Author Topic: Box Office Shocker  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Box Office Shocker
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:35:11 AM »
What was I saying the other day about not judging the success of a film simply by its opening weekend numbers?  [ghost_wink]

Box Office Shocker: 'The Tourist' has Become an International Hit

But then, when Variety reviewed the film they said that the box office outlook for Europe was quite high...

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: Box Office Shocker
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:33:57 AM »
It's funny that for both The Tourist and Pirates 4, an article will either say it's a horrible flop (domestically) or a huge hit (internationally), depending on how they feel like spinning it.  This comment from the above article is something to keep in mind: "(The Tourist is) Depp's best showing after the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."  I think there is a perception nowadays that *every* film Johnny is in is expected to be a huge blockbuster (unlike pre-Pirates where Johnny himself was the first to call himself "box office poison"!  [ghost_embarrassed]  But in reality, other than a few astounding box office successes like the films mentioned above, the rest of his films have had quite a range of box office results.  (Not that he has anything to worry about!  [ghost_wink]  I for one don't care if DS is a huge box office success or not, though I do hope that it will at least break even.  I just want it to be a great film!

For those interested, here is Box Office Mojo's list of Johnny's box office totals (domestically).  
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=johnnydepp.htm

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
I want the DS movie to be a great film but I don't want a DS movie in name only.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 11:57:07 PM »
I think there is a perception nowadays that *every* film Johnny is in is expected to be a huge blockbuster (unlike pre-Pirates where Johnny himself was the first to call himself "box office poison"!  [ghost_embarrassed]  But in reality, other than a few astounding box office successes like the films mentioned above, the rest of his films have had quite a range of box office results.  (Not that he has anything to worry about!  [ghost_wink]  I for one don't care if DS is a huge box office success or not, though I do hope that it will at least break even.  I just want it to be a great film!

This article definitely relates to what you'd posted: Johnny Depp: 'I've Built A Career On 20 Years Of Failures'