Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0187  (Read 870 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0187
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0187
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »
Another opening cliffhanger was milked out of Guthrie's death.  Will they go for three, the way they did with Bill Malloy?

David hasn't been told what happened at the séance, and I'm sure he hasn't told yet that Dr. Guthrie is dead.  The whole plan to keep him away from his mother revolves around deception.  Yes, I know he's just a little boy.  But Burke knows that it bothered David that he had been scared of his mother.  Would it be impossible to build on that?  i suppose there's no time, at this point  But they're cramming him into the role of Little Lord Fauntleroy, and he's just not made for it.

Or anyway, he used not to be.  David Henesy was awfully good at being a scary little boy, and it seems a pity to waste him on being a standard-issue cute little boy.

Golly I'm cranky these days.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
I don't know if I'll ever think of David as a standard-issue boy. When David decides to go away with his mother, Vicki is alarmed, and David complains, Everyone is always watching me! And whenever I come into a room, all the adults stop talking!

For once Roger and Burke agree that they must cooperate to get David away from his mother. David is ecstatic when Burke proposes a trip, via seaplane, to a lakeside cottage--with muskies (a kind of large, freshwater pike--I had to look them up) in the lake. Burke tousles David's hair to wish him goodnight. Roger doesn't touch his son--doesn't know how, I suppose--but very kindly wishes him a good night.

But while David is having pleasant dreams upstairs, Vicki makes a horrible discovery!

Watching Project

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »
The Robservations caps for this ep (including caps for scenes that weren't summarized) have been posted.  [easter_smiley]

Offline MysticScribe

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »
A slower, quieter episode, but not without its merits. I really liked Mitch Ryan and Louis Edmonds in this one.

Roger, subdued and a bit thoughtful at the news of Guthrie's death. He may not have liked the man, but he certainly didn't want to see him dead. With a minimum of fuss, Burke and Roger were able to call a temporary truce for the benefit of a child they both cared about. When it was agreed that David needed to be taken away for a time and Laura needed to go permanently, I liked how Roger firmly stated both were his responsibility, but was unable to do both simultaneously. With no fuss, he accepted Burke's help.

I liked the little quip about lodging a complaint with Mrs. J about the lack of whip cream. It was so Roger (and very Marmorstein).

When proposing the fishing trip to David, both men had a relaxed attitude, out of necessity. We've always seen such animosity between the two, it was like getting a glimpse of their former friendship. Despite David's initial unwillingness, Roger and Burke remained calm, though you could see Burke's frustration and his quick thinking to make the trip more enticing.

I always liked Swift's directing of quiet relationship scenes, whether it involved family or romantic pairings.
"I think I'll just go into Collinsport and get drunk." ~ Tim Shaw

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 02:24:38 AM »
Guthrie is dead and the living at Collinwood can only guess at what to do next because he wasn't  smart enough to confide what he knew about the undead. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 02:53:12 AM »
Guthrie also wasn't smart enough to keep his tape recorder in his car.  Is it okay to speak ill of the fictionally dead?   When did he move to a hotel?

The only notes I made on this one were:  Muskies!!!  Oh boy!!!

Golly I'm cranky these days.

Join the club, Lydia.  It doesn't show much.

Does any kid actually like hair-tousling?   It always made me feel as if I was being petted like a dog.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor