Author Topic: The Bartenders' Lament on Good Friday  (Read 729 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
The Bartenders' Lament on Good Friday
« on: March 29, 2002, 06:40:06 PM »
On behalf of all the bartenders, whoever opened a bottle of beer, lit a customer's cigarette, or prepared a Tom Collins (what else in this town!), I would like to offer the following pithy (if not, pathetic) statement:

You can call me Mooney, and you can call me Rooney, but don't you call me Looney!

Bob the Bartender, a proud graduate of the American Bartender School.

PS Did you catch the groovy "Prince Valiant " hair style on Mr, Mooney today?  He looked like a "beefed up" cross between Buster Brown and the little Dutch Boy!!!

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: The Bartenders' Lament on Good Friday
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2002, 08:20:22 PM »
Quoting Bob_the_Bartender: "On behalf of all the bartenders, whoever opened a bottle of beer, lit a customer's cigarette, or prepared a Tom Collins (what else in this town!), I would like to offer the following pithy (if not, pathetic) statement."

Bob,
Believe it or not , I know a fellow called Tom Collins. He is often the pun of jokes. Just say"Tom Collins" and he responds "Would you like one?" ;D
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 08:26:27 PM »
quote from Bob_the_Bartender:

>>You can call me Mooney, and you can call me Rooney, but don't you call me Looney!<<

And now we've got another DS consistency problem, Bob.  Just how is Mooney the Bartender related to Mr. Mooney, the cheapskate banker who, almost two-hundred years in the future, will manage Lucy Carmichael's accounts?  They never really do explain it.

Gerard

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2002, 09:23:59 PM »
 Just how is Mooney the Bartender related to Mr. Mooney, the cheapskate banker who, almost two-hundred years in the future, will manage Lucy Carmichael's accounts?  They never really do explain it.
Gerard

One of the bonus features of the new DVD's will include complete family histories, and will include the info that traces the offspring after Mooney married Ethel May Drysdale [who's brother's line of the family went on to spawn another banker that ended up living in Beverly Hills, but I'm getting off the subject].  Black sheep of the family, brother Sebastian Cabot Mooney became a 'Gentleman's Gentleman', and ended up having to change his name due to family pressure.
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2002, 09:48:13 PM »
On behalf of all the bartenders, whoever opened a bottle of beer, lit a customer's cigarette, or prepared a Tom Collins (what else in this town!), I would like to offer the following pithy (if not, pathetic) statement:

You can call me Mooney, and you can call me Rooney, but don't you call me Looney!

Bob the Bartender, a proud graduate of the American Bartender School.

PS Did you catch the groovy "Prince Valiant " hair style on Mr, Mooney today?  He looked like a "beefed up" cross between Buster Brown and the little Dutch Boy!!!

LOl Bob we had a doctor that looked like Mr Mooney
who allso had a Prince Valiant hairdo! ::)

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2002, 04:44:02 AM »
VAM,

How could Tom's parents name him "Tom Collins"?  That's almost as bad as a "Boy Named Sue," from the Johnny Cash song.  Actually, my mother knows a man (a teacher) who is named Frank Sinatra!  I kid you not.

I imagine that if you have the same name as ol' blue eyes, people always want to buy you a drink, get your autograph, and introduce their sister to you (then again, maybe they don't want to introduce you to their sister!).

Gerard,

I see a definite resemblance between innkeeper Mooney and Mr. Mooney, the parsimonious banker, a/k/a/ "Mooney the Shylock."   However, innkeeper Mooney does not display the cultured patois of Mooney the banker.

It wasn't till I heard innkeeper Mooney on Dark Shadows, that I learned that the traditional New York guttural accent made it up all the way to colonial New England.

Ringo,

You know, it's too bad that Sebastian Cabot never appeared on Dark Shadows.  You probably know that Sherlock Holmes' brother, Mycroft, occasionally appeared in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories.  Well, I would have liked to have seen Mr. Cabot appear as Richard Stokes, Professor Stokes' neer-do-well, younger brother.  It would have been great fun to see the learned Stokes "contend" with a slightly older version of Buzz Hackett.  Oh well...

Jennifer,

I hope your doctor who looked like Mr. Mooney, practiced medicine as well as Mr. Mooney prepared martinis, toddies and sea breezes (Bathia Mapes' favorite drink).

Bob the Bartender, who gave up cervesa for Lent.

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2002, 08:46:14 AM »
VAM,

How could Tom's parents name him "Tom Collins"?  the banker.

Ringo,
You know, it's too bad that Sebastian Cabot never appeared on Dark Shadows.  

Bob the Bartender, who gave up cervesa for Lent.

Is it just Urban Legend that the man who invented the Lear jet [and named it for himself] named his daughter: Crystal Shanda; and his son: Gaye Cava -~?

and SC would have looked right at home on DS, fersure!

Ringo [huge Sherlock fan, stood at 221b, and got to see Jeremy Britt and Edward Hardwicke in a wonderful 2-man version of 'the secret of SH' at Wyndhams in London][the game is afoot!]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!