Author Topic: Festival  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Festival
« on: September 01, 2003, 09:17:51 PM »
I was at the festival Friday and Saturday and while it was nice, there really wasn't anything new to add to it.  The Collinsport Players did a nice skit on Saturday afternoon.

I picked up The Leviathan Concordance and Barnabas and Company by Craig Hamrick.   I briefly spoke to him and met Bob Issel and got their pictures.  I got some pictures of the actors and fans.  If I knew how to post them here I would.

Unfortunately I didn't meet any other fans.

Joey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Festival
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 10:58:31 PM »
I got some pictures of the actors and fans.  If I knew how to post them here I would.

If they're already digital or if you have a scanner, it's quite easy to post them here - even if you don't have your own Web space. Just IM me if you'd like instructions. :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 12:41:42 AM »
I picked up The Leviathan Concordance

[hello] [hello] [hello]

Thanks, Joey!  And welcome back.  :D

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 01:36:59 AM »
I was at the Fest Fri night, Sat and Sunday evening. .got to see Bobubas, Claude North (superyeah!), Prof Stokes, Cassandra, Connie and a few others. .sorry i forget names unless i'm told 3 times. . .The Fri night bar scene was a blast, so was my guided Grayson's NYC Tour 2003 but the banquet was a complete
B. U.S.T.  2 hours of waiting for rubber chicken. . the food last year spoiled me, it was GOOD!  And if it hasn't been mentioned here before. . .Pierson, put on the spot (I think anyway  :o by KLS and RD) said there would be more events, this was NOT the last event. . .

J99 reporting in
Julia99

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 02:33:58 AM »
.The Fri night bar scene was a blast, so was my guided Grayson's NYC Tour 2003

J99 didn't mntion that she actually did her Grayson tour twice, as some of us could not make the original tour. We combined it with a very moving stop at the WTC site. I really felt I needed to see it, as I have such wonderful/painful memories of the 2001 Fest at the WTC Marriott just three weeks before 9/11.  It did bring tears to my eyes to see the site but was very glad to have done so. J99's wonderful tour immediately afterward made for a very memorable Sunday. Too bad, the banquet debacle had to spoil what was otherwise a perfect day.

Thanks again, J99.
Life works if you let it

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 03:46:39 AM »
See Bette. . i knew your new moniker mentioned one of the boys! And you're most welcome. ..you're a true gem.
Julia99

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 04:06:55 AM »
So how was the dramatic performance and the dealers room?

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 05:49:34 AM »
I managed to make it to the Fest on Sunday, although I did not get to spend nearly as much time as I had hoped.  Of course, I tried to fit in the Fest and some sightseeing, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, I arrived back at the hotel just in time to wait in line for RETURN TO COLLINWOOD.  To my very pleasurable surprise, I found myself practically standing next to Julia99, Bette, and Nancybe!  Such a treat to connect with some of my fellow posters and Grayson fans!

Overall, I really enjoyed RTC.  The script struck the right balance between comedy and drama.  I must confess that I was moved by the ending, and the entire production.  The actors' willingness to participate indicates that they still have a good deal of affection for DS. Such a refreshing attitude in this era of irony and hipper-than-thou smugness.

I'm hoping that this isn't the end of the Fests as they currently exist.  The actors seem to enjoy them, and obviously the fans do as well.  I certainly can understand that after 20 years, the organizers are tired of putting these things together.  Perhaps they could recruit new people to take over, or hire a professional event planner to handle the details.  Granted, hiring someone would increase the costs, but I suspect that many fans wouldn't mind spending a few extra dollars for registration in order to keep the Fests going.

Anyway, I had a great time, and hope to have more such opportunities in the future.

Regards,

John

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 05:27:13 PM »
was there any beefed up security? did u have to walk through metal detectors? i doubt it. was kurt webber there screaming at kathryn or david? interesting that the main complaint at last years fest was the banquet being ruined by the showing of the sciography thing and this years banquet ruined by the food. i guess there wont be a banquet during the future 1-day events?

Nancy

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 06:28:23 PM »
was there any beefed up security? did u have to walk through metal detectors? i doubt it. was kurt webber there screaming at kathryn or david? interesting that the main complaint at last years fest was the banquet being ruined by the showing of the sciography thing and this years banquet ruined by the food. i guess there wont be a banquet during the future 1-day events?

Kurt Webber was there and there were no incidents that I heard about.  There were people removed by security who did not behave themselves.

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2003, 06:31:54 PM »
So how was the dramatic performance and the dealers room?

I didn't see any of the dramatic performances but the dealer's room was hopping.  There were several rooms for vendors this year.  My principal purpose for being there was to sit with a friend of mine who was selling off his DS collection.  He did very well as did other vendors -- the best they had done in years at the fests.

Jim Pierson said at some point that next year's event would be in Tarrytown.  Many people have in the past requested that so I guess that's happening now.

Nancy

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 09:03:56 PM »
 :D I was at the Fest on Sat. and Sun. My favorite part was the "Return to Collinwood" radio-format show. It was superb. Meeting the stars was, of course, exciting since I've never been to a Fest before. I also enjoyed the Q&A session and the costume Party was fascinating. I agree that the banquet was horrible. Another thing on my "never again" list. I was happy to hear there will be more Fests, although they will be somewhat altered. Some fans seemed to think 2-day fests are next. I don't know if I met any of you folks, but the fans I did talk too couldn't have been nicer.                                     
                                                         Misty  ;D
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline brocman / BrocBaby / gaypowerpointguru

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
    • All about me
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2003, 09:22:19 PM »
I'll do a full report later, but just to add my two cents here:

Fantastic job on Return to Collinwood.  Both the writing and activing.  This will be available on videotape and should be well worth whatever price they come up with.

I had never seen the Costume Gala before.  This was excellent.  And Marcy Robin (Shadowgram) deserves an award for Best Hostess.  I've never seen anyone more dedicated to making sure that the fans have a great time.

The fan videos were fantastic.  I can't believe we didn't sell out on copies.  If anybody was there and doesn't know who I am -- I was usally wearing a black t-shirt and blue jeans, sometimes with a grey suitcoat.  I was often at the dealer's table filling in for Bobubas who was very busy socializing (pictures to be posted later  ;D ).

Special thanks to Nancy K and Bob I for everything they did for me at the fest.  It was great being on your team.  Looking forward to our next adventure, wherever it may be.

Will detail later.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2003, 12:04:37 AM »
I got home late yesterday and was exhausted even after a good 9 hours sleep last night.
I am kind of a newbie to fest ( 3 now under my belt) but I think I enjoyed this one the best but I credit some of that to the company I kept most of the weekend with many wonderful friends. Tarrytown sounds like a great place for a weekend fest retreat next year.
As far as the banquet, my piece of chicken was pretty good but I did not care of the pasta? or veggies. I think the dessert was good because I remember eating all of it but cannot remember for the life of me what is what I ate. After waiting in line for the banquet for what seemed like forever, it was nice just to sit down and eat. I barely ate all day in anticipation of my $60 dinner. When I was leaving the hotel Monday, I was talking to a gentleman who worked at the hotel and he said the dinner we had was what the hotel served at all their banquet/weddings. Renee and I splurged on dessert everyday around lunch along with a few glasses of wine here and there. ;)
I loved the skit that Profstokes was in with the Collinsport Players who are such a talented troupe. She fits in well with them and it is a joy to watch her shine among the others. Richard Halpern does a great Julia as well as a good job moving the fest along.
Renee, Profstokes and I visited Times Square Thurs evening after having dinner with a few others from the board. I think there were about 13 of us. Of course another highlight was visiting with my dear friend Minja who is a ball of energy to say the least.  [lghy] I don't know where she gets it but I love her for it.
I hope to get photos developed soon and passed on to the board.
Teresa
PS- I missed my Bruce show for this fest and when I read his message board to see what songs I missed I got a lump in my throat. He did some songs I've been waiting to hear a long time. But still I have no regrets and only happy memories

" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2003, 01:55:22 AM »
 8)
I was able to attend the festival all 3 days.  This was my 3rd. festival and  I enjoyed it.  I was happy to see so many actors at the festival, often there are cancellations, but I think all of the actors that were advertised as being there were there.  Even though I didn't get pictures or autographs with  Lisa Richards or Nancy Barrett it was good to see them at the reunion or performance.   Actually, I passed on many autographs/pictures this year, the lines were just too long!  But I must say the actors are fantastic about signing all the autographs and a number of times I saw Jim Pierson trying to expediate the autograph line.

I am amazed at the time these actors spend at their tables signing autographs.  Katheryn Leigh Scott, Jim Storm, Chris Pennock, Marie Wallace, Diana Millay and even Terryanne Crawford seemed to spend all the free time they had at their autograph tables.  John Karlen, Lara Parker and David Selby also put their time in at the autograph table.  If you think about that time plus the time they spend on stage, and rehearsing for the radio show, then doing the radio show which took about 2 hours.  They really didn't have much free time and this was their holiday weekend too!  I'm just glad they care enough about DS to continue to promote the show through the festivals 35 years later.

I also always enjoy the dealer rooms!  I always find many fun DS items to buy.  One of the coolest items I bought besides my charms of various DS characters, was a few hand painted pictures of Barnabas that I was told an 82 year old woman painted.  I thought they were great!  And the prices were  very realistic too.

HobbiesDS
HobbiesDS