Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0458  (Read 620 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0458
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
Robservations #458

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0458

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:53:21 PM »
This ep. is absolutely heart wrenching, one of the best in the whole series. Great work by everyone, but JB, LE, and JF are absolutely riveting.

Despite all of Joshua's efforts to prevent it, Naomi knows at least some of the truth about Barnabas. She finally realizes that Forbes threatened to tell her about Barnabas if Joshua didn't go along with his plans. Astonished, Naomi says, You were ready to sacrifice your pride and honor--every principle you valued!--simply to protect me. It’s been so long since I thought you cared, she murmurs as she leans against his chest. I do care, he answers, holding her gently. He begs her, Please promise me that you'll wait till the morning before you see Barnabas again. I promise--for you, she answers, but she gazes over his shoulder as if at something far away, her decision already made.

Naomi suddenly remembers Vicki and goes to the study to tell her goodbye. But Nathan is watching and captures Vicki, marching her off to town despite her pleas. So Vicki never finds out that Barnabas is not dead after all.

Naomi drinks what she has prepared and goes upstairs. Naomi opens the door to the Tower Room and slowly walks in. Barnabas slams the door (he was hiding behind it) but is stunned to see who his visitor is. Mother! he exclaims in shock, horror--and deepest shame. You shouldn't have come here! Thunder rumbles in the background as Naomi says, I had to see you one more time. Barnabas, look at me! No! Barnabas replies instantly, unable to meet his mother’s eyes. You saw me once tonight, he says bitterly. You saw what I am. Wasn’t that enough? Whatever else you are, you’re still my son, Naomi replies, reaching out her arms to embrace him. And to find you alive-- Mother, please! Barnabas interrupts her as the “vampire” theme swells. He turns away from her, facing the wall. Didn’t you see what was happening outside? he asks. Didn’t you see what I was doing? I saw, but I didn’t understand, Naomi replies urgently, never taking her eyes from him, knowing she has only a little time left. I-- I still don’t. But whatever you did, Barnabas, I know it wasn’t by choice. I’ll never believe that. And I want you to tell me why this has happened. Please, Barnabas implores her, don’t make me look at you and tell you. I can’t bear the thought of hurting you anymore. His anguish only deepens when she continues passionately, Barnabas, please understand. I brought you into the world. I watched you grow to manhood. I suffered agony when you died, watching you die. And by some strange miracle, you’re still alive! You’re not as you were, but whatever has changed you, it made you suffer and feel a deep shame, and I can’t leave you till I know what it is. Finally he turns toward her.

Downstairs, Joshua reads the note Naomi left for him. Horrified, he races upstairs. Even as her strength fails, Naomi declares that she will always love her son. Joshua arrives just in time to see Barnabas catch her as she faints. Joshua drops to his knees to hold her, but he is already too late.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:28:24 PM »
Naomi has a letter with Joshua's name on it and then has a packet she eventually pours into a drink and downs it then goes to the tower to see Barnabas.  It seems strange from the conversation they have that she should poison herself when she finds Barnabas alive in a way and knows that he is under a curse that is not his fault and after the moments she had with her husband. She collapses in Barnabas' arms.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:36:36 AM »
It’s a shame that it takes the ultimate tragedy to prove to Naomi that Joshua still cares deeply for her.

And there’s that Lost In Space music again; it is aptly named Naomi’s Suicide on the Dark Shadows music CD volume 4 (the first minute of said selection). On the Music Library set, it is 85: Little Faster Spooky Tension – Confusion, &, 85A: Same But Lower Pitched - Good Ghostly Spook.

I guess in the end, other than Barnabas, Joshua suffers the most from Angelique’s curse.

Afterthoughts: I loved that Naomi refused the drink that Joshua poured for her and the symbolism behind it. Their conversation was wonderfully written. Alexandra is wearing a wig.