Author Topic: 2008 Fest  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
2008 Fest
« on: August 17, 2007, 10:40:54 PM »
So today, while waiting in the extremely long fest line, after finally getting my program, I found something that I just couldn't wait to share with the rest of you. And that is the information about next year's fest.

"Coming July 18-20, 2008....

Dark Shadows Festival at Marriott Burbank Airport Hotel and Convention Center, Burbank California....

Celebrating the DVD Release of House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows plus preparations for Warner Brothers' new Dark Shadows movie with Johnny Depp!"

Just thought that you West Coasters around these parts would be ESTACTIC to know about this! And I'm off to have more festly fun!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Fest
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:23:29 PM »
VERY INTERESTING.   How often do the plans change when they are put out this far in advance?  I guess I'll have to start saving my money. It will take a year to get the money together. I wonder how much money I can save on plane tickets.  Hotel resvervations and the like.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 11:35:07 PM »
Oh, happy day!  That hotel used to be a Hilton and was just recently converted to a Marriott.  Some friends and I mentioned not too long ago that a Fest could be held there.  And it's a three-day event!  I feel better.

Thank you, Brandon!  You've made my day!  :-*

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 12:46:26 AM »
How often do the plans change when they are put out this far in advance?

It's quite normal for us to know a year in advance when the next Fest is. Last year may have been the first time or at least the first time in a very long time that the dates for the next year's event weren't in the program. And as far as the dates changing, I'm pretty sure the only time that has happened was the '03 Brooklyn Fest when, "due to scheduling conflicts with celebrity guests," the original dates of August 8th, 9th and 10th were extremely unexpectedly changed in November '02 to August 29th, 30th and 31st, much to many fans' consternation. However, that year there was also an issue that the actual NY hotel location wasn't announced right away. But this year we already know it will be the Marriott Burbank Airport Hotel and Convention Center, so we *should* be able to plan next year's dates and location confidently.  ;)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 01:00:17 AM »
as far as the dates changing, I'm pretty sure the only time that has happened was the '03 Brooklyn Fest when, "due to scheduling conflicts with celebrity guests," the original dates of August 8th, 9th and 10th were extremely unexpectedly changed in November '02 to August 29th, 30th and 31st, much to many fans' consternation. However, that year there was also an issue that the actual NY hotel location wasn't announced right away.

I was a fan who benefited from that move.  I thought I'd never, ever be able to go to a Fest.  But it turned out that the Fest was being held the weekend I sailed back to New York from that cruise to Bermuda.  I got to spend only a few hours on Saturday at it, but it's something that I will never forget.  I still have the photo of me and TLATKLS sitting on top of my computer monitor.  I doubt if I'll ever be able to go to a Fest again, but for just a brief time in my life my dreams had come true.  (And it seemed that many of the fans had adjusted to the change.  The place was packed.)

Gerard

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:41:09 AM »
"Coming July 18-20, 2008....

Dark Shadows Festival at Marriott Burbank Airport Hotel and Convention Center, Burbank California....

Celebrating the DVD Release of House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows plus preparations for Warner Brothers' new Dark Shadows movie with Johnny Depp!"

Hmmm...I doubt that Warners would allow such an announcement if it weren't true.  Let's hope Darren Gross will be able to provide a few details.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 08:28:20 AM »
Well this is very welcome news.  Time to start planning for the next costume gala!  It will be Kitty and Minja's birthdays that week-end as well.  I'm thinking fun cake time here or at least some serious bar time.

I'm doing the happy dance!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 02:10:54 PM »
Very very nice nice nice. Muchas gracias, Brandon.

Hope you all have fun this weekend. See you next year!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 03:00:34 AM »
Thanks for letting us know Brandon :)

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 03:10:53 AM »
Happy Day! I'll start saving! I'm in a wheelchair and on  a vent--anyone know if the fest is generally accessible ?
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 05:02:24 AM »
I'm glad I could brighten everyone's day with this announcement.

Rainingwolf--I think that the fest is accessible to those in a wheelchair. On Friday before everything began, I happened to catch Pierson in the hallway telling some of the volunteers to rearrange some stuff because handicapped persons would not be able to access the dealers table. I think he's conscious of that.

A little side note: When I was standing in KLS' autograph line, I had my program book folded open and the advertisement for next year's fest was facing towards Kathryn's hubby. He saw it there, then leaned over to Kathryn and said: "Looks like Jim set a date for the fest next year. He hadn't told us about anything yet."

So, I suppose that things are subject to change between now and then, if even the star guests don't know about the date yet.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 05:35:34 AM »
So, I suppose that things are subject to change between now and then, if even the star guests don't know about the date yet.

Actually, the stars are often the last to know - about the Fest dates, or even if they're invited.  ::)  History pretty much says we can be almost certain those will be the dates for next year and that will be the location. What is interesting, though, is that the announcement doesn't play up that next year will be the Fest's 25th year.  :-   And if, as heralded, we get the hoDS/NoDS DVD and some inside news on the progress of the Depp/DS film, what a 25th year it will be!  [thumb]

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 01:05:29 PM »
I was pleased they have dates for next year even thought I doubt I can attend. I have some summer travel plans in the works already so don't know if I can swing both. It shows thought that the event is still in full speed ahead and we should have a few more I beleive to look forward to.
Maybe a visit in Burbank from Johnny Depp would be appropriate? You think it could happen?? :o
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 04:37:33 PM »
Maybe a visit in Burbank from Johnny Depp would be appropriate? You think it could happen?? :o

Whoa, that would be awesome, wouldn't it??  8)  I would tend to doubt it'd be possible, because he's such a busy guy and is also a little public appearance-shy.  But you never know!

Cathy

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 09:17:39 PM »
It will be Kitty and Minja's birthdays that week-end as well.  I'm thinking fun cake time here or at least some serious bar time.

PARTY TIME!!! [beer]

Always, Minja [cool9]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"