Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0885  (Read 1814 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0885
« on: November 14, 2009, 12:11:16 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0885
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »
It was lovely to see Barnabas take Kitty's hand and disappear into the portrait with Kitty.  That's my idea of romance.

It seems unbelievable that Ben Stokes and Count Petofi are played by the same person.  Ben's face was full of concern and caring today, whereas just a few days ago Petofi was proclaiming, completely credibly, that the only person who mattered was Petofi.

Angelique's hair was strange.  Did she ever wear it that way in the 1795 that we originally saw?  And I've got to wonder if she felt even the least bit of disquiet at the fact that Barnabas knew of her plans.  Wouldn't that suggest to her that something strange (I mean, strange even for 1795) was going on?  Maybe she was just too self-absorbed to think of that.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I love scenes with Kathryn Leigh Scott and Grayson Hall together.  Sweet and salty make a wonderful combination.  Despite the fact that the bedroom scene was a retread of one that was done nearly two years ago, I still loved it, and didn't want it to end.  I thought of Natalie mourning at Josette's grave, and I wanted her not to have to feel that pain.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:29:55 AM »
I hate it but my VHS (I am still collecting the DVDS) is missing I wont be able to join in until we hit the [spoiler]Leviathan episodes![/spoiler]  [hall2_cry]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:23:15 AM »
Why do they keep insisting that this is 1796 instead of 1795?  For me, it feels as if they've milked the Barnabas/Josette storyline for all it's worth and now it's time to move on.  This feels like a marking-time episode.

It'll be nice to have you back Taeylor.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
In the midst of eye pressure hell, where posting is the worst thing I can do, here I am jumping on the Watching Project, just in time for my favorite storyline to end.   I'm placing a lot of faith in four feeble aspirins.   I'm only partway through, so on the start of it:

Transition to 1796/7:  This is one of those feelings that we throw into the vague grab-bag classification of being "surreal", because there aren't enough different adjectives in the language for these odd feelings.  There's a sense that BC ends up back then simply because that time is so meaningful or significant to him.   I miss feeling as if my own existence or history were that important.

Ben: "... vampire!" (pause) "I had to say the word."   I then pictured Groucho appearing from offscreen with a bat hanging over his head with a "vampire" sign on it....

BC to Ben: "You've served me so well... you must do it again."   I think many people must think this way.   You usually help me, why not just maintain the status quo... people say that sort of thing, almost, sometimes.  I'm thinking of no-good former boyfriend types, the guys who wear tank tops all the time... (That's the image that pops into my head.)  People get used to others helping them, and start taking it for granted.  No wonder people are reluctant to do people favors...

Icy music at end of short scene where Ben tries to talk to Josette in her room... always makes me think of waves crashing.   Very powerful bit of music, don't know why.  It jolts me back into feeling that whatever's going on is .... important, but I want a better word.   Very strange mood to it.

How did Barnabas "summon" Ang?   How come she's walking, not floating?   I know this version has no connection to post-1968 Cassandra yet.   It's too early.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
They should have had Barnabas come upon the Leviathan's at the end of 1897, instead of going back to 1796.

Because this throws so much continuity out of whack, I think of this as a fantasy conjured by the Leviathan's to trap Barnabas rather then an actual trip to the past. 

By the way, in the 1897 episodes where the artist of the portrait is shown, it is dated 1797!  In later episodes, 1797 becomes the "new 1795 reference".

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 12:36:12 AM »
I think that Josette caused the return to 1796 as she was apparently behind the transformation of Kitty and  wanted to revisit her death to change the past and have a happy future with Barnabas.   She awakens in her bedroom at Collinwood and finds she has had a dream where she had lived another life and  Barnabas awakens in the graveyard and by the looks of his make-up is a vampire with a mission to change Josette's destiny.  Josette's destiny seems to be playing out as planned as she goes to Widow's Hill. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:37:15 AM »
The Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) topics for this ep have been posted. They're backdated to the 17th and are currently on Page 1 of the CTP/FITBs-Y4 board beginning with this topic:
Episode #0885
- but they'll move on once I post more of the delayed topics...

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »
I agree that the writers should have had the Leviathans capture Barnabas at the end of 1897, and just have Kitty vanish into the portrait.

I really didn't dig this second rehash to 1795 (or 1797 whichever). The rehash of the scene between Natalie and Josette from the first journey to 1795 didn't have the same emotional feel for me, I'm afraid. Ditto Angelique luring Josette to Widows' Hill.

I suggested this before....did Barnabas' second trip to 1797 unintentionally [spoiler] screw up Vicki's happily-ever-after ending? [/spoiler] Or was it just the Leviathans coming onto the scene that did it?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »
I hadn't thought of your spoiler in that way ILUVB!  The trip to the past could have very well set in motion [spoiler]the demise of poor dear Victoria! I just don't know why Jeb pushed her off widows hill, why and how he was in his manly form???![/spoiler]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »
I think I'm the only poster still with the WP who was with it at this point in DS before.  I'm posting here anyway, because there was some wondering here then, about whether this 1796 redo cancels out the 1968 redo of 1796.  Maybe, but right now I think that each redo is history until another redo comes along to replace it, and Barnabas left this particular redo at a point long before his 1968 redo was over.  So I think 1968 BC in 1796 BC's body resumed, shook his head, wondered what the hell happened, and resumed his 1968 plans, sending Victoria Winters and Peterjeffpeter on their way.

However, if ANY sense is to be made at all of Jeb's Peter vistation, then this is where that explanation must come from.  Barnabas's most recent meddling must have triggered it, considering that the Leviathans were actually there at Collinwood in 1796.

It's cool finding that I commented on entirely different things five years ago, in that viewing, than I just did in the 2015 one.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 06:04:27 AM »
Cool explanation buddy! I have missed you and hopefully I can get back to this. I am so freaking busy with the zine.  It's going to be amazing!  50Th Anniversary!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »
Thanks, T!  We're both returning here at the same time.  I missed you here and on FB, but that's an excellent project to be busying yourself with!  You've replanted in my head the thought of doing a drawing, somehow, though don't count on it, what with the eyes...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 08:33:56 AM »
I won't count on it. However, I need art!  And the deadline isn't until February of next year! :) ALMOST 9 months! :)  I will PM you tomorrow!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »
Remember, I can receive PMs here, but can't send any.