Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1169  (Read 1030 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1169
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1169
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
Today's episode is where Dark Shadows really missed the boat, as far as I'm concerned.  As soon as Barnabas heard that the root of the problem was in 1692, he should have grabbed Julia and rushed off to that year by any means possible.  I'm imagining Julia sitting on his lap while he frantically I Chings his way there.  Think of it: Barnabas and Julia first see the disaster in its final manifestation in 1995, then go back to 1970 and are unable to stop it, then back to 1840 for further frustration, and finally back to 1692 for victory - traveling back in time, step by step, for a total of  over 300 years to prevent the disaster.  Magnificent!  But instead they stopped at 1840.  I know that 1692 might have been considered unattractive to viewers because neither Collinwood nor the Old House would be there, but we could have had some amusing scenes with busily ambitious early Collinses.

Instead we have Barnabas persuading Angelique that it's Gerard who is possessed rather than Quentin.  I am surprised that it took so little time for Barnabas to convince her that she was wrong.  That must have been a serious blow to her vanity, and yet she absorbed it without a tantrum.  But then again, Angelique is a changed woman now, lifting Barnabas's curse without requiring any sort of a quid pro quo.  I'm not bothered, incidentally, by the fact that she was able to lift the curse in 1840 even though she couldn't do it in 1795.  I suggested, in Magnus's topic about 1840 Angelique, a long roundabout route by which circumstances could have changed, but it could simply be that she was able to lift the curse if and only if, of her own free will, she abandoned any thought of quid pro quo.  Having assumed that, of course we must then figure out why Angelique changed her tune, but I can think of a couple of possible reasons for that, too.

I hope Louis Edmonds had as much fun playing Daniel's ghost as I'm imagining him having.  Meanwhile, Gabriel, having compassed the death of Daniel and being haunted by him, is now working on murdering Gerard so he can be haunted by him.  Gabriel's bad, but I didn't think he was stupid.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:57:37 PM »
Although pink is my least favorite color, I just love Angelique's knock-out iridescent pink gown.

Lydia, what a thrilling scenario you've sketched! I think it would have been a hoot to see Amadeus Collins and his various relatives living in rudely built, filthy log cabins, grubbing their way to the top of the heap. And your image of Barn I Chinging his way back to 1692 with Julia on his lap is priceless! I'm sure she would have been accused of witchcraft (another trial scene!) for running around trying to doctor everyone or give them transfusions at least.

I suppose lifting the curse must be Miranda/Angelique/Valerie's first altruistic act since 1692 at least, if not longer. Maybe in 1795 she was just out of practice. And of course the last thing she would want would be for Gerard to destroy Barnabas.

I think Louis Edmonds's four ghostly characters are highlights of the series, much more fun that the feckless Roger or the pompous, blustering Edward.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, DarkLady!  And I love the idea of Julia being tried as a witch because of her doctoring ways!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 12:37:29 AM »
Although pink is my least favorite color, I just love Angelique's knock-out iridescent pink gown.

I thought LP looked smashing in that gown. Although it reminded me of Bette Davis in Elizabeth and Essex. Or was it May Robson? A bit regal, if you ask me.

I would have thought Barnabas would have remained suspicious of Angelique after everything she's done to him in the past. Hopefully, she is sincere and will help Barn fight Gerard.

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
Actually, I'm not quite sure how much grubbing the 1692 Collinses might have been doing because the backstory of Collinsport is that Sir Isaac Collins (he's the guy with the beard in the portrait in Collinwood's drawing room) founded Collinsport in the 17th century (though I don't believe any specific year was ever given). It would seem that the European Collinses were already rich, so it's likely that Isaac came to the New World with at least a portion of that wealth. And knowing how the Collinses operate, one can suspect that Isaac, as the wealthy founder of Collinsport, quickly cemented his and his family's place as influential leaders. And while in all probability they did live in a First-Period English Style (1600-1700) house, I'm picturing something more along the lines of the Iron Works House in Saugus, MA, than a log cabin.  [snow_wink]

Part of the front facade.

The back facade. And -

The second story chamber, where honored guests would be received.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
Hey, that works for me! I'm sure Sir Isaac would feel right at home there, especially since the predominant color of the furnishings is green. Maybe that's where it started.  [snow_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 06:38:21 PM »
I'm sure Sir Isaac would feel right at home there, especially since the predominant color of the furnishings is green. Maybe that's where it started.  [snow_wink]

I wouldn't be surprised.  [snow_cheesy]