Author Topic: "Those Cousinly Kissin' Collinses"  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
"Those Cousinly Kissin' Collinses"
« on: April 30, 2002, 06:13:48 PM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

Oedipus don't have nothin' on those Collinses.  The look on Tony Peterson's face when he saw "cousin" Barnabas (a/k/a the "old man") giving the young and lovely Carolyn a hickey, was, in a word,  priceless.  "I always knew that the idle rich were decadent," Tony proclaimed to scorn the nubile Collins heiress.  

You know, that scene with "old man" Barnabas and the voluptuous Carolyn somehow gives new meaning to the Christmas song, "I Saw Mommie Kissing Santa Claus."  Ya gotta love it.  Once again, kudos to Sam Hall for another great episode!

On another note, I thought that Roger's eloquent recitation in front of Angelique's portrait today was superb.   Kudos to writer Gordon Russell.  

Of course, I have to acknowledge the first apearance of the greatest parapsychologist this side of Dr. Van Helsing, the redoubtable Prof. T. Elliot Stokes.  By the way, did you catch the absolutely anguished look on Barnabas' face when the professor mentioned his ancestor Ben Stokes' diary?  I thought Mr. B. was about to lose all bladder control at that moment!
Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go!!!

Finally, another fashion note.  Did you notice that there were three buttons on Roger's sportcoat and Prof. Stokes' suit jacket?  That three-button look on men's sports and suit jackets re-emerged during last year.  It just shows you: what's old is new and what's new is old.  Kind of like Dark Shadows.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, aspiring men's fashion consultant and clinical assistant to Dr. Drew Pinsky.  

Online ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Those Cousinly Kissin' Collinses"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 10:08:05 PM »

Of course, I have to acknowledge the first apearance of the greatest parapsychologist this side of Dr. Van Helsing, the redoubtable Prof. T. Elliot Stokes.  

Hallelujah!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I actually stood and applauded when he knocked on the door of Collinwood.  The professor is my favorite character, and I've already made a mental list of favorite Stokes episodes that I'm looking forward to seeing again.

Also, Bob, the scenes of Tony, Barnabas, and Carolyn and later Tony and Carolyn are among my favorite unintentionally humorous events on the show.  I still remember Tony's remarks about the Collins family's decadence from the first time I saw these episodes. Back then, I had to look the word up in the dictionary, but I've found plenty of uses for it since.

ProfStokes

Offline MikeS

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2002, 11:40:00 PM »

Hallelujah!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I actually stood and applauded when he knocked on the door of Collinwood.  The professor is my favorite character, and I've already made a mental list of favorite Stokes episodes that I'm looking forward to seeing again.

Also, Bob, the scenes of Tony, Barnabas, and Carolyn and later Tony and Carolyn are among my favorite unintentionally humorous events on the show.  I still remember Tony's remarks about the Collins family's decadence from the first time I saw these episodes. Back then, I had to look the word up in the dictionary, but I've found plenty of uses for it since.

ProfStokes

I share your enthusiasm, ProfStokes!  Thayer David's characterization of the good professor makes him by far my favorite of all his DS characters.  Later in the series, it almost seems as though Stokes had deduced Barnabas' secret, but was keeping silent for reasons of his own.  Anyone feel the same?

As for Carolyn and Tony, I was never too enthusiastic about their pairing during the original run of the series, but watching their scenes together now, I see a real chemistry between the two.  Which makes me wonder
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
why Tony just faded away without explaination later during the 1968 storyline, especially since Jerry Lacy remained with the series.  IMHO, there was a lot more that could have been done with the character.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 05:18:04 AM »
Loved your comments Bob.  Thanks for the laugh.  Great line about "The Old Man'.  I think this is the only reference to the age difference bettween Mr. B. and his lady loves.

Birdie--I will never tell if I dated older men
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2002, 07:28:20 AM »

Hallelujah!  ;D  ;D  ;D

ProfStokes

Nicely said, Prof. Stokes! It was so nice to see the Professor on the show! Seeing him as the Professor, especially right after Ben's departure, makes you realize what a fine, talented & diverse actor he really was! :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2002, 04:26:21 PM »
Later in the series, it almost seems as though Stokes had deduced Barnabas' secret, but was keeping silent for reasons of his own.  Anyone feel the same?

Yes, Mike, we always seemed to be on the verge of disclosure (either of the truth by Barnabas or Julia, or of the deduction by the good professor), but perhaps it's just as well that we are kept wondering, instead of having it all spelled out for us.  

If DS hadn't gone off the air when it did, they could have developed a 1971-72 storyline in which the bonds between Barn, Julia, and Eliot strengthen to the point where the truth is revealed.  I'll bet there's some great fanfic about this already out there.

Meanwhile, I'm convinced that someone as brilliant and discrete as Prof. Stokes has to be asking Julia all the right questions for a reason -- and astutely (albeit silently) deducing the reason why her answers always seem to fall short of convincing.

That's one trait of Eliot's that I've long admired: he's extremely observant, noticing details and nuances, yet he never pushes too hard.  Dr. Woodard's aggressive attempts to strongarm Julia backfired.  But Prof. Stokes' calm, intellectual, benign approach -- sweetened further by his sherry/hot toddy charm -- built a growing level of trust among the other "good" characters, as well as us viewers.  

Ben

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2002, 01:46:10 AM »
I always loved the good Professor Stokes, and applauded Thayer David's excellent portrayal of him.  Watching him as Ben Stokes, then seeing him only a day later as T. Eliot Stokes really gives us a chance to admire his acting range.  Ben was rough, kind, unschooled, yet watchful; here we see his ancestor, a respected college professor, erudite, cool, also watchful.  

While I'm not sure Stokes deduced that Barnabas was once a vampire, I do believe he ascertained that he was some sort of supernatural creature.  I would have enjoyed seeing Stokes, Julia and Barnabas teaming up for further adventures, since I always suspected Collinsport was the original Hellmouth and needed a crackerjack trio like this to prevent the world from being taken over!

As for Tony's reference to Barnabas as an "old man," I had a serious crush on that "old man," and damn it, I resented it then--and now!  

Love, Robin

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2002, 05:38:03 AM »
Dear RobinV,

Concerning the twenty-something Tony Peterson's somewhat callous remark about Barnabas being an "old" man, I think that you have consider the generational gap between Carolyn and Tony versus Mr. B.

I remember when I thought that someone over the age of forty had one foot in the grave.  Funny thing, though, I sure as heck don't feel that way now.  I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Sincerely,

bob the Bartender, aspiring AARP member.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2002, 03:42:09 PM »

Finally, another fashion note.  Did you notice that there were three buttons on Roger's sportcoat and Prof. Stokes' suit jacket?  That three-button look on men's sports and suit jackets re-emerged during last year.  It just shows you: what's old is new and what's new is old.  Kind of like Dark Shadows.

Excellent philosophical fashion insight Bob.  I also noticed that Julia's cardigan sweater with the broad horizontal stripes at the bottom - worn when we first re-enter 1968 - looks an awful lot like the things I'm seeing at the mall these days.  Could it be that we have once again become MOD?  8)

And though I think he did a stellar job in every part he played on DS and elsewhere I have to add my 2 cents worth - Thayer David IS Eliot Stokes!  [thumb]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2002, 04:41:19 PM »

Of course, I have to acknowledge the first apearance of the greatest parapsychologist this side of Dr. Van Helsing, the redoubtable Prof. T. Elliot Stokes.  By the way, did you catch the absolutely anguished look on Barnabas' face when the professor mentioned his ancestor Ben Stokes' diary?  I thought Mr. B. was about to lose all bladder control at that moment!

LOL!!!

I always loved this guy!

As I don't recall any of these episodes, seeing the esteemed Prof. Stokes for the first time was a treat indeed!  He was always the voice of reason on the show and a classy and interesting character in his own right. Welcome, dear Professor Stokes, historian and expert on the the occult!  [hello]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2002, 04:53:11 PM »
Loved your comments Bob.  Thanks for the laugh.  Great line about "The Old Man'.  I think this is the only reference to the age difference bettween Mr. B. and his lady loves.

Birdie--I will never tell if I dated older men

LOL!  I loved the line--it drove me nuts before when Liz referred to Barnabas "as the young man in the portrait."  It's not that I don't find older men attractive (although these days the age gap is lessening, lol), but for pete's sake JF was obviously middle-aged.  Tony's remark was damned refreshing!

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga