Author Topic: When Did Black Eyeliner become pase?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
When Did Black Eyeliner become pase?
« on: August 10, 2002, 07:10:38 PM »
I was watching some MPI videos, the 1995 stuff. .and I hate the extreme closeups that Kaplan would sometimes do but more than that I HATE all the black makeup on Grayson's eyes!  When did the eyeliner go out of fashion!!! Not soon enough. . in 1840 RT and PT storylines, I note the actresses aren't so painted up. . .egads!  I've seen other pieces of  Grayson's fiilm and tv work and her eyes seemed so completely different .. big and round like Bette Davis or Susan Sarandon and now its like they are narrow slits, weighted down by Max Factor!!!!  ::) ::)The picture below isn't the best example but its all i got right now. .

Julia99

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: When Did Black Eyeliner become pase?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2002, 08:07:14 PM »
Well, it was popular in the sixties (especially after Elizabeth Taylor sported it in "Cleopatra").  I guess it must have become pase' in the seventies when the more natural look came into style.   :)
MM

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2002, 09:57:21 PM »
Totally agree with you, RJ. Grayson had wonderful eyes, but they are hidden under all that black gunk.  :(

Unfortunately, I don't think it is entirely outdated now. I have seen pics of G. Paltrow (can't spell her name) and some of the other current young actresses sporting the black stuff surrounding their eyes. And as great as Nancy Barrett looks now, she still seems to wear lots of eye makeup.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2002, 01:24:27 AM »
If you're talking about the liquid liner that formed a definate line, it went out in the seventies. But as someone else said, the black smudged eye pencil is "in" and I love it!

I honestly love Julia's makeup. Vicky could use more, Maggie could use less, Julia's is perfect. Some people just carry it off better, or it suits their nature more. I agree that she looks good in the pic you posted too though.

What I can't understand is why they had to go and paint over Nancy Barrett's eyebrows so unflatteringly. She is looking weird at this point in the series and it gets worse in the future. She was so lovely before that!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2002, 04:19:54 AM »
....When did the eyeliner go out of fashion!!!...

I think the huge eyelashes and gobs of eyeliner look was technically out of style by the time DC started loading up the faces of his actresses with it.  :D

I lived in the SF Bay Area in the late sixties, and the Haight Ashbury hippie look was in.  By the time I was in high school in the early 70's, mascara was still popular, but no one wore fake eyelashes or black eyeliner anymore.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2002, 11:53:25 AM »

What I can't understand is why they had to go and paint over Nancy Barrett's eyebrows so unflatteringly. She is looking weird at this point in the series and it gets worse in the future. She was so lovely before that!

I agree Miss Barrett did have a lovely natural look and it was unfortunate that VL got a little  ::) heavy with the make-up.  He got carried away after doing the werewolf...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2002, 03:04:59 PM »
I think the eyeliner look that is on DS is passe - but please, oh great gods of smoke and mirrors, don't let eyeliner itself go the way of the dinosaur.  I wouldn't carry my trash to the curb without having it on, and I am sure that some other woman of a certain age can relate.

Where did that eye definition I once had go?  How did they get so small and so washed out looking?  And, since I am in question mode, just what in hell happened to my lips?  They used to be there, you could see them in their natural state.  And how about jawline  I used to have one, so who snuck in while I slept and made off with that?

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2002, 04:17:35 PM »
Black eyeliner has never been passe in the world of the theatre.  Perhaps that is why it was used so extensively on DS.  Most of the actors on DS were most experienced on the stage, and their dramatic (sometimes hyper-dramatic) acting style reflected this.  The sometimes baroque makeup(think Barn at his vampiric worst) was taken directly from theatrical cosmetic values. Even though it was technically out of place in the close-up world of tv, it contributed to the overall gothic atmosphere of the show.

Petofi

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2002, 08:05:52 PM »

By the time I was in high school in the early 70's, mascara was still popular, but no one wore fake eyelashes or black eyeliner anymore.

The worst makeup I ever saw in my life was in the 70's. Just look at my school yearbooks!  ::)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2002, 09:16:39 PM »
Black eyeliner and white lipstick...that was quite a combination...Groovy baby! [smokn]

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2002, 09:39:52 PM »
Re: Nancy Barretts eyebrows:  Sometimes it looked as though she didn't have any - I think they should have used a darker shade.   :)

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2002, 10:24:33 PM »
I was watching some MPI videos, the 1995 stuff. .and I hate the extreme closeups that Kaplan would sometimes do but more than that I HATE all the black makeup on Grayson's eyes!  When did the eyeliner go out of fashion!!!

You mean you don't like the fuzzy caterpillar look?  ;)

MrsJ.

Offline ElizabethGrayson

• Junior Poster
  • Would you care to pet my dragon?
    • View Profile
    • Jen's Eclectic Corner...
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2002, 12:26:16 AM »
Hmmmm....it went out? Why didn't I get a memo?  :o

Seriously though, I think it depends on what you're talking about.  I use black eye pencil all the time, slightly smudged on my lower lid.  But I think the kohl thing is out, as are the fake eyelashes that every woman seemed to wear on DS.....the only actress I've read about that wears them today is Kim Catrall....

For the life of me I can't figure out why they did that to Grayson's eyes.  Or Terry Crawford's for that matter...she had gorgeous eyes and put the fake eyelashes from hell on her.  I guess it was just the style of the times.

EG
Always remember you have the knowledge to do what's right, and the power to right what's done.
(Bill Sisler, "Fields of Honor")

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2002, 12:53:12 AM »
Hmmmm....it went out? Why didn't I get a memo?  :o

....the only actress I've read about that wears them today is Kim Catrall....

EG

Not to burst anyone's bubble but most women in the spotlight still wear fake eyelashes and wigs .. .they are just more subtle than they were in the 70s. . .even the hair you think HAS to be theirs will 75% of the time be a wig. . just think of all the tugging, pulling, curling. . .to protect their 'real' hair. . they have to wear wigs.. .just not any for Zsa Zsa or Raquel's collections. ..
Julia99

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2002, 02:46:29 AM »
Re: Nancy Barretts eyebrows:  Sometimes it looked as though she didn't have any - I think they should have used a darker shade.   :)

OK, I know what you mean, but that isn't what I was getting at. In my avatar, they were perfect and that is Nancy at her best. Then they started using a lighter gold brown shade and globbing it around her natural brow like an overgrown, sideways comma. You can see her natural brow through it and I just want to wipe the whole mess off. Similar to todays look of full lips with lipstick, when you can SEE quite well that the natural lip line is much smaller.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton