Poll

How do you perceive Maggie Evans' onscreen presence from the beginning of the Adam storyline, through her governess days and to the end of the show?

She became a stronger, more compelling onscreen presence during that time.
1 (6.3%)
She remained pretty much the same as a onscreen presence, stronger in some ways, weaker in others.
6 (37.5%)
She became a weaker, less compelling onscreen presence during that time.
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: September 24, 2006, 09:09:51 PM

Author Topic: Maggie Evans  (Read 2176 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Maggie Evans
« on: September 10, 2006, 09:09:51 PM »
new poll.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Evans
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 09:35:14 PM »
She became Victoria. Her own personality and identity was pretty much destroyed, IMO.

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 09:41:54 PM »
I feel she basically remained the same, in certain stories/situations she was stronger and others she was weaker it all depended i think on how important the ppl around her where used.

i.e. if the children where involved or Joe than she was stronger and more important than say when it dealt with Liz or Barnabas

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 10:42:06 PM »
I agree with Barnabas' Bride, she pretty much lost her personality and became Vicki.  It's too bad, because it would have made the show MUCH more interesting to see her react as Maggie would have during all those situations.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 05:05:52 PM »
I agree with Barnabas' Bride, she pretty much lost her personality and became Vicki.  It's too bad, because it would have made the show MUCH more interesting to see her react as Maggie would have during all those situations.

Agreed. Hence my nickname for her "Magtoria". It saddens me and makes me feel cheated knowing that her character wasn't reacting as
Maggie would have, but as Vicki would have in those later scenes. They didn't even give her a chance to grow from her experiences, as
I feel that Willie did... ~DJ

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »
They didn't even give her a chance to grow from her experiences, as I feel that Willie did...

I totally agree w/this.  Willie was an 'old pro' when it came to all the supernatural stuff that was going on at CW by the time 1970 summer had come along.  I especially liked how he handled David and Hallie during these episodes.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 05:38:28 PM »
I don't think she became Vicki entirely...Maggie is so much grittier, more impatient and harsh than Vicki--even after she becomes governess.  Vicki's so dreamy and vague, whereas Maggie's practical and precise.  I do think Maggie underwent some changes following her new job, but wouldn't you have, too?  She's a small town girl moving into big, scary Collinwood--some changes are only natural.  I admit, however, that the writers became a bit sloppy...

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 07:28:06 PM »
I don't think she became Vicki entirely...Maggie is so much grittier, more impatient and harsh than Vicki--even after she becomes governess.  Vicki's so dreamy and vague, whereas Maggie's practical and precise.  I do think Maggie underwent some changes following her new job, but wouldn't you have, too?  She's a small town girl moving into big, scary Collinwood--some changes are only natural.  I admit, however, that the writers became a bit sloppy...

I don't know if I can truthfully say that I SAW any semblance of Maggie in her character as time went on. I mean, come on! There's a difference btwn making a transition for a new job and a new life and becoming an entirely new person. From what I saw, slowly she went from the tough and gritty Maggie you made mention of to the soft and even nostalgic Victoria Winters!! If the writers cared that much for Victoria, why didn't they just keep the actress (either one) who replaced her and allowed Maggie Evans to continue on as Maggie Evans?

Maggie had strength. Maggie endured. She went through hell, and even with all those memories swimming dangerously close to her conscious, she still had this intensity to her. I saw none of that in her as time went by after Vicki left.

I agree, though, that she showed somewhat of that strength in the leviathan story. But even then, all her facial expressions seemed to be very soft and doe-like.
~DJ

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 12:58:08 AM »
to quote midnite(sort of)this topic is giving me deja-vu all over again...

...but i'll throw my two cents(again)in anyways(and probably quote myself in the process).

i tried to get into the groove of "magtoria" but in the end i just don't go for it.

i can totally see how the producers thought this to be "win-win" situation at the time.alexandra was gone,her replacement had not been successful,and waiting in the wings was a similarly "ingenue-ish" character not being especially well used at that moment.maggie's "support system" was diminishing.joel crothers and david ford were gone(or about to depart)and the diner set was knocked down.so why not bring her into the fold up at collinwood?

but in the end i think that maggie as governess inherited vicki's worst characteristics(her haplessness and helplessness)and none of her best ones(her sweetness and naivity)and lost alot of her own sass and spunk in the process.

please don't get me wrong...i love kathryn leigh scott as maggie evans.but in terms of collinwood governess i'll always want to see vicki and wish maggie had continued with her own,seperate storyline. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 03:14:24 AM »
The thing about Maggie is, that if Alexandria stayed, Maggie would probably have been written out at the same time Joe was.  Perhaps they would have them get married and leave town.  With the Quentin Ghost/Chris Werewolf story, Maggie would have become irrelevant.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 03:26:57 AM »
the potential for "irrelevancy" aside...

all this depends on what kathryn leigh scott's contract looked like. ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 04:24:00 AM »
i can totally see how the producers thought this to be "win-win" situation at the time.alexandra was gone,her replacement had not been successful,and waiting in the wings was a similarly "ingenue-ish" character not being especially well used at that moment.maggie's "support system" was diminishing.joel crothers and david ford were gone(or about to depart)and the diner set was knocked down.so why not bring her into the fold up at collinwood?

but in the end i think that maggie as governess inherited vicki's worst characteristics(her haplessness and helplessness)and none of her best ones(her sweetness and naivity)and lost alot of her own sass and spunk in the process.

please don't get me wrong...i love kathryn leigh scott as maggie evans.but in terms of collinwood governess i'll always want to see vicki and wish maggie had continued with her own,seperate storyline. :P

ITA. With Joe & Pop gone, Maggie had absolutely nobody to REALLY talk to. She and Carolyn never had much of a relationship, which could have worked into a nice "best friends" relationship. Too bad she never hooked up with Willie, he sure adored her.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 04:29:42 AM »
Too bad she never hooked up with Willie, he sure adored her.

Well you just made a friend outta Karlenfan w/that comment, LOL!  She always says Maggie was Willie's unrequited love, sorta like Barnabas was Julia's.   :D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 05:40:14 PM »
I'm in agreement with those who believe Maggie lost her personality and just became "Vicki-lite" once she'd taken over as governess.  It almost seems as if the writers lost interest in her too, once Victoria was gone.  She was essentially just there to nag and be frightened by the devil children, David and Amy, during the Quentin haunting Collinwood storyline.  Once they returned from 1897, she had little to do.  It's disappointing, because I really like KLS.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 07:29:52 AM »
Too bad she never hooked up with Willie, he sure adored her.

Well you just made a friend outta Karlenfan w/that comment, LOL!  She always says Maggie was Willie's unrequited love, sorta like Barnabas was Julia's.   :D

Mmm. And me, as well. :)  You all know I adore those two (W&M) together [luv]. ~DJ