Author Topic: How many times do we see people in casual clothes?  (Read 4074 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: How many times do we see people in casual clothes?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 04:51:25 AM »
In episodes 321 and 322  Sam is wearing a jacket around the house.  He went outside  but when he came back in, he didn't take it off.  Joe had his checkered square weave jacket. He never took it off. I think it would have been hot under the lights.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 05:50:44 AM »
On the subject of clothes.... SPOILERS ahead for the non 1840 crowd!

Anyhow, I'm watching boxset 23. Julia has just arrived in 1840 and is hiding in the playroom while Samantha and Carrie lament over Quentin and Tad. Shouldn't Samantha be wearing black? Didn't mourning customs at the time dictate that widows wear black for at least a year after their husband's deaths? I know there was little love lost between Q & S (from what I remember) but I'm kind of shocked to see her wearing a bright reddish/orange dress.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 07:47:57 AM »
On the subject of clothes.... SPOILERS ahead for the non 1840 crowd!

Anyhow, I'm watching boxset 23. Julia has just arrived in 1840 and is hiding in the playroom while Samantha and Carrie lament over Quentin and Tad. Shouldn't Samantha be wearing black? Didn't mourning customs at the time dictate that widows wear black for at least a year after their husband's deaths? I know there was little love lost between Q & S (from what I remember) but I'm kind of shocked to see her wearing a bright reddish/orange dress.

At that point Quentin and Tad were missing.  Later, when Gerard arrived, he told them that Quentin and Tad had died.
Josette

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 03:50:31 PM »
Ah, ha! Thanks, apparently I jumped the gun.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 05:18:50 PM »
I can assure you, though, that did not go on in my household. My 1950's mother was casual at home. However, if she went to the store or out to a restaurant or anything, she got dressed up (well, not so much for the store, but within reason).

In the early 60's I can remember my mother wearing pedal pusher slacks (a lot like capris for those who are too young to recall them) sleeveless summer tops, and slip-on flats (shoes) and sandals.  My father went casual cotton or knit Tee (type) shirts and lighter cotton slacks.  Little kids (like my sister and I) wore shorts, striped and print tees, keds sandals, and occasionally cooled off in our snazzy sun-suits.  I don't remember dressing up to go to the store but, that may have been partly because the grocery store was in the neighborhood.  Church was a completely different look than you see today.  Dresses, dress shoes, (sometimes) white gloves and hats (or chapel scarves).  We always laughed at the lack of realisim on TV when it came to clothes, etc.  It was really funny also when someone was having a party and playing goofy music that you had never heard of.  I think they were pretty over-dressed on DS but, I figured it had more to do with the lifestyle of the rich and cursed than anything else.  ;)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 05:47:50 PM »
I think they were pretty over-dressed on DS but, I figured it had more to do with the lifestyle of the rich and cursed than anything else.  ;)

Indeed. As well as the fact that Ohrbachs was showcasing their clothes (which were considered "high fashion at low prices") on DS (and other soaps) in the hopes that viewers would see something they liked and go to the store to purchase it.  ;)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 06:16:16 PM »
As well as the fact that Ohrbachs was showcasing their clothes (which were considered "high fashion at low prices") on DS (and other soaps) in the hopes that viewers would see something they liked and go to the store to purchase it.  ;)
It probably did the trick too because years later I can remember watching the nighttime mega soaps like Dallas etc. just to see the fashions.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 02:21:27 AM »
My father was from the south where it's hot, so I think he always thought shorts in public were okay.    I never wear shorts in front of people.    My father, though, was one of the WW2 guys who complained about 'kids' with jeans, yet he went with jeans later, himself.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 07:12:35 AM »
Watching Barnabas in  the long Green Robe he still had pants on and shoes.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

I think even  think with the experiment he certainly wasn't in a hospital gown.  The closed thing is we see Barnabas casual is in his night shirt when he falls when he is dying.

Offline Elizabeth47

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 06:55:21 PM »
I believe Nicholas Blair wore that same grey/black silky thing over his suit when he was relaxing at Blair House.  I wonder if Jonathan and Humbert shared the same lounging outfit!

Elizabeth-

I had to laugh one time at Barnabas and his own brand of 'casual."  I forget the storyline, but there he was at the Old House, hanging out--maybe reading a book or something, and his ONLY nod to casual dress was that grey/black silky looking coat/dress sort of thing.  Like a fancy smoking jacket that was longer and more full--except he wasn't smoking.

It was like he had come in. and gone, "Whew!  I need to relax!"  So he took off his cape and suit coat and put on this coat/dress thing OVER what he was already wearing.  He didn't EVEN take off his TIE!!!!

Talk about CASUAL DRESS!  THAT Barnabas!  What a BOHEMIAN!!!!  LOL!!!!

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 02:00:42 PM »
On the subject of Ohrbach's, I can recall in 1967 when my mother bought me a dress from there. I was thrilled speechless! The thing was plug ugly (in retrospect), but I was wearing a real "DS" dress -- LOL! Too funny!

As for Nicky's smoking jacket, it was different from Barnabas'. Nicky's was a grey silk thing (my, but he was fond of grey). Barn's was green and long, almost like a dress. Nicky's was short.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »
Barnabas had a purple  one that he had during the Julia and Tom, when she was zapped by him.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 04:45:16 PM »
at some point they decided to turn kathryn leigh scott into a fashion plate because starting in around 1970 she gets her own credit saying something like "miss scott's clothing by junior sophisticates".

before this she wears alot of the same clothes but during 1970 she gets lots and lots of new outfits.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »
Barnabas had a purple  one that he had during the Julia and Tom, when she was zapped by him.
I think I'm suffering from a bit of that faulty DS memory...for some reason I am seeing Barnabas in a dark (dare I say blood  ::) ) red smoking jacket.  Maybe some of this happened during the B&W period and we're all working out of our own memory/imaginations.   ;D

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 07:23:24 PM »
Barnabas definitely had a red one. In fact, there are many photos of Frid wearing it.  ;)  Though in the same episode in which he wears it during the Julia/Tom period, he also wears this robe:

It's sort of purply-red.  :)