Author Topic: Diana Walker  (Read 4428 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Diana Walker
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2002, 08:47:45 AM »
In the 1795 scene you are referring to it was Dorie Cavanaugh playing Josette in the dream, who had earlier appeared as Phyllis Wick at the seance. I don't know why she was used instead of KLS - she might not have been available that day, or else maybe DC didn't want to pay her for a whole episode when she was only featured in that one dream sequence so he hired the day player again. Cavanaugh evidently wasn't around anymore by the time the 1795 segment was over, since yet another day player was hired to play Phyllis Wick at the end.

Thanks Chris!   Wow, you must have great eyes though, how on earth did you see that?  I've tried in vain to see who that woman was and never had any luck finding out.  Thanks for pointing it out to me. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2002, 04:49:34 PM »
Hey Ringo,

I think that your comments about Diana Walker's one-day replacement of Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard were right on the mark.

However, your candid and subjective comment concerning your preference for Nancy Barrett's gams over Diana Walker's gams left me somewhat perplexed.  Please, let's not give all of these wonderful ladies on the the Dark Shadows Forum web site the impression that we're all rapidly turning into dirty, old men (even if we all really are!).

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who remembers the late, great Jean Shepherd's admonition to always, "think clean thoughts!"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2002, 05:28:33 PM »
However, your candid and subjective comment concerning your preference for Nancy Barrett's gams over Diana Walker's gams left me somewhat perplexed.  Please, let's not give all of these wonderful ladies on the the Dark Shadows Forum web site the impression that we're all rapidly turning into dirty, old men (even if we all really are!).

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who remembers the late, great Jean Shepherd's admonition to always, "think clean thoughts!"

Bob,

Are you coming back to Sunday School? ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2002, 07:03:56 PM »
Please, let's not give all of these wonderful ladies on the the Dark Shadows Forum web site the impression that we're all rapidly turning into dirty, old men (even if we all really are!).

"Turning" into dirty old men? Apparently we have a late bloomer.  ;D

[shadow=black,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2002, 07:56:59 PM »
we're all rapidly turning into dirty, old men (even if we all really are!).

"think clean thoughts!"

Who the hell is OLD? ;D
     [experienced, insightful, wisened, well braced, maybe, but old?????]

and I thought the quote was from Carol Channing!! :-X ?!?

Hey! Mark said 'Bloomer' :o

---

if there were any that were actually offended,,,,,, sorry, a little....... but I haven't made ONE comment about the Catholic Youth Conference happening this weekend, now have I????
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2002, 02:22:28 AM »
Nancy Barrett WAS Carolyn Stoddard.  Ms. Walker was competent, but there were just too many key scenes that were intepreted very differently from what NB would have done with them.  Nancy Barrett was apparently ill and this was a necessary change.  I just wish she wasn't in every single scene of this show!

Love, Robin  

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2002, 06:48:16 AM »
Wasn't overly wild about Walker, but given the situation, I don't know what else we could have expected of her.  We all have a preconceived conception of Carolyn.  Walker was on for one episode (so like 20 minutes), presumably at short notice.

It usually takes time for a replacement to shine/be accepted by the audience, unless the one they're replacing is so bad (James Hall comes to mind) that anything is a relief.

Plus she had to wear that horrid, awful, evil, scary, bad dress ;)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Connie

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2002, 07:09:32 AM »
Please, let's not give all of these wonderful ladies on the the Dark Shadows Forum web site the impression that we're all rapidly turning into dirty, old men (even if we all really are!).

Sincerely,

Well, I think it's interesting hearing a male perspective concerning the women on the show and their characters - what's appealing, what isn't, etc.

-CLC

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2002, 05:59:20 AM »
Diana Walker filled in for Nancy Barrett as a temopraelly replacement on episode #578 that aired on 9/11/1968 on ABC-TV at 4:00pmEDT/3:00pmCDT and also Diana Walker also appeared in "As The World Turns".

The subsitute was good and I like Nancy Barrett as the better Carolyn Stoddard. My suggestion is to watch "The Brady Bunch Hour" and it has a different actress playing Jan Brady.

Yes, there was an episode of The Simpsons where they kind of lampooned the Brady Bunch Hour when they did a Simpsons "TV Special" and had someone else as Lisa and Homer says, "No one will notice". I wasn't crazy about Diana Walker as Carolyn, but it was common back in the '60's to have someone completely different fill in for an actress when they were out. Think of Joan Crawford's filling in for Christina.
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2002, 08:43:24 AM »

Think of Joan Crawford's filling in for Christina.

Now that is something I sure wished I had seen!!  ::)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2002, 12:31:58 AM »
Barnabas wrote:
>> Think of Joan Crawford's filling in for Christina. <<

Now that is something I sure wished I had seen!!  ::)

I don't know if any film clips of her standin role in Secret Storm exist, but you might want to check out the Joan Crawford documentary about her life that debuts on TCM this Thursday.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2002, 03:00:12 AM »

Thanks Chris!   Wow, you must have great eyes though, how on earth did you see that?  I've tried in vain to see who that woman was and never had any luck finding out.  Thanks for pointing it out to me. :)

Not eyes - ears. I had watched the seance episode on tape just prior to seeing that dream episode early in the 1795 story line and the voice is unmistakably the same woman who played Phyllis Wick.

Offline mfmdpt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2002, 06:15:56 AM »
Whatever we might think of Ms. Walker's performance as Carolyn (and I don't think much of it :() I always like to point out that after DS, she played one of the lead ingenues on a short lived soap called Where the Heart Is. While appearing on that soap, she even appeared on the cover of AfterNoon TV, which is something only three DS actors ever did while they were on DS. (Jonathan Frid and Alexandra Moltke were on the cover of the premiere issue, and Jonathan Frid and Lara Parker were on the cover of the December 1968 issue. Surprisingly, they never featured David Selby).

For anyone who's interested, I just posted Diana Walker's cover in the archive on the Miscellaneous board. :)
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2002, 08:29:19 AM »

I don't know if any film clips of her standin role in Secret Storm exist, but you might want to check out the Joan Crawford documentary about her life that debuts on TCM this Thursday.

Thanks Midnite! I'll have to check it out. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2002, 10:48:05 PM »
Dear VAM,

Lord knows, I really should go back to Sunday School!

You know, while some kids were big fans of "Hammering" Hank Aaron of the Atlanta Braves, and other kids were fans of Neil Armstrong's exploits as an Apollo astronaut, I was the kind of kid whose personal hero was Arte Johnson's character, "The Dirty Old Man," on "Laugh In."

Who could forget the "Dirty Old Man's" polished park bench pick-up lines to Ruth Buzzi's frumpy, "Plain Jane" (with that awful fishnet stocking over her head): "You look particularly ravishing today, my dear."  To which Ms. Buzzi "responded" with a well-placed shot to the "Dirty Old Man's" head/homburg with her half dollar-laden pocket book.  Bang!!!  

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who wishes that Bathia Mapes would "sock it to me!"

PS Hey Ringo, how about the alternative expression, "Seasoned Veteran"?