Author Topic: Does anyone remember the lyrics to Josette's theme ???  (Read 967 times)

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
Does anyone remember the lyrics to Josette's theme ???
« on: January 08, 2006, 03:20:01 PM »
 The magazine Spec 16 had a contest back in the sixties to put words to three pieces of music from the show.  Josette's theme was one of them but I don't remember the words. Obviously I didn't win the contest although I did try. The winner if I remember right got a part as an extra on the show among other prizes.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone remember the lyrics to Josette's theme ???
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 08:31:15 PM »
Here it is for you:

Strange that Ms. Donaldson seemed to think Jeremiah was Barnabas' cousin.  :-   But then, a couple months before this point Frid, as Barn, had indeed referred to him as "Cousin-Uncle Jeremiah" on the show during 1897's Ep #741.  :D

(And an interesting bit of trivia is that these lyrics were published on the back of an article about the studio sessions for the The Original Music From Dark Shadows soundtrack LP. And, of course, that article featured some "super-groovy" exclusive photos of Frid and Selby (and Robert Cobert and Charles Grean) taken by 16 SPEC's Gloria Stavers.  [b003])

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 10:18:01 PM »
Gee...I wonder what the REST of the entries were like?  ::)

And did the writer actually get to play a bit part in the show?  ???
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:44:44 PM »
Nice find MB...  did they ever  release a version of  "Josettes Music Box"  with lyrics spoken by  KLS, Lara Parker & J. Frid  back then ??..

Gloria Stravers took alot of great pictures for 16 Magazine, I really liked the ones she took of  Jim Morrison.

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 01:02:28 AM »
 Thank you MB, what a blast from the past. That's the first time that I've seen those lyrics in over thirty years. I cant believe that you were able to hold on to that article all these years. I lost my DS scrapbook years ago. For you to locate that article so quickly suggest that you must have very large collection of memorabilia. Do you have the other lyrics that were written ?  I'd love to see them if you do.  Thanks again' Elmont...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 09:26:01 PM »
Gee...I wonder what the REST of the entries were like?  ::)

And did the writer actually get to play a bit part in the show?  ???

Well, all I can say is that there's no mention of any contest or special prizes being awarded for those lyrics. They were merely published (along with a poem dedicated to The Mod Squad's Michael Cole) as part of 16 SPEC's Your Page, which was a regular feature of the magazine. The top right corner of the page reads:

"This is your very own page! It is your opportunity to 'put into print' your thoughts, feelings and love for your favorite star. Not only will you be sharing your ideas with all the world, but your 'special someone' will see it too -- right here in 16 SPEC!
If you would like to express your deepest feelings for your favorite star, send your letters, poems, stories, etc. to 'Your Page', 16 SPEC Business Office, 745 Fifth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10022. Be sure to include your name, address and phone number with all correspondence. If your contribution is published, you will recieve $10.
Now take a peek at what two 16 SPEC-ers wrote in honor of their favorites."

All that's not to say that 16 and 16 SPEC didn't hold contests with special prizes - they often did (DS prizes were generally autographed photos or scripts, Marilyn Ross novels, the soundtrack LP, the Quentin's Theme single, etc.) but I can't seem to locate a contest to write lyrics for the music box theme.  :(