Author Topic: When Did Black Eyeliner become pase?  (Read 3016 times)

Connie

Re: When Did Black Eyeliner become pase?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2002, 06:33:42 AM »
- but please, oh great gods of smoke and mirrors, don't let eyeliner itself go the way of the dinosaur.  I wouldn't carry my trash to the curb without having it on, and I am sure that some other woman of a certain age can relate.

ROFL.  Ya know, before I hit 40, I would never leave the house without some sort of make-up on.  Now, I MIGHT put some on maybe once every couple of months.  I just can't be bothered anymore.  (Also, what's the use at this point?)  LOL
One big problem:  It smears and smudges so easily.  HOW do you keep liner and mascara from smudging - even when you haven't had it on that long?
(Please send any and all make-up tips to):

-CLC
(over the hill)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2002, 12:55:38 PM »

ROFL.  Ya know, before I hit 40, I would never leave the house without some sort of make-up on.  Now, I MIGHT put some on maybe once every couple of months.  I just can't be bothered anymore.  (Also, what's the use at this point?)  LOL

-CLC
(over the hill)

You mellow with age and that includes facial features...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2002, 05:23:56 PM »
One big problem:  It smears and smudges so easily.  HOW do you keep liner and mascara from smudging - even when you haven't had it on that long?

Avon Glimmersticks. Since turning 40 (several years ago) I have been hunting and trying everything in the eyeliner department.  A friend started selling Avon, and I had to do the obligatory buy from her, now I swear by this stuff.  Doesn't smudge, doesn't do the melt in hot weather thing.  I work 12 hour days sometimes, and the stuff holds up throughout.

Mascara I hate, and only wear it for the extreme dressy occassion.  If I get any more washed out looking, though, I swear I will try the lash dying thing.  

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2002, 09:49:06 PM »
The eye makeup on the women doesn't bother me; but they used WAY too much eyeliner on Jonathan Frid! I realize the intent of "stage" make-up so the features are all clearly visible but when they go in for tight close-ups of Frid and some of the other male actors like Astredo, the eyeliner is far too obvious. I can almost imagine Barnabas and Nicholas getting together to swap make-up tips.

Barnabas: Have you tried this stuff from Avon? It's Too Faboo!

Nicholas: You're not still wearing THAT stuff? Girlfriend, let me introduce you to my good friend Maybelline.

Connie

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2002, 01:00:21 AM »

Avon Glimmersticks....now I swear by this stuff.  Doesn't smudge, doesn't do the melt in hot weather thing.  I work 12 hour days sometimes, and the stuff holds up throughout.
n

Ah...thanks for the tip.  Now I just gotta find an Avon lady.
Remember the old "Avon calling" commercials?  LOL

-CLC

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2002, 11:23:33 PM »

Then they started using a lighter gold brown shade and globbing it around her natural brow like an overgrown, sideways comma. You can see her natural brow through it and I just want to wipe the whole mess off. Similar to todays look of full lips with lipstick, when you can SEE quite well that the natural lip line is much smaller.

I know what you mean.  My stepdaughter refers to it as the "she looks like she just ate a chocolate ice cream cone" look!  

I do think that the makeup was a sign of the times, though.  I remember my cousins looking like that - and then going for a more natural look going forward.

Franimal

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2002, 12:36:29 AM »
Mascara I hate, and only wear it for the extreme dressy occassion.  

I hate mascara too, I quit wearing it in the 80's, and I don't miss it! I think it should be more appropriately named messcara.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2002, 02:52:25 AM »
The eye makeup on the women doesn't bother me; but they used WAY too much eyeliner on Jonathan Frid! I realize the intent of "stage" make-up so the features are all clearly visible but when they go in for tight close-ups of Frid and some of the other male actors like Astredo, the eyeliner is far too obvious.

I'd love to know how the makeup person who thought Nicholas Blair's widow's peak needed to be somewhere down around the bridge of HAA's nose ever got through cosmetology school...not to mention the days when the graying sideburns looked a little like a disco sweatband.

In the Barnabas vampire scenes, they really got carried away making him look "undead", and I sometimes think there were days when the makeup crew thought they were filming exclusively under those eerie green-yellow lights...the ghoulish look does play better under those, but too much is god-awful under the ordinary TV lighting.

Theater stage makeup is excessively pronounced because the audience sees it from a distance -- even the "up close" seats are more than a few feet away.  As you say, though, television cameras are right next to the action, and filming close-ups to boot, so while I can see a need for pancake and more pronounced color to offset the bright lights, TV makeup doesn't need to be gobbed on in a caricature.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2002, 04:38:33 AM »
How about Priscella Presley! She didn't look like the same woman after Elvis I agree it is the way it is applied
I love the stuff (Lancome has the best products IMHO that don't  run) but this summer I have given up!
With some many high humidity days it isn't just the age
Connie but i agree Why Bother!

jennifer
How about Tammie Faye now that was a look!
All right Mother Nature We have had enough!Praying for the cool down!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2002, 08:31:12 AM »
How about Tammie Faye now that was a look!

That's all tattoed darling. . .if you don't believe me watch the documentary, The Eyes of Tammy Faye.
Julia99

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2002, 09:50:46 AM »

That's all tattoed darling. . .if you don't believe me watch the documentary, The Eyes of Tammy Faye.

Oh I definetely believe you Julia. I use to work in a doctor's office and you'd be suprised at how many women would come in and tell us that they had this done.  I really couldn't tell the difference as it looked quite natural. But what the heck happened in Tammy Faye's case?  I sure wouldn't recommend her surgeon. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2002, 02:45:26 PM »

I know J99 she Paid money for THAT LOOK! ICK!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2002, 02:48:25 PM »
Oh I definetely believe you Julia. I use to work in a doctor's office and you'd be suprised at how many women would come in and tell us that they had this done.  I really couldn't tell the difference as it looked quite natural. But what the heck happened in Tammy Faye's case?  I sure wouldn't recommend her surgeon. ;)

I know Cassandra but the lengths that women(and Men) will go to in the name of beauty(?) are too much! ;D

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV