Author Topic: Favorite/Lease Favorite Names on DS?  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Favorite/Lease Favorite Names on DS?
« on: July 04, 2002, 12:15:16 AM »
What is your favorite and least favorite name on Dark Shadows, for a boy or a girl?

My favorite male name is Quentin. My favorite female name is Josette - I think that's a very pretty name. I have a cousin name Joette but I think Josette is prettier. There's the added advantage that if the girl turns out to be a "tomboy" she can go by the nickname "Jo."

I think my least favorite male name is Bramwell - it always makes me think of a new cookie by Nabisco. "Try our new Bramwells." My lease favorite female name is Roxanne. The name sounds somehow lurid to me, I don't know why. (No offense to anyone named Roxanne!)

What are yours?

-Chris (who recently changed his posting name to Dr. Eric Lang because he thought Chris_2 was boring.)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Favorite/Lease Favorite Names on DS?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 01:39:53 AM »

Here's my picks!

Favorite Male Name - Noah  ;)
Favorite Female Name - Millicent  :)
Least Favorite Male Name - Ezra  :(
Least Favorite Female Name - Bathia  :(
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 01:50:16 AM »
I think my least favorite male name is Bramwell - it always makes me think of a new cookie by Nabisco. "Try our new Bramwells."

LOL! How true!

My least favorite female name is Roxanne. The name sounds somehow lurid to me, I don't know why.

Maybe you associate Roxanne with the Police song by the same name, which is about a hooker... ?!?

It's fortuitous that this subject has come up.  I found out last week that I'm about to be an uncle for the very first time and just yesterday I think I sold my little sister on the name "Grayson" for either a boy or a girl.  She really liked the way it sounded with her married surname and put in on the very short list of names for consideration.   ;D
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 03:00:09 AM »
Hmmm . . . well, my choices have nothing to do with the characters and anyone with these names, please don't take offense :)

Favorite Male Name: Richard (as in Richard Garner)
Favorite Female Name(s): tie between Sarah and Edith

Probable reasons for the above?  I like classic names.  Always have.

Least Favorite Male Name(s): tie between Aristede and Garth
Least Favorite Female Name: Roxanne

Probable reasons for the above? Garth makes me think of country music, and it's just I dunno, don't like it, that's all.  Aristede . . . I don't like the long "e" sound on the end and it just kind of sounds vaguely cheesy.  Roxanne.  Again apologies to people with this name and to Cyrano fans, but it just sounds kind of trashy to me.  But that's me, and I'm not one to talk, because I can't stand my own name (and why my parents couldn't have picked something better than what they did I don't know 8) ).

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2002, 03:22:09 AM »

Maybe you associate Roxanne with the Police song by the same name, which is about a hooker... ?!?

I'd forgotten about that song - yes that's probably it. Also, my mother told me when she was pregnant my father wanted to name me Roxanne if I was a girl!!!:P

It's fortuitous that this subject has come up.  I found out last week that I'm about to be an uncle for the very first time and just yesterday I think I sold my little sister on the name "Grayson" for either a boy or a girl.  She really liked the way it sounded with her married surname and put in on the very short list of names for consideration.   ;D

Grayson would make a cool name! Nice job suggesting it!

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2002, 03:23:59 AM »

Good observation - I don't have any particular problem with the name, but I think I might have been making that connection.

My names: I always thought Cassandra was a pretty name, no reason why.  Burke Devlin is probably my least favorite name.  To me it just sounds like cliche personified, especially when you look at Mitch Ryan.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2002, 03:25:18 AM »

Favorite Female Name(s): tie between Sarah and Edith

I worked with a woman who had two daughters while I knew her and she named them Sarah and Edith! I guess she liked old-fashioned names too. Or "Classic" if you prefer.

Probable reasons for the above? Garth makes me think of country music, and it's just I dunno, don't like it, that's all.  Aristede . . . I don't like the long "e" sound on the end and it just kind of sounds vaguely cheesy.  Roxanne.  Again apologies to people with this name and to Cyrano fans, but it just sounds kind of trashy to me.  But that's me, and I'm not one to talk, because I can't stand my own name (and why my parents couldn't have picked something better than what they did I don't know 8) ).

I can't stand my name either. I'd have it legally changed if it didn't cost so much and wasn't such a hassle! And I guess we share the same feelings about the name "Roxanne!"
 :D

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2002, 03:27:23 AM »

Favorite Male Name - Noah  ;)(

Now there's a shocker!!!! What, not Harry?
;D And you might like "Ezra" better if Craig Slocum had played that part in 1897 instead of the actor who replaced him. Or maybe not? ?!?

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2002, 03:31:26 AM »

My names: I always thought Cassandra was a pretty name, no reason why.  

I like the name "Cassandra" but I can't stand the inevitable nickname "Cass" (though no one ever dared try to call Cassangelique that!). An interesting side note - in the original script for the pilot of "Bewitched" Samantha's name was "Cassandra." Elizabeth Montgomery also hated the idea of "Cass" and she suggested the change to "Samantha" or "Sam" for short.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2002, 04:19:07 AM »
Hmm tough choice. I'll go with least favorites first because those are easier for me to do.

Least Favorite Male Name: Garth. It reminds me of Garth Gimbel from Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman played by Martin Mull...and his twin brother Barth from Fernwood/America 2Night. Also Garth Brooks and Darth Vader...

Least Favorite Female Name: Bathia....that mother who named Bathia Mapes must've been fashion concious cause her ugly first name matchs her odd last name.

Now to the favorites...

Favorite Male Name: Hmm Tough...one of my favorites is Burke. That reminds me of Hazel Burke from Hazel and Amos Burke from Burke's Law... [Hehe I like classic TV  ;)]

Favorite Female Name: I like Carolyn. It seemes 'different' to me LOL Because I'm used to Caroline instead of Carolyn. Angelique and Josette are also pretty. Daphne also ranks high on my favorite names list.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2002, 04:51:49 AM »

Now there's a shocker!!!! What, not Harry?
;D And you might like "Ezra" better if Craig Slocum had played that part in 1897 instead of the actor who replaced him. Or maybe not? ?!?

I'm just not crazy about the name "Harry".  It's actually a nickname. It reminds me of Harold too much, the name it derived from. No, I still wouldn't like "Ezra" better even if Craig Slocum had played the role, I find the name unappealing.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Names on DS?
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2002, 05:11:38 AM »
I'm just not crazy about the name "Harry".  It's actually a nickname. It reminds me of Harold too much, the name it derived from.

It can also be a diminutive for Henry.  Or a name, in and of itself, (e.g. Harry S Truman).

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2002, 07:29:03 AM »
Well, my younger son is named Gabriel, so that is obviously way up there for me! When I was younger, I swooned over the name Quentin (as well as the actor playing him), but now it sounds rather affected to me. My least favorite male names? A tie between Bruno and Jeb.

There are many female names I truly love, Beth, Elizabeth, Abigail... I think Angelique has such a melodious sound. My personal favorite would be Naomi, though, it is a name I very well might have chosen for a girl.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2002, 07:43:15 AM »
worst male name...i would have to think barnabas would get my vote, i wouldnt want it , whew, the ribbing you would take in school   :o  close second  jebes

worst female name...tie between daphne and bathia

best male name...whoever said in previous post richard  ;) my given name, but go by rick

best female name...i always liked the name victoria..  
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2002, 08:00:41 AM »
I have always liked the name Sabrina.It's really Pretty to me.For male it would be Morgan...that's one i always favored too.

Worst names....hmmm...hard one......definitely Ezra for male.and Female...Bathia. ::)

Adra

P.S....Does anyone think Sabrina was pretty?or Morgan handsome?
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!