Author Topic: Is there a problem?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Is there a problem?
« on: June 11, 2002, 06:25:30 PM »
I just lost a post for Current Topics after I spell checked and then attempted to preview.  I had forgotten to put in a title, so I clicked on 'back' to put the title in place, but the screen came up with everything in the message space deleted.

I clicked 'back' but it took me back to the home page.

My short-term memory sucks so when I loose something like this, it's really lost.

Any ideas what went wrong and how to avoid it in the future (besides the obvious remembering to put a title in place!)?

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 07:16:17 PM »
I just lost a post for Current Topics after I spell checked and then attempted to preview.  I had forgotten to put in a title, so I clicked on 'back' to put the title in place, but the screen came up with everything in the message space deleted.

I just tried to simulate what you've explained, and I came up with three different results. If there were no misspelled words, not having entered a subject didn't seem to affect the post after trying to preview it and being told I'd forgotten to enter the subject. But if there were misspelled words, sure enough, after trying to preview a post without a subject, the text of the post completely disappeared. I have no idea why, though. :( But what's even stranger is that when I did it a second time to confirm that's what will happen every time under those circumstances, I didn't lose the text. :-/

Now, I've tried to preview posts where I've forgotten to enter a subject, and I've never lost the text - but until today I've never spell checked them first. (But then, my experimenting didn't offer solid proof that something having to do with spell checking first had caused the problem.)

I suppose the only thing I can suggest is that for the time being always check to make sure you've entered a subject before you spell check just to be on the safe side. And when I get a chance, I'll see if it's not to complicated to rewrite the code to automatically display "(no subject)" in the subject field when you're creating a new topic just like the IM script does when you're writing someone a new message. At least then, if someone forgets to enter their own subject and it gets posted that way, they can always modify the post to change the subject. :)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 05:05:07 PM »
Y'know, something like this happened to me when I was trying to post an idle thought thingy.  The spell checking feature caused me to lose it twice, so I finally threw up my hands in despair and just posted it without using the spell checking.  I am quite positive that I had entered a subject line too.  

?!?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2002, 10:35:40 PM »
Y'know, something like this happened to me when I was trying to post an idle thought thingy.  The spell checking feature caused me to lose it twice, so I finally threw up my hands in despair and just posted it without using the spell checking.  I am quite positive that I had entered a subject line too.  

?!?

Well, I finally heard back from Spellchecker.com Support, but not surprisingly they say they have no idea why the text of random posts might disappear after they've been spell checked. :-/

One thing I've noticed, though - and it doesn't necessarily just happen after a spell check - is that the posting window will occasionally appear to be blank when in fact it isn't. If you hit the enter key 1 or 2 times, or you click preview/refresh preview, what you've previously typed comes right back. So, the next time it looks like you might have lost a post, try that out before you panic. [winkg] And sometimes you might also be able to navigate your browser back to a previous version of what you've typed.

I'm afraid that's about all I can suggest because, as I said at the outset of having installed the spell checker, the program is handled off site by Spellchecker.com, so I can't even try to figure out what might be causing it to act weird every once and awhile. :)