Author Topic: Spell Checking  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Spell Checking
« on: May 11, 2002, 10:34:32 PM »
Spell checking has now been installed as part of the posting, advanced instant messaging and modifying features. I've tested it out on a number of different situations, and it seems to catch most spelling errors, though not all (particularly if any typos ended up as real words or abbreviations, but that's typical of any spell check).

If you find that you seem to be having a problem with it not catching certain spelling errors, try adjusting the "Options" settings. However, this feature is handled for us off-site by the folks at AutoSpell, so direct any major complaints/problems to them at the following e-mail address:

support@spellchecker.com

Also, I'm still in the process of figuring out how users should be able to create a custom dictionary (to add words like Collinwood, Barnabas, etc. so they won't be questioned every time they're found and a correct spelling will be available to compare against). AutoSpell support is only available Monday through Friday, so I suppose it's something that's going to have to wait until sometime next week.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Spell Checking
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2002, 03:28:01 AM »
I just used Spell Checker...one thing ?!?
it kept going back & forth between Danish?? and English U.S.

Just thought I'd mention it...

What a Woman!

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2002, 04:00:01 AM »
Yea! MB!  Are you and Midnite going to start a Moderators101 Class for others.. .you two a generous gems!   ;D
Julia99

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2002, 04:22:01 AM »
Thank you MB....
Now I can get this 2000 page American Heritage off my lap!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2002, 04:46:33 AM »
it kept going back & forth between Danish?? and English U.S.

Sometimes it says Danish in the Language window, but it's not actually using the Danish dictionary - Danish occasionally might show up there because it happens to be the first language dictionary in the list.
The spell checker would only use Danish (or one of the other 44 language dictionaries) if someone specifically chose it. The US English dictionary is specifically selected by the forum's code when the spell checker goes to the AutoSpell site. So, unless someone is wondering how to spell a word from another language, probably the best thing would be to not even touch that box. [wink2]

Also, if the spell checker hangs on a particular word, just cancel it and start again.