Author Topic: Bitchy Queen Village Voice Writer on Jonathan Frid  (Read 3012 times)

David

Bitchy Queen Village Voice Writer on Jonathan Frid
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
Michael Musto, an openly gay writer for the Village Voice with a long history of denigrating people under the guise of being "witty"...
In an April 19 2012 column that I'm too disgusted to link, he discusses the actor's sexuality.
No facts, just Musto's usual brand of snarky innuendo.

Then in a May 1st column, he speculates as to who Frid dated--that story has a pic of Frid & Louis Edmonds together--implying they were a couple. They were not.

As a gay man myself, I'm repulsed by Musto's behavior--he's done things like this to many others and has even written sweeping, negative generalities about entire communities. People are still entitled to their privacy if they're not hurting anyone. Should we write to Village Voice and demand Musto's resignation?

(edited by admin)

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Bitchy Queen Village Voice Writer on Jonathan Frid
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
That was quite a photograph of the two of them at the beach...having read the article, I really don't care either way, about Johnathan's sexuality or the quality of the article/author itself.  No one is going to be forced to resign over it, people will gossip (though not on this message board) and thankfully the dead can't be offended...the end. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »
Ok everyone, we all know we have lost Jonathan. His performances on the original show, and House of Ds, and of course his one man shows are available to us. To be quite honest with all of you, I don't really give a damm about what Jonathan's sexuality was like. Its not my concern. And  frankly, I don't give a damm. Let him rest in piece. He was a good guy, he tried his best, and in my opinion was good to his fans. Case closed.

David

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 01:01:58 AM »
what pissed me off about Musto's story is that he all but acknowledges that he knew JF didn't want to discuss his private life--but then Musto does it anyway.
Musto's spite makes me want to smack him.
Seriously.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 02:14:19 AM »
So we should probably let this go then.  Jerks will be jerks
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 03:37:11 AM »
i haven't seen the article in question so i probably shouldn't comment however...

the plain fact is that heterosexual people, unless they are committing adultery or carrying on in some other illicit way, never, ever refer to there relationships or sexual identity as their "private life". that's old school evasiveness. they're just very matter of fact about their situations. pictures of husbands, wives and children are put up on Facebook and in frames on office desks. in fact they never shut up about it. the tedious minutia of every aspect of their lives is discussed openly all day long.

the notions that homosexuality is still "private", that it needs to be discussed in hushed and secretive tones, that those who choose to remain closeted should expect complicity or are entitled to it, are getting old. that's why anderson cooper came out. by remaining mute about his "private life" it gives the impression that there is some shame involved.

i get that frid came from a completely different generation. his deal was his deal. but i guess i don't think musto should be fired for referring to his(alleged) sexual identity. and salacious and scandalous things are printed about het celebs every day. look at those two kids from "twilight". if the tea can get dished about them i don't think gay celebs(and again, i didn't know frid so i'll add "alleged")are entitled to different standards.

the veil of shame and secrecy needs to be lifted once and for all.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 04:43:04 AM »
Michael Musto is an example of why gays are usually their own worst enemies.  Fred Phelphs and his Westboro Baptist Church can't do any greater damage.

Gerard

David

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 05:24:48 AM »
Michael, you are so right. The way to make this happen is for people who are out and comfortable with themselves--and there are more of us each day--to be honest about who we are.
It's still not OK to make snarky "gotcha" styled comments about someone who's passed on, someone who's done no wrong and has in fact entertained millions.

Gerard: you have no idea. Musto is part of a story I'm doing for a mainstream publication on abuse and corruption among self-serving gay activists and writers who have sabotaged the movement for personal gain. The Frid stories came up during my general research on Musto, who's done far worse.
With your permission I'd like to quote you in my story.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:26:12 AM »
No offense intended, but I certainly don't think that the subject heading of this thread raises the level of discourse.

David

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 05:30:20 AM »

[ghost_rolleyes]
You are right, Mr. Gross. I should probably take a higher road and not use terms like that.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 05:46:26 AM »
I agree with you Michael; I have no respect or affection for the closets of public figures, and I don't think it's wrong to out them either, dead or alive.  Being ambiguous and incredibly private particularly in his profession is naturally going to invite speculation.  Gossip is what gossip columnists do, that isn't about to change. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 03:17:17 PM »
Michael Musto is an example of why gays are usually their own worst enemies.  Fred Phelphs and his Westboro Baptist Church can't do any greater damage.

this is all getting completely off-topic, and the mods will likely shut this down soon...

but to compare a bit of cattiness to what phelps and his followers do is a staggeringly stupid and shocking thing to say.

with that i'll leave this topic completely.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »
With your permission I'd like to quote you in my story.

You go right ahead, David!

Gerard

David

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »
Thanks, Gerard. I'll PM you to get your full name.

Michael: I have postings on file from Musto where he denigrates and inflames hate against bisexual & transgender people for a cheap laugh. His cattiness & callous disregard for Mr. Frid's wishes is part of a much larger problem.
RE: the Frid postings: decent people respect the wishes of the deceased.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
No offense intended, but I certainly don't think that the subject heading of this thread raises the level of discourse.

Nor did it the subject title as it was originally written.  Food for thought.

Personal agendas totally unrelated to DS are patently off-topic and further postings along those lines on will be removed.