."  Someone at the forum the other day mentioned that his wife's company was finally changing as they apparently had to deal with too many others with Word.  It's also complicated some of my dealings if I have to e-mail something.

That's the part that outrages me.  It's as though they are really forcing any other company out of business, and, since those comparison charts show WP to be the superior product, it's really frustrating!!  And, while I would have no way of knowing, some of their comments have indicated that the operating system isn't so great either!!

I found it quite funny to see that the judge in their case is requiring the documents to be in WP!!

Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Note to MB re Microsoft comments
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 04:25:53 AM »
Well, I don't use Word. ;)

Actually, I rarely use word processing software unless I'm snail mailing someone a letter - and I can't even remember the last time I did that. [lghy]  I do have WordPerfect around here somewhere, but it's not even installed on my computer at the moment.