Author Topic: More Storyline Speculation  (Read 7288 times)

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
More Storyline Speculation
« on: February 16, 2005, 09:33:20 PM »
I was wondering from all of you...what supernatural stories have you read that you'd like to have seen turned into storylines on DS? Maybe not even supernatural, but possibly stories like..."The Awakening," "The Time Machine," or "The Scarlet Letter?" What do you all wish for?

It could possibly even be a storyline you made up in your head! Heh.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: More Storyline Speculation
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 09:51:56 PM »

Well, I'd think (and hope) they would have stuck with the gothic fiction and not strayed too much into sci-fi or other genres (though Parallel Time was definitely a sci-fi staple, DS presented it in terms of the supernatural - Warren Oddson did an interesting essay once about that subject).  I'd say the "Bottle Imp" by Robert Louis Stevenson might have been good one.  I think a Faustian deal with the devil (or a demon) storyline would have been great too.

~PennyDreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 10:02:42 PM »
Dr. Faustus was indeed a good story. Deal with the devil, eh? Amanda Harris come to mind? Though that was more like Orpheus in the Underworld, the premise of a deal with the devil is reminiscent of Marlowe's work.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 10:13:28 PM »
;D
I was wondering from all of you...what supernatural stories have you read that you'd like to have seen turned into storylines on DS? Maybe not even supernatural, but possibly stories like..."The Awakening," "The Time Machine," or "The Scarlet Letter?" What do you all wish for?

It could possibly even be a storyline you made up in your head! Heh.

One idea I had, in which I ended writing my first fan fiction, was Barnabas meeting up with a slayer [loosely based on the Buffy/Angel shows]

Another thought would be "Back to the Future", "Gone with the Wind" or "The Others".  ;D
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 05:04:28 AM »

If they pursued the Seaview House storyline, a cool adaptation for that could have been Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher."  Although, of course, the collapsing house at the end would have to occur offscreen!  8)

They really already adapted/swiped storylines and elements from most of the classic terror stories though.

~PennyDreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 03:51:51 PM »
If they pursued the Seaview House storyline, a cool adaptation for that could have been Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher."  Although, of course, the collapsing house at the end would have to occur offscreen! 

I like that ending but in general I also concur with another poster that I perfer DS when it wasn't going all over the place with monster of the week scenarios. I would have kept the monster focus on Barnabas, Angelique and subsequent vampires (all victims of Barnabas but really Angelique) and various ghosts from the past. That Vickie was transported to the past is an amazing fact glossed over even in the 1795 storyline. I would have tried to incorporate basic soap opera stuff (with people) in and around Collinwood and Collinsport as well.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 12:02:36 AM »
I've always thought it would be fun to write a tale wherein Carl Kolchak, having lost his job at every reputable newspaper in the country, ends up employed by the Collinsport Herald -- now edited by the redoubtable Anthony Vincenzo, of course. Needless to say, there's enough going on in Collinsport to keep even Kolchak busier than a wharf rat in a barrel of moldy cheese. And will Sheriff Patterson believe -anything- he says? Nooooo.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 01:49:33 AM »
Now THERE'S an inspired idea, Mark.

Kolchak in Collinsport!!

Where do we start sending petitions...? :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 02:21:51 AM »
Ian...too funny...just a couple of nights ago, "The Time Machine" was on. I couldn't watch it, but I thought about time travel & DS...so, loosely, DS already been there/done that.

Kolchak....terrific..BUT...nowadays I read so many women authors, it would be nice to have some stronger women kicking but (think FAITH!!lol).

Back to the Future was done too (1795 & 1897, Barn/Vicki went back).

Let's see, "Rebecca", "Turn of the Screw", "Dr. Jekyl/Hyde"...the classics.

Now space travel, which since DS has become a commonality, that would be fun to 'explore' (think Julia on Mars!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 02:30:34 AM »
Hmmm...space travel? I prefer the old mythological sci-fi than futuristic. Like...I could never get into shows like Stargate or Star Trek.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 06:11:45 AM »
After traveling back in time so often to prevent tragedy and encountering various allies who are skeptical of their stories, (e.g. Magda in 1897, Ben Stokes in 1840) I think it would have been a neat twist for Barnabas and Julia to meet a visitor from the future--perhaps even a descendant of David or Carolyn--who has come back to 1971 to "change history" and save the family.  Knowing from experience that such things are possible, it would be interesting to see whether B and J accept the traveler's story and help her or him to avert the catastrophe, or if they would remain suspicious of the newcomer's identity and motives.

ProfStokes

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 09:39:54 PM »
I think it would have been a neat twist for Barnabas and Julia to meet a visitor from the future--perhaps even a descendant of David or Carolyn--who has come back to 1971 to "change history" and save the family. 

ProfStokes, have you read Charles Delaware Troll's amazing continuation of DS?  He wrote DS episode summaries for a year of DS which never actually existed and wrote these summaries in such a way that they were completely in keeping with the nature of the show.  The above plotline is explored during the course of his summaries.  I personally became addicted to reading these.  They are really good IMO.

http://members.aol.com/chasdtroll/mainp.html

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline jeffreywj777

• Junior Poster
  • A Story of Blood Relations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 10:37:06 PM »
I would love to see a version of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" done for the Collins family. Julia and Barnabus combined should be the equal of Sherlock Holmes.

I also would really like to have seen the Leviathian segment redone more in line with H. P. Lovecrafts original intent. Collinwood would become an eternal battleground for humanity to keep back the old ones from claiming Earth as their own again.

The idea of having Carl Kolchak in town would have been a great story line Mark. Good suggestion.
Jeffrey

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2005, 08:48:48 AM »
I would love to see a version of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" done for the Collins family.

That would have been cool.  Except, of course, on DS the Hound would have probably been a real ghost or some demon dog from hell.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2005, 05:24:57 PM »
Actually, I watched "Sliders" the other day, and I thought of 1840?pt?'s Quentin's machine.

Also, I LOVE the idea of a David/Carolyn descendent going back in time!!!!

Patti
What a Woman!