Author Topic: Meanwhile, at the Old House...  (Read 4664 times)

Offline CandleLighter

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile, at the Old House...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2002, 07:05:26 AM »
LOL that was  truly funny   ;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2002, 07:39:10 AM »
I loved it too, scout75!  Very funny!!

I'm not trying to discourage you from putting a humorous twist on another DS scene, but I need to ask that you pleeeease not make this one an ongoing scenario.  I overlook the no fanfic rule for brief scenes like this because they're so darn much fun, but I can't if they're longer stories and especially if they have multiple parts.  I hope you understand.  Hopefully someday these forums will offer a fan fic board, but it's not yet possible.

Yet you're obviously very talented, and if you decide to continue this or any other funny scene or to try your hand at writing a humorous short story, I highly recommend the SciFi DS Lighter Side message board, and links to anyone's offsite stories are always encouraged.

Thanks!

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2002, 07:46:59 AM »
I need to ask that you pleeeease not make this one an ongoing scenario.  I overlook the no fanfic rule for brief scenes like this because they're so darn much fun, but I can't if they're longer stories and especially if they have multiple parts.

Believe me, this is not an ongoing scenario; nor do I believe anything this goofy could ever be mistaken for "fanfic". I have no intention of doing "longer stories" or anything with multiple parts. It is simply my way of commenting on a particular episode and is meant for no other purpose.

Sorry for any problems this may have caused for whatever reason.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2002, 07:57:59 AM »
Love the up-to-the-minute references to Roger Davis and our very own ProfStokes (who should be flattered to be mentioned)

Believe me, Ben, I surely am.  Thanks again, scout75!  :D

You should write a sketch that a bunch of us on this board can perform (and steal the show with) at next year's Fest.

Will ya, please, will ya??

I second the motion!

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2002, 09:42:53 AM »
Scout75, believe me, you didn't cause any problem!  I just wanted to be up front in case you decided to add on to it.  And please don't sell yourself short-- there are some wonderful multi-chapter stories on that SciFi LSB that are as hysterical as yours.  Thanks for your response!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2002, 10:58:04 AM »

Tee-hee...Scout74.

My evil twin...or is he the good one?

Oops! Sorry Scout75! Now I know I've been on here way too long!!  lol!!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2002, 02:54:04 AM »
You should write a sketch that a bunch of us on this board can perform (and steal the show with) at next year's Fest.

Will ya, please, will ya??
Ben

Ben:

I'd love to write a sketch for board members to perform next year--especially since I plan to be there in NYC for all the fun; I'm sure we can come up with a winner. We'll have a ball at the Fest!

However, I want to clarify to The Powers That Be that I am in no way trying to post "fan fiction" on this site; occasionally, I do find a scene in an episode that strikes my fancy enough that I want to comment on it by writing a parody--it is, at times, my chosen form of expression--nothing more, nothing less... :)
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2002, 03:11:55 AM »
Oh, Scout 75.....could I PULEEEEZE play the role of Mrs. Johnson, after Julia mistakenly injects her with sodium pentathol, instead of a sedative....loudly expressing every opinion and rude comment she ever wanted to make about the Collins tribe.....Gawd, wouldn't that be fun??!!  

Oh, wait.....I can't act.  Oh well.....it was a thought...never mind!!

Raineypark  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2002, 03:31:21 AM »
(C)ould I PULEEEEZE play the role of Mrs. Johnson, after Julia mistakenly injects her with sodium pentathol, instead of a sedative....loudly expressing every opinion and rude comment she ever wanted to make about the Collins tribe.....Gawd, wouldn't that be fun??!!

That's a hilarious, excellent idea!

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2002, 04:01:01 AM »
Scout! This was so hilarious!
I hope you do write a skit to be presented at next
year's DS fest. One way or another I have to be there to see that :D
And I do hope Raineypark is playing the role that
was suggested of Mrs. Johnson! What a hoot that would be! ;D

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2002, 04:03:48 AM »
Why thank you!

Well, then by all means feel free to use it.  

Too bad Johnny K. doesn't live in NY any more....I could have asked for acting lessons!......Bwahahahaha [lghy]

Rainey....who wonders how we'd rehearse this great idea since we all live all over the freakin' country!!?? [hdscrt]

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2002, 04:26:19 AM »
Rainey....who wonders how we'd rehearse this great idea since we all live all over the freakin' country!!?? [hdscrt]

Funny you mention that, since I was wondering that myself--but then I thought that we'd be no less prepared that the actual cast was most days... ;)

Actually, I figure everyone could learn the skit beforehand at home and we'd run through it together as many times as we possibly could before showtime. It's not like it would be anything too complicated.

And anyone who has ever watched the show knows the blocking: a lot of standing downstage, not facing the other actor.

Of course, we do have a whole year to worry about this... :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2002, 04:48:57 AM »
Scout 75, I've been 'considering' going to the Fest in 2003 (it would be my first) but I think you just made my mind up for me.

I think a year would be just enough time for us to psych ourselves into the right frame of mind to carry this off!!!

You are going to be SOOOOOOO sorry when every 'cousin' on this board starts begging you for a role!!!

Rainey
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2002, 05:22:32 AM »
You are going to be SOOOOOOO sorry when every 'cousin' on this board starts begging you for a role!!!

You're probably right on that one, Rainey, but hey--it'll be big, big fun!  ;D

kuanyin:

I'm glad this silliness could provide you with a serious thought.

By the way, I've always heard that Kansas City is filled "crazy little women"--or so said Wilbert Harrison in 1959. Any truth to those rumors...?  ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT:  Fan Fiction
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2002, 12:25:58 AM »
However, I want to clarify to The Powers That Be that I am in no way trying to post "fan fiction" on this site; occasionally, I do find a scene in an episode that strikes my fancy enough that I want to comment on it by writing a parody--it is, at times, my chosen form of expression--nothing more, nothing less... :)

What might be bothering you about my comments, which btw were never an attempt to make you feel that I was coming down on you, appears to be a misconception that a parody or scene isn't fanfic.  I'm not trying to argue or get the last word-- my interest now is only to clear that up for you or anyone else that may be confused on this point, and I'm including outside links so that you don't think this is merely personal opinion.

The definition of fan fiction varies-- ask 10 people or check 10 sources and you'll get 10 different answers-- but the commonalities you'll find are that it's an original work by fans that's based on a show, movie, book, or video game, using characters (and anything else borrowed) that were created by someone else.  Fanfic is not, however, limited to prose.  OutsidetheLines' Guide to Fan Fiction Writing http://outsidetl.tripod.com/guide.html says, "Fan Fiction is not limited to pen & paper, [and] it isn't limited to stories either.  Just as there is so many ways to write there is many types of writing."  At the same site, it's stated that fanfic can be a very short story, an epic, can be posted 1 or 2 chapters at a time or be a series in the making, and it can be a poem, a love song, an opera, a ballet, a rock classic.

From an FF FAQ at http://www.loony-archivist.com/ptcarchive/faql.html

"What is fan fiction?
Fan Fiction is fiction based on a television series, written by fans.  Fanfic-- by and large-- is not scripts but prose.  While some have chosen to write their fanfic in teleplay form, those are few and far between.   Pieces range in length from vignettes to short stories to full blown novels.  There has been fanfic in media fandom for decades ... circulated through the post, and more commonly in "fanzines"-- not-for-profit anthologies of short stories, poems, novellas, and novels usually accompanied by fan artwork, published by fans and sold through the post at at conventions..."

I'm only a moderator, and not the only one, and my role is to enforce the guidelines.  But just as I make allowances for role playing as long as it's not ongoing, I enforce the no fanfic rule loosely in that I don't mess with short works including original prose, scenes, poems, songs, etc., and my reasons are that they're fun, they inspire discussion, and I can take on reading them, which brings us to the purpose for the no fanfic rule-- I can't possibly donate the time required to moderate longer works; the rule against fan fic will be removed from the guidelines when I have a lot more help.  This has been a general discussion forum since the original incarnation of these boards in 1998, and since then we (MB, Dom, and I) have insured that anything posted on the forums doesn't violate any other poster's rights (and please don't think that ff isn't capable of doing that), and therefore everything posted on these boards gets read by a moderator in a timely fashion.  Links to ff, however, are different, as we're not able to read it in a timely manner and therefore only check to see if the links are correct, but it's always been our policy that the content of links is the responsibility of the outside site's webmaster anyway.

In the past, short scenes or prose have been removed when they become multiple parts, but after an incident several years ago in which a poster was quite upset to find his work deleted from the board and returned with a polite explanation, I've found that it's best to communicate up front rather than wait until someone has done the work and then gets a shock upon learning it has been removed.  I also communicate my policy about ff from time to time because I do receive messages inquiring why one work was allowed to remain on the board but not another.

All I was trying to do in this thread was communicate that policy to you, and it's not my intention to discourage you from writing and posting more parodies.  I apologize for being so long winded today-- I'm usually not, and I'm sorry if you were upset by any of my comments.  Thanks.