Author Topic: What's in a Name?  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: What's in a Name?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2002, 12:25:45 AM »

Then again, when I meet new people, I don't instantly demand to know how to spell their names just in case they turn out to be mass murderers from bygone centuries.
ProfStokes

Did you catch this amusing exchange between Professor Stokes and Barnabas, the first time Stokes asked Barnabas "how does she spell her last name?" - and Barnabas looked down at the ground with the hang-dog expression of some little boy who didn't study for his spelling test, and mumbled sadly "I don't know."

Poor Barnabas. Failed the spelling bee again.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2002, 02:55:06 AM »
Wow!  I entered my hubby's name and got:

BARRY ROGET

Should I be afraid?

I'm sorry Midnite, but you have to kill him. After all, he is almost certainly the husband of the MOST EEEE-VILLL woman the world has ever known, and some of it HAD to rub off. You don't want to unleash him on the unsuspecting world do you?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2002, 03:08:50 AM »
Now I admire Professor Stokes's intelligence and appreciate how quickly he's able to solve problems and catch on to the various mysterious goings-on, but in today's episodes, he was just too good to be true.  What put Stokes on to Danielle Roget's trail?  Sure, he's bound to be suspicious of Adam's mystery woman, but where in the world did he get the idea that her name was an anagram?  That one is just too far-fetched for me.  

Then again, when I meet new people, I don't instantly demand to know how to spell their names just in case they turn out to be mass murderers from bygone centuries.

And personally, I think that his solution to discovering her true identity may be just a TAD overstated given the lack of any kind of proof.

When I ran Leona Eltridge thru the amalgram I didn't even get Danielle Roget, though I did get at least two name possibilities: Leonard (I TOLD YOU!) Elegit and Oleander Legit. You don't hear Prof. Stokes saying "I'm telling you, she is really a man!" Nor even, "Oleander? Only someone REALLY named Leonard would use THAT name!"

(For my own real name, I rather liked "Black Neuron" and "Lunar Beckon". I may start going by Lunar any day now!)
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2002, 03:50:47 AM »
Gotta love that portly, sherry swilling Professor anyway.  He would give even Columbo a run for the money!

Hi, Happybat!  Missed you at the Anaheim Fest.  :(

Your thought about the intellectual and enigmatic Prof. Stokes taking on the deceptively hapless Columbo is a brilliant one!  Couldn't you see the two of them competing to be the first to solve the week's mystery?

The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced Thayer David could have pulled off a weekly prime-time DS spin-off -- solving capers of the supernatural with dream intervention strategies, I-Ching wands, time-travel, and ample glasses of sherry.  I think he could have blown Columbo, McCloud, and McMillen & Wife out of the water.  But I wouldn't mind him collaborating with the esteemed Jessica Fletcher -- couldn't you see them toasting to a mystery well solved, as the "Murder, She Wrote" theme music closes the scene?  8)

Ben

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2002, 04:11:46 AM »
Hey gang,

Did you notice the gleam in Prof. Stokes' eyes as he "interviewed" Leona Eltridge? (in Josette's bedroom, no less!)  I thought for a second that Stokes' snazzy red and blue striped bow tie was going to start spinning as the professor feasted his eyes on the sultry Ms. Eltridge.

Wow, what would the members of the parapsychology department at Prof. Stokes' university have to say if they knew that their esteemed department chairman was spending the afternoon with some lovely young woman?  For shame!!!  

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, Collinsport's No. 1 quidnunc.

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2002, 07:15:38 AM »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR   RICH DICK RASH

Hey tripwire...ummm.. about our get together in september... well.. ummmm... something sort of came up... my grandmother died and my moms having surgery and i have to wash my hair and ..ummm.. well... maybe we can reschedule for a later date..ok?  [shckd]

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2002, 08:15:15 AM »

This was interesting. I used my whole name, and came up with over 50 anagrams with Craig in them. I like that! Who would've thought that my name spells out, A CRAIG HERS YENTL LYNN? A Craig Hers hits the nail on the head, but forget yentl Lynn. Where did she come from?!  ?!?
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2002, 08:47:34 AM »
LOL!  I'm glad to hear that people are enjoying the site and I've really enjoyed reading the various anagrams that you've all found.  Thank you for sharing.  :)   My own anagrams are pretty kooky:  :-/

ARMADILLO JUNTA

MATILDA JOURNAL

LAUNDROMAT JAIL  :P

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2002, 12:39:52 PM »
Funny, I just did one on The Reverend Trask and these are what I came up with,  (an interesting bunch)

Rat Dr. Eve Kern  
Nerd Treks Rev
Dark Ernest Rev
Dark Enters Rev
Dna Trek Re Rev
Tsar Dr Eve Kern
Snake Dr Revere
Tavern Dr. Reeks
Snake Dr.Reverts

And last but not least,  "Streak Nerd Rev."
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2002, 05:04:47 PM »

LAUNDROMAT JAIL  :P

ProfStokes

I kinda like this one  for you ProfStokes ;)

(I enjoyed using the toy...Thanks}
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2002, 06:10:17 PM »
Goodness, some of the names that came up for me! I typed in my first and last name and got tons of answers. Some of my favorites:

Hydes Nostril (it's wonderful to know how I am related  to the infamous Dr. Jekyll)

Dines Shortly (I must be a quick eater!)

Lends Historys (a favorite of Barnabas Collins)

Styled Rhinos (great to know how up-to-date those huge mammals are in fashion)

Thanks Prof. Stokes!

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2002, 02:52:33 AM »
;DOh my goodness, I don't know when I've had so much fun!!! I know-------get a life! Anyway, some of my 2000 anagrams were interresting, but not as good as some of those posted:
                  fleabag bar burrs
                  arab garb rub self (huh?)
                  aruba grab lbs ref
                  bear grabs lab fur

still hysterical, Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2002, 04:20:09 PM »
Hi, Happybat!  Missed you at the Anaheim Fest.  :(

Your thought about the intellectual and enigmatic Prof. Stokes taking on the deceptively hapless Columbo is a brilliant one!  Couldn't you see the two of them competing to be the first to solve the week's mystery?

The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced Thayer David could have pulled off a weekly prime-time DS spin-off -- solving capers of the supernatural with dream intervention strategies, I-Ching wands, time-travel, and ample glasses of sherry.  I think he could have blown Columbo, McCloud, and McMillen & Wife out of the water.  Ben

Ben,

Thanks for remembering me!  Yes, I really wish I could have gone to Anaheim, too, but time and finances would not cooperate this year, alas!  But there is always next year in New York.  I have a hunch that GingerCat will want to come, too!

The idea for a Thayer David mystery with a supernatural spin is indeed a fine one.  I can imagine the Professor unsuccessfully trying to persuade the local authorities that the crimes plaguing Collinsport (and maybe spreading much further afield) are supernatural in nature, and then having to crack the cases himself.  The final scene of each case would feature Stokes in his dressing gown, comforably ensconced in his arm chair, sipping his sherry and explaining to the police just how he "dunnit".  And what about a Stokes/Columbo crossover with the same supernatural overtones?    I just finished a (first!) teleplay for a Columbo episode, so the lovable, rumpled Lieutenant has been on my mind a lot lately.  I would like to say that a producer has optioned my script but that's just a warm and fuzzy fantasy and likely to remain so.   :'(
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2002, 01:09:39 AM »
LOLOLOL.
Some of Mine (Patricia Feinberg):
A Cab Fingerer I Tip :o
A Cab Prefer Gin I It ;D
A Cab Free Gin I Trip ;D
A Cab Ferret Pig I In (oyevah)