Author Topic: Fox's Rocky Horror Picture Show Gets a Pre-Halloween Premiere Date  (Read 869 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Fox's Rocky Horror Picture Show Gets a Pre-Halloween Premiere Date
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:19:27 AM »
Watch Laverne Cox Totally Own The Rocky Horror Picture Show Trailer

"Any fears die-hard The Rocky Horror Picture Show fans might've had about Fox's take on the beloved musical got shot and buried six feet deep Thursday after a tantalizing new trailer was released."

So long as Dr. Frank-N-Furter says "How nice - and what charming under-clothes you both have" when 'he' ogles Brad and Janet in their underwear, I'll be happy. No matter how often I see the film, I always howl after that line. And I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just the way Tim Curry delivers it. But we'll see in the new version...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 09:32:21 PM »
Rocky Horror Picture Show on Fox: Watch the First 5 Minutes Now

That was fun. Hopefully the rest will be as good.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:06:28 PM »
WHAT TO WATCH TONIGHT
October 20, 2016
Rocky Horror Remake, Project Runway Spinoff and More

08:00PM
Fox
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Lovebirds Janet (Eye Candy‘s Victoria Justice) and Brad (Liv and Maddie‘s Ryan McCartan) stumble upon the annual Transylvanian science convention held by Dr. Frank-N-Furter (OITNB‘s Laverne Cox).

I'm looking forward to seeing this, if for no other reason than I've read conflicting reviews of it. One in particular loved everything about it except one aspect, whereas another loved what the other review didn't but wasn't always keen on everything else. It's like the reviewers saw two totally different versions of the program, so it's going to be interesting to make up my own mind...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 12:34:14 PM »
looks like a high-gloss, Disney-sanitized train wreck.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 07:34:59 PM »
Well, what a waste that was.  Apparently, they must have thought casting Laverne Cox as Frank-N-Furter would be perfect to tie in with the "Transsexual, Transylvania" aspect.  But they also then ignored the key phrase "Sweet Transvestite"--I failed to see anything hinting at "transvestite" in Frank-N-Furter last night.  While Cox did an okay job, her performance was largely an imitation of Tim Curry, and lacked any of the darker, more menacing tones that Curry gave the role.

I thought the portrayal of Janet was totally wrong.  In a couple of scenes, it looks like she was deliberately aiming for "bad sci-fi/horror acting", but it wasn't in line with the approach taken by any of the other cast members.

And what was up with the production design and staging?  Okay, the director insisted on doing it as a film, not as a live show.  So why did they have most of the sets look like live theater sets, and most of the action staged as if before a live audience, and light it all with bright, even lighting?  It all looked expensive (as in budget) and cheap (as in quality) at the same time.  The Frank-and-Janet and Frank-and-Brad scenes were especially bad--not only with the lighting (so bright!!) but also with the stage direction, which turned it into something like a slapstick farce.

The finale was SO ABRUPT!  While it was pretty much verbatim from the UK version of the film, it was so rushed that it felt like a scene was missing.

Overall, a pointless exercise that resulted in a total waste of time.  After it was over, I popped in the Blu-ray of the original film and reminded myself how good that one actually was.  (And yes, it was.  Don't listen to those who say only the audience participation makes it worthwhile.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 10:00:47 PM »
I didn't honestly think it was a complete waste. I agree that Laverne Cox was uneven, and casting a transgender woman as Dr. Frank'N'Furter, while possibly a great idea in theory, caused much of the dialogue and situations to fall flat (some of the best lines and moments of the original were even completely glossed over! [hall2_cry]) And while, no matter how many times I've seen it, I always feel bad for Frank near the end of the original when I'm Going Home is performed, I'm not quite sure why, but I really felt very little in this version. Plus, too much of the show tried too hard to be exactly like the original, which is something that's almost always doomed. But I actually liked Virginia Justice's take on Janice - and I especially liked Ryan McCartan’s Brad. And I thought reworking Wild And Untamed Thing as a Tina Turner takeoff was quite enjoyable and at least semi-inspired. And it didn't bother me all that much that the original R-rated shenanigans were PG-ized because it was a broadcast TV version and even when the original was shown on Fox some years back it was sanitized for broadcast TV. Broadcast TV and Rocky Horror aren't really a match. It would have been much better had a TV remake been done for cable. But alas...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 07:32:10 PM »
Performer of the Week: HONORABLE MENTION | ... Ryan McCartan’s breakthrough performance as bespectacled baritone Brad Majors. ...

What they had to say about him is worth checking out.

And I forgot to mention that I also thought that Adam Lambert was quite good as Eddie.

I read yesterday that Lambert was actually offered the part of Dr. Frank'N'Furter but turned it down. I suppose I can understand why - Tim Curry's pumps are hard to fill [hall2_wink], but I can't help thinking he would have been great in the role...