Author Topic: Computer question re: Windows SP2  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
Re: Computer question re: Windows SP2
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2005, 12:07:39 AM »
I hate to say "nevermind" regarding my earlier posts, but maybe those "hotfixes" I downloaded last night weren't SP2 itself.

::)

When it comes to Microsoft, it's nearly impossible to second guess anything they're likely to do, so certainly *you're* not the one at fault.  ;)

It almost feels like they, MS, do it on purpose to make people come back to download...but nothing ever seems different.  I have loads of "hotfixes" stored on my computer but I wonder if they are doing any "hot" jobs!!!  >:(
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2005, 12:19:50 AM »
I just turned on my computer and got a message saying I need to download ServicePack2.

???

I hate to say "nevermind" regarding my earlier posts, but maybe those "hotfixes" I downloaded last night weren't SP2 itself.

::)

Vlad,

No need to feel bad.

First off, you can turn off the automatic updates to prevent your computer from downloading them without your permission.  And then you won't be pestered to install.  However, this will mean you'll need to check for important updates yourself.

As for SP2, after installing it, links on other sites sometimes wouldn't open, but these are the problems I experienced on dsboards using Mozilla Firefox 1.0:

Message links not opening
Posts wouldn't submit-- "no data" error
Modifications wouldn't submit-- "no data" error
Session timeouts for no discernible reason

Using Netscape 7.2, I experienced all of the above plus the screen froze when trying to send or delete PMs.  Imagine trying to administer with all THAT happening, grrr.  It became apparent that there was no other solution but to uninstall SP2 so I did it this past weekend.  I'm running WinXP with fixes (SP2) plus other updates and having no problems now.  :D

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2005, 01:55:44 AM »
I can't say I've had a single problem with SP2. It downloaded fine (with firewall and AV on), and I haven't experienced any unusual issues with my machine. That may be due in part to the fact that the machine was quite new when SP2 loaded (I got it in May of last year). I still refuse to use IE, however, except for when I need to access the Microsoft site. Firefox is not invulnerable, but it sure is a damn sight more secure than IE; I've got AdAware and Spybot, and in the last six months, haven't found a single instance of ad/spyware on this machine.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2005, 06:02:38 AM »
Using Netscape 7.2, I experienced all of the above plus the screen froze when trying to send or delete PMs.  Imagine trying to administer with all THAT happening, grrr.  It became apparent that there was no other solution but to uninstall SP2 so I did it this past weekend.  I'm running WinXP with fixes (SP2) plus other updates and having no problems now.  :D

All my problems pale in comparison ...  ;)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995