Author Topic: I wish to nominate.......  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I wish to nominate.......
« on: August 06, 2002, 07:03:06 PM »
....the following phrase:

"I don't like this, Julia....there's something frightening about it".....

as the absolute stupidest line uttered on DS!.....well, this month, at least.

Enough!!  I have had enough of idiotic plots and dialogue.  I know, I know....I'm seeing more of John Karlen at his over-the-top best than ever...but even HE can't save this abomination.

What's wrong with Julia and Barnabas that they're so terrified of Maggie "telling"?  What the hell is she going to TELL!!?   That Barnabas Collins is a Vampire?  Sez who?  Show us the proof!!  He's a normal human being, Sheriff ....no fangs, he's got a pulse, he bleeds when you stick him, and here he is in broad daylight!!

Besides, he's a member of the most important family in town.

Now MAGGIE, on the other hand, has just broken up with her fiancee and watched her father be murdered by a mad man....and she's probably suffering PTS Disorder from the LAST ordeal.  Who's going to listen to her ravings once they establish that Barnabas lives and breathes?  

If Barnabas and Julia swear that Willie hasn't been out of the old house in a week and a half, why would they even believe he dragged Maggie off to the boneyard?

They already have all the plot 'peril' they need with Lover Boy and his "I want a woman" tantrums....why did they need to gum up the works with THIS crap?!!

This storyline is SO pathetic, at this point it would have been kinder to the audience to have admitted it, stopped in mid-act and begun again with the next story line....especially as (if I'm not mistaken) Mr. Q. shows up at last!!

Rainey....who is very cranky today, despite the near perfect cool weather, finally!!!  

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: I wish to nominate.......
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 08:10:21 PM »
I couldn't agree more.  This is past boring!  And it's funny - I don't remember a lot of it from my first viewing days.  Wonder if I got bored back then, too!

I'm counting the days 'til the next story line.  By the way.....how many days is it?! ;D

c'ya!!

Fran

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 09:28:02 PM »
I agree, this storyline is getting sooooooo dragged out.[sleep]  How many times do we have to see Maggie reverting back to the past and remembering what Barnabas did to her? Instead of just a flashback though, we get treated to practically a whole 20 minute story. [sleep] Sometimes I wonder why they stuck different plots into the middle of these storylines, for instance, what was the whole deal with Willie sticking Josette's earrings into Maggie's purse about?[hdscrt]    She acted "strange" after she put them on for one show, and then that was the end of that.  Between this and Liz's "buried alive" thing, I don't know what's worse, but like you Rainey, Im sooo looking forward to the next storyline!! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 10:37:37 PM »
I enjoying watching this storyline, these little twists and turns are as interesting as one wishes to make them I suppose...  for the first time viewer I'm sure they are not yawning.

There is a vampire roaming about remember? Barnabas and Julia have been searching for this mystery Vampire between getting the experiment ready, they do not need Maggie screaming "Vampire" while one is in town now do they?

I'm sure Barnabas will discover who this Vampire is in all due time, he always does.

I think this storyline is fine and dandy...  ;) IMHO that is.

The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2002, 11:23:58 PM »
I was thinking the same thing regarding Maggie. Who would believe her? The only problem is that if she went to the police and told them how she'd been held in a cell in the basement of the Old House, the cops might come sniffing around and find the dead woman lying on the table down in the makeshift laboratory. So on that score, Barnabas is right to be concerned about Maggie flapping her gums. If he didn't have that whole "experiment" thing going on right now he could probably deal with it, but the timing is awful.

I actually enjoyed Maggie getting her memory back and the flashbacks too. They didn't do many flashbacks on this show and I found these very satisfying. I liked that they went back and addressed this whole unsolved mystery thing with Maggie, which had been left open-ended for a year. Unfortunately, the resolution  is unsatisfactory to the extent that they might as well never have brought it up in the first place. It's gone full circle.

I would have liked to see them approach this again at a later date; let Maggie remember, and accuse, and go to the police and start the town talking. Some would take sides with Barnabas, some would side with her. It would make an interesting story, but they really blew it here. Too bad.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 01:05:03 AM »
There is a vampire roaming about remember? Barnabas and Julia have been searching for this mystery Vampire between getting the experiment ready, they do not need Maggie screaming "Vampire" while one is in town now do they?

I'm sure Barnabas will discover who this Vampire is in all due time, he always does.

I think this storyline is fine and dandy...  ;) IMHO that is.

Yes, once they get Angelique back into the storyline things will be far from dull...Interesting how a character is an important ingredient in the scheme of things...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2002, 05:38:50 AM »
I didn't mind the Maggie flash back thing.  Adam is driving me nuts.  It is funny when he is with Carolyn he is tolerable, but when he is with Barney and Julia he is so annoying.  I do give Robert Rodan great credit he does a fine job with the charactor but what they gave him to work with leaves a lot to be desired.  I find myself just wanting to give him a smack across the face.  I never hit anyone.  The whole story of making a mate is just dumb.  Why didn't they work on teaching him how to behave with a woman and than letting him meet an actual woman. I guess we would not have a story.  Hey, they could have told them that love isn't all it is cracked up to be, not a one of them has a "mate".

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2002, 06:28:21 AM »
I dunno, Maggie is so blitheringly idiotic right now, I can't take it. [vryangb] If she'd rather be dead than be hypnotised, fine - go ahead and kill her!

OK, I don't REALLY mean that guys, don't gather the lynching mob....

But, really, she is such a nutcase right now if she bit the head off a live chicken, I wouldn't be too surprised. Yeah, yeah, she's been locked up a while, but she was acting that way from the get go. [dsapg]
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2002, 06:33:27 AM »
 This is past boring!

It gets better soon. My Mom is here, and we watch a tape after we get home from taking my daughter to school in the morning. Also, saw Craig Slocum today. His next episode is a great one. I'm never bored when he's on! I think he should have been a male model.  :-*
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2002, 07:05:42 AM »
I can see why Barnabas and Julia don't want anyone
nosing around The Old House but with the cops in Collinsport i think one can get away with a lot(except for Willie who they haul off without a trial! on Julia's word)but it's always bad when Adam is around.also i didn't like when angelique came back in this storyline IMHO >:(
and this Liz thing is a yawner!

Bring on the Q man!(and Chris J) ;) >:(

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2002, 05:39:15 PM »
I dunno, Maggie is so blitheringly idiotic right now, I can't take it. [vryangb] If she'd rather be dead than be hypnotised, fine - go ahead and kill her!

OK, I don't REALLY mean that guys, don't gather the lynching mob....

But, really, she is such a nutcase right now if she bit the head off a live chicken, I wouldn't be too surprised. Yeah, yeah, she's been locked up a while, but she was acting that way from the get go. [dsapg]

Yes, kuanyin, the transformation from the tough-talking Maggie of 1966 into a blithering, wailing victim-type :'(  by this time is one of the injustices of the DS stories-  

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

When Vicki finally is written out of the show, Maggie becomes the heir apparent to the victim-in-waiting role. Oh, well!

Petofi

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2002, 06:46:31 PM »
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

When Vicki finally is written out of the show, Maggie becomes the heir apparent to the victim-in-waiting role. Oh, well!

but maggie seems to "understand" how to do it better than Vicki!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline abbeymarch

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2002, 05:05:14 AM »
....the following phrase:

What's wrong with Julia and Barnabas that they're so terrified of Maggie "telling"?  What the hell is she going to TELL!!?   That Barnabas Collins is a Vampire?

Dear Ms. RP,
You know, I thought we had stopped watching DS at about this point (it really was bad at this point, just plodding along, re-hashing the same nonsense, day after day), but as I read this, I could hear your voice, clear as day, shouting that into my ear on the 'phone.
At least you are consistent, my friend.
So I guess we hadn't given up on it just yet.
But I don't remember what comes next.
Abbey March  :)