Author Topic: Sad Scenes  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Sad Scenes
« on: March 12, 2005, 11:18:34 PM »
One of the saddest scenes for me was when they took Joe Haskell away to Wyndcliff. Can you think of any other sad scenes?
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Sad Scenes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 11:26:46 PM »
when elizabeth learned that burke's plane had crashed and needed to break the news to vicki.the scene plays with liz,vicki and mrs.johnson(three widows?)and i found it to be quite moving.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 01:08:16 AM »
For me the saddest scene is where Sarah dies in Barnabas' arms. That was a very emotional scene.

FireRose

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 01:39:37 AM »
At the end of PT 1970, Barn is upset because he has lost his precious Roxanne, and Julia tells him how one learns to live without love if one has to. The look in her eyes when she says this. . .  [bawling2]

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 06:48:03 AM »
For me one very sad scene was when Barnabas goes once again to the past, after finding his beloved again he hurries though the woods were Barnabas becomes lost and is then taken by a certain underworld gang and used in an attempt to bring them back to power... Barnabas was never able to meet with his beloved.     Although Barnabas did save her from  the cliffs he did not save her life.... his beloved none the less dies by her own hand.
                                                          :'( now that is sad :'(
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 08:40:06 AM »
For me the saddest scene is where Sarah dies in Barnabas' arms. That was a very emotional scene.

I was thinking of mentioning that one.
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 07:57:49 PM »
In PT1970, a heavily drinking Carolyn Loomis mourns the loss of her husband, William Loomis, murdered by Angelique, as Barnabas tries to console her.  Despite their turbulent marriage, Carolyn and Will obviously had an underlying need for each other, since no one else apparently wanted them.  And now she was alone.

Gerard

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 02:59:04 AM »
I can never get over the look on Barnabas' face when he learns that Josette had married Jeremiah, who was like a brother to him.  I actually FF thru that scene until he slaps Jeremiah with the glove, demanding a duel.  Strange, I can stand the upcoming violence, but not a scene of such hearbreak.  But then, this always happens to me when watching a film or TV show and I know that such a scene is about to happen. :'(

for example, I'm a huge fan of the original version of "The Forsyte Saga" , I have it on DVD, [spoiler]but I just get heartsick at Jo Foryste's death scene, as he was my favorite character, and he dies literally of a broken heart because Soames' past sins against Irene threaten the future of Jo and Irene's son Jon, who has fallen for Soames' daughter Fleur.....[/spoiler]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 01:28:57 PM »
Another one of mine:  during the Leviathan story, when Angelique runs to the Old House to tell Barnabas that she found out that her husband, Sky, was a cult member who tried to off her, she falls weeping into Barnabas' arms as he attempts to console her.

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 02:08:59 PM »
There's a scene when Vicki is at the Old House, waiting out a rain storm, I think, and she and Willie are talking about the upcoming costume party.  Vicki compliments Willie on his restoration work..  She comments that "I never see you smile anymore" and he replies that he doesn't have much to smile about.  She says he "deserves to have some fun" and he responds that people don't always get what they deserve and some get things they don't deserve at all.....referring to what he knows about Barnabas' plans for Vicki.

Willie frequently resorts to hysterics when trying to protect Maggie.  But this calm, quiet scene involving a despairing Willie and an unsuspecting Vicki is so much sadder.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 02:44:59 AM »
Saddest for me was when Barnabas "died" with Josette holding his hand promising to wait for him to return to her. I've viewed that scene over and over and it gets sadder everytime I see it. The full implications of Barnabas' death and what it meant for Josette and his entire family are tragic. (and boy was I glad Angelique wasn't there butting in. It was nice to see Josette and Barnabas have a decent scene together!)

I was also touched by David Ford's performance as Sam Evans watching his daughter Maggie fall apart after being bitten by a vampire. I really sensed his inner vunerability and why he could be an alchoholic.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 03:07:11 AM »
There's a scene when Vicki is at the Old House, waiting out a rain storm, I think, and she and Willie are talking about the upcoming costume party.  Vicki compliments Willie on his restoration work..  She comments that "I never see you smile anymore" and he replies that he doesn't have much to smile about.  She says he "deserves to have some fun" and he responds that people don't always get what they deserve and some get things they don't deserve at all.....referring to what he knows about Barnabas' plans for Vicki.

Willie frequently resorts to hysterics when trying to protect Maggie.  But this calm, quiet scene involving a despairing Willie and an unsuspecting Vicki is so much sadder.

i agree rainey that this scene was quite touching.especially since at the time vicki had considerable reason to dislike willie.i also think that vicki was at her absolute best during this part of the show.these episodes were remarkable and you can tell that alexandra was still being challenged by her work at this point.she's breaking away from what had been a rather one-note,goody-two-shoes character before this and bringing some complexity to victoria.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 04:15:56 AM »
So many good ones have been mentioned already... here's some of mine:

- The scene at Collinwood when Barnabas tells Victoria and Carolyn of Josette's fall from Widow's Hill.
- Barnabas speaking to Josette's portrait after the costume party "I had to send you away....leave and  never come back. All of you." (the ghosts of his family)
- Barnabas and Victoria's conversation about Josette and the man that chased her in the episode when she was spending the night there due to the storm. "I can't defend everything he did, nor could he."
- Naomi and Joshua's conversation when he learns of Sarah's death.
- Naomi at the mausoleum when she says (about Barnabas and Sarah), "their whole lives were stone."

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 01:58:52 PM »
The saddest scene for me was when Barnasbas had finally "met" Sarah's ghost.  He had begs her to stay with him.  She told him no, but he had to be "good" or she wouldn't come to him anymore (I'm not going to drag out my DVD so I can get the right words that were spoken...it's to earlier in the morning).  And then she dissapeared.  Barnabas' face looked so sad. [sad11] [bawl]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 08:53:01 PM »
At the end of PT 1970, Barn is upset because he has lost his precious Roxanne, and Julia tells him how one learns to live without love if one has to. The look in her eyes when she says this. . .  [bawling2]

I was listening to Annie Lennox's Bare CD yesterday, and one of the songs definitely made me think of your post because the lyrics seem to reflect feelings that Julia surely felt at least at some point in her relationship with Barn:

Loneliness

Loneliness...
Is a place that I know well
It's the distance between us
And the space inside ourselves
Emptiness....
Is the chattering in your head
It's the call of the living
And the race from life to death
Woa and I know
Yea and I know
What you feel...

Woa and I've got a longin'
That's hard to find
Won't give me no peace of mind
Something that I've lived with all along
Days and weeks and months and years
Fillin' in the time my dear
And tryin' to find the place where I belong

Hopelessness
Is the darkness in your heart
It's the sound of one hand clapping...
While it's pulling you apart
Woa and I know
Yea and I know
What you feel
I know what you feel

And
I've got a longin'
That's hard to find
Won't give me no peace of mind
Something that I've lived with all along
Days and weeks and months and years
Fillin' in the time my dear
And tryin' to find the place where I belong
Ooo, and
I got a hunger that's
Hard to fill
Drivin' me on overkill
Tellin' me that everything's gone wrong
Got me a need
That I can't break
More than I can hardly take
Somehow I still keep on goin' strong

When I call your name
I'm gonna scream out loud
I'll say...
"Here I am standing in the crowd"
You'll say "Come to me
With your open mind
You never know
What you still might find"
But you keep me here
Like a cancelled flight
An empty train
Running through the night
An orphan child
A broken shoe
and I'm still down here
Lookin' out for you
Are you there for me?
(Baby are you there for me? I'm standing here for you)
'Cause I'm here for you
(Baby are you there for me? I'm standing here for you)
Are you there for me?
I'm here for you
There for me?
I'm here for you
There for me?
I'm here for you
I'm here for you
I'm here for you

Anyone interested can listen to the song here. Just click on the third selection down.