Poll

If you were Samantha Collins, who would YOU choose as a husband?

Quentin Collins
7 (43.8%)
Gerard Stiles
1 (6.3%)
Both! Three's Company! Live it up!
5 (31.3%)
Neither! Nothing but trouble either way! I'm ready to take my flying leap off Widow's Hill!
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: April 12, 2007, 03:39:31 AM

Author Topic: Eeny, meeny, miny, moe  (Read 1386 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe
« on: March 29, 2007, 03:39:31 AM »
Decisions, decisions this poor gal/bitch on wheels has to make.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Eeny, meeny, miny, moe
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:54:14 AM »
I voted Quentin, because that's who I think she should've picked. Realisticly, a man in Quentin's position would never have given her the choice, she would've been made to stay with him since he was her first husband. And, Samantha choosing Gerard made for much better drama because then we get the whole Quentin's-not-going-to-let-Samantha-take-Tad-out-of-the-house-because-he's-his-son-only-he's-really-not storyline, which was pretty entertaining.

So, from a writers standpoint, she made the right choice. From a human standpoint, she made the wrong one.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 06:56:06 AM »
I said neither, Instead of jumping of the Hill, pretend to jump off the Hill and then go live it up in New York, and bribe both men. Because she knows all the secrets.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 02:20:09 PM »
Quentin, he's so much sexier than Gerard!

Here are my thoughts on the Quentin/Samantha marriage....I always believed it was an arranged marriage between them, that they were forced on each other.

[spoiler]Samantha said time and time again that she and Quentin had never been happy. So when Gerard came along, she saw an opportunity to have the happiness she felt she had been denied in her marriage. (Needless to say she denied Quentin that opportunity when he wanted a divorce to find his own shot of happiness with Joanna Mills). Of course when she learned Gerard only wanted her for her money, she felt cheated yet again.[/spoiler]

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:22:17 PM »
Considering that in those days, women were "property" of their husbands after marriage, it is astounding Quentin would give her a choice at all. As for not being "happy," I don't believe women expected happiness in a marriage the way we do today. That would especially be true in a woman of that station who married old money. I chose Quentin, though, simply because he had it all over Gerard, who was a slimeball even BEFORE [spoiler]he was possessed by Judah.[/spoiler]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 09:55:48 PM »
If it was me, I would choose Quentin.

While I don't think women in those days went in to marriage expecting bliss, I don't believe they came to it expecting misery.

[spoiler]Obviously, Quentin and Samantha weren't happy in their marriage, given Quentin's infidelity, but Samantha's only option was to stay with him. Then once he was presumed to be lost at sea she took Gerard's offer of marriage quite seriously, hoping I think, to find some measure of happiness. Once Quentin returned, her chance for happiness with Gerard was snatched away.

Samantha and Quentin had long since come to an understanding  of the sad state of their marriage, and Quentin knowing Samantha couldn't truly be happy with him, gave her the choice between himself or Gerard. She chose Gerard, but I think she should have stayed with Quentin, simply because Gerard only wanted to marry her for the wealth she could provide him.[/spoiler]
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 12:55:39 AM »
[spoiler]Samantha didn't leave Quentin because she couldn't take her son[/spoiler]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 01:59:56 AM »
Gabriel.   But if you catch him by the toe and he hollers, don't let him go... bet they sang the song in its original form back then, good thing we never heard that...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 05:01:06 AM »
Gabriel.

They're certainly evenly matched. (Their scenes together, especially when they're torturing each other, are some the absolute best things about 1840/41!  [thumb]) But as a couple, well, they'd kill each other in outside of a week.  [wink2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 02:10:15 PM »
Gabriel.....interesting choice. Lord knows he and Samantha would have deserved each other! [grinb]