Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0183  (Read 912 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0183
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:20 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0183
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:06:40 AM »
So Laura's the undead.  Does that mean she's a vampire?

Laura's allies are deserting her.  It seems to me that having gone through this business at least twice before, she ought to be pretty skilled at it, but here she is running out of time and getting desperate.  And if the answer is, "Well, she doesn't really remember the previous times," my question is: what's the point of eternal life if you can't remember it?  But, on the other hand, if you go through this only once every 100 years, maybe the percentage of time spent on the regeneration process is so small that it's easy to forget the trouble it can be.  Sort of like putting off doing your taxes until April 15.

I enjoyed seeing Laura's impatience when she waited for Roger to come downstairs at the beginning of the episode.  Diana Millay's performance is so natural-looking that it's easy to forget that it is, in fact, a performance.  Meanwhile Millay is getting ready (or anyway, I hope she's getting ready) for a baby whom she has no intention of burning to death.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »
So Laura's the undead.  Does that mean she's a vampire?

Or an Egyptian mummy....

Laura's allies are deserting her.  It seems to me that having gone through this business at least twice before, she ought to be pretty skilled at it, but here she is running out of time and getting desperate.  And if the answer is, "Well, she doesn't really remember the previous times," my question is: what's the point of eternal life if you can't remember it?  But, on the other hand, if you go through this only once every 100 years, maybe the percentage of time spent on the regeneration process is so small that it's easy to forget the trouble it can be.  Sort of like putting off doing your taxes until April 15.

My egomania makes me appreciate you, Lydia, for all the thoughts and impressions you express which I might have had myself.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 03:29:23 PM »
Roger tells Dr. Guthrie that from the time when Laura first arrived at Collinwood, she has been worried about time running out. Dr. Guthrie finds this interesting but doesn’t quite have all the pieces put together yet. And Roger is still worried and fearful for David's safety!

Mrs. J is sight for sore eyes, especially when she complains about having to clean the cottage as well as the Great House!  [easter_smiley] And of course she is a veritable tigress in keeping Laura out of the house even when he's in town!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »
A couple of Mrs. Johnson typical aphorisms in today’s episode:
I don't mix in what's not my concern.
I don't gossip about people I work for, I never have and never will.

Doc Guthrie was sure taking a chance in not offering Mrs. J a ride into town. The mood she was in, she may have likely swatted him one upside the head.
Doc Guthrie takes an even bigger chance bearding the lion (Laura) in her den. Yikes!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Watching Project

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »
The Robservations caps for the ep have been posted.  [easter_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
Oh no!  Is Mrs. Johnson the alarmingly mysterious woman who would take David away with her?   She walks into the foyer right on cue, as Moltke's VO says this...   Later, Mrs. J actually looks sympathetically at Roger, of all people (when about to deal with Laura).   Next she'll be giving Burke's paychecks back...

It's interesting thinking about what position a man like Roger will take toward Laura, now that he's (suddenly) also a (tentative?) supernatural-believer.   He can't scoff any longer.   He doesn't seem afraid either, despite his having a history of a certain degree of panic, and weaselliness.   So far, we just see stiff aloofness.

Maybe it's his sense of superiority, which allows him to look down his nose at ridiculous voodoo-practicing wacko riff-raff, from his perspective, and the fact that it's effective "voodoo" doesn't change this, for him.   She's definitely not Collins material, and never was in the first place, vindicating him retroactively concerning all those bitter arguments in Augusta, no matter how much at fault he may really have been.

Also, the family's united against Laura.   Carolyn, he, and the lawyers can all speak with one voice.   As for danger from spells, I suppose Roger will get around to being afraid of that.  Right now he probably feels indestructible, thanks to his inrush of (pseudo) uber-respectability.

In her falling-out conversation with Burke in his hotel room (nice lighting), I predicted the start of her tears down to the second!  So did Burke...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:02:02 AM »
Mrs J. Provides a vital clue that Laura always keeps the fire going.  My first thought would be to lure her out and douse the flames or at least cut off her wood supply. Dr Guthrie once again throws all the cards on the table by announcing Laura is undead and she wants to destroy her son.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times