Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0182  (Read 958 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0182
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0182
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »
Louis Edmonds brought David Radcliff of 1867 to life for me, and I thought: If only this storyline hadn't come so early in the show (not to mention Diana Millay being pregnant), we could have had a flashback to 1867, or 1767, or both!  The correct thing to do would be to travel back to the Phoenix's beginnings in Ancient Egypt, where of course everybody would have thought the name Laura Murdoch was very strange.  But I would really like to see David Radcliff, who apparently didn't have David Collins's doubts but instead welcomed the flames.  What role did Mr. Radcliff play in this?

Suddenly Roger seems to care about David, after declaring time and time again that David is a little monster and that all he (Roger) wants is to send him away to school or with Laura or with anybody else who will take him.  All I can figure is that the time spent with Laura has made Roger take another look at David, and see him in a different light.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »
Josette finally realizes that it's up to her to give Roger that extra nudge, so she opens the ledger from the cemetery to just the right page. And what really horrifies Roger is what Dr. Guthrie DIDN'T tell him about David Radcliffe, perhaps out of kindness--that David R. actually chose to join his mother and be immolated along with her.

Finally, Roger's on the team!  [easter_smiley]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:07:40 PM »
Finally, Roger's on the team!

Finally, is right!

Pretty cool how the scenes go back and forth from Roger and Guthrie to Burke and Vicki, where one leaves off, the other picks up.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »
Thank you, Ron Sproat!  [easter_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »
Thank you, Ron Sproat!  [easter_smiley]

Thanks from me too.   Lydia-- I think that old David had all of new David's doubts, to start with,  how could he not have... and that we're now looking at a gradual mesmerization of new David so that he welcomes the flames too, in the end.   That's certainly what's going through Roger's mind, as he thinks back on David's decision to go with his mother, just before this.   David's getting less and less skeptical.   Roger sees the same pattern forming.   (David did express some doubts in the same conversation, but it's as if his own doubts don't matter to him, and won't affect what he does.)

I also think that we're seeing Roger's attitude toward his son transform suddenly and permanently, on camera, as we watch, because of his reading of the 1867 article.   He did express reluctance to have David leave for the first time, earlier in this episode, but his heart wasn't in it.   He had wanted David to go, but safely.   So he grumbled and cursed to himself, probably, but had to delay his moving away with Laura.

It was very different, though, when the 1867 article created in his mind the very real, very possible (even likely) image of his son being lured into being burned alive soon ... preceded immediately by Josette having opened the book.   Knowing it's all real drives it all home for him, and his humanity, buried under layers of accumulated cynical crud, shakes those layers off in an instant and remembers it can care.    This is just the kind of jolt that can do this.   Ron Sproat's been giving us some very unexpected DS character development.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Watching Project

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
The Robservations caps have been posted for this ep.  [easter_smiley]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 06:32:27 AM »
David telling his Dad that he was almost ready to go wirh his mother and he saw himself in the fire and then Roger not quite believing was nerve wracking. We must be coming to some kind of climax soon.  Burke seems to be coming around from Laura's thrall.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times