Author Topic: Ins, Outs and Thankyous  (Read 818 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Ins, Outs and Thankyous
« on: August 11, 2002, 04:04:36 AM »
I know that the door of "the great house of Collinwood" was an exact replica of the actual house in Newport, but does anyone know anything about the design itself?  I noticed that there is a round and then pointed pattern and I think I vaguely recall a style (in furniture at least) called egg and dart.  Does that sound right?  :-/

Also, many thanks Midnite for making VAMpuppy's comeback possible!  :D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Ins, Outs and Thankyous
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2002, 11:20:42 AM »

Also, many thanks Midnite for making VAMpuppy's comeback possible!  :D

I have a bow-wow named after me?  ::)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2002, 05:32:57 PM »

I have a bow-wow named after me?  ::)

I didn't think about that but I guess it would be only in the sense that you're both named after Vampires.  Of course, like you, this is only his online name.  He's Nigel Griffin Jones in real life - a mostly  ::) sweet Welsh corgi.  As if to prove he's actually a vampuppy he did take a nasty bite out of one of my fingers the other day. An obvious attempt to imitate Barn's wrist bite on poor old Willie. [fangs]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2002, 09:41:32 PM »
I know that the door of "the great house of Collinwood" was an exact replica of the actual house in Newport, but does anyone know anything about the design itself?

Actually not an "exact" replica of the front doors at Seaview Terrace - theirs are MUCH larger. The "style" is copied from it, however. Don't know much about door styles, but Seaview Terrace was designed as a French chatteau of the Renaissance period, if that helps.
?!?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 04:56:26 AM »
From what I also remember when being there, upon entering the foyer, the large, stained-glass window on the upper portion of the wall is there (but no grand staircase - that was off to the left, just beyond the foyer, along the outside wall.  And there are doors leading straight across from the front doors into the "drawing room" which, from what I recall, was being used as something like a multi-purpose room for the college.

Gerard