Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0340  (Read 1440 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0340
« on: July 15, 2007, 06:20:50 AM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0340
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 08:17:32 AM »
This was a fantastic episode.   You can just feel the emotion just coming off the screen.  We all know what is going to happen but we also don't want it to happen.  Julia doesn't want to kill Dave.  Dave is pushing both of them to do someting that shouldn't be done. Dave had already  signed his death warrant with Barnabas, but if he had gone along with Julia he could have lived. I wonder how things would have turned out.

Somethimes I wonder how Julia could  have  ever  forgiven Barnabas at all for what he made her do. I wonder what drove Julia more , the experiment or the fact that she cared  for Barnabas.  Though right now she probobly wanted to kill  him herself.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:05:57 AM »
As I drove home from work, I thought to myself: "Great Dark Shadows episode coming up!"  And it was even better than I remembered.  Peter Turgeon did a fine job of portraying Dr. Woodard's horror at what he learned from Julia's notes.

And Grayson Hall sure earned her keep.  I had forgotten how much Julia dragged her feet about killing Dr. Woodard, and how Barnabas kept pulling and pushing her along.

Was this the first time that Barnabas was ever shown in the act of appearing?  As the bat was chirping away and Dr. Woodard stood there, I thought to myself that he could have managed a phone call in the time it took for Barnabas to appear - but I can't blame him for being unable to pull himself together enough to do so.

Dave had already  signed his death warrant with Barnabas, but if he had gone along with Julia he could have lived.
I'm not so sure about that.  Barnabas was on the point of strangling Julia umpteen times, despite the fact that Julia was totally committed to her great experiment.  I don't think he would have trusted Dr. Woodard enough to let him stay alive, even if Woodard had agreed to cooperate with the experiment.

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:27:25 AM »
I would have felt a lot worse about the death of Dr. Woodard if it were R. Gerringer platying the part. Somehow, I couldn't be devastated with Turgeon. Don't misunderstand, I hated the fact that Woodard had to die at all; but I felt more in sync with the Gerringer Woodard.  :'(
                                                            Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:14:26 AM »
I would have felt a lot worse about the death of Dr. Woodard if it were R. Gerringer platying the part. Somehow, I couldn't be devastated with Turgeon. Don't misunderstand, I hated the fact that Woodard had to die at all; but I felt more in sync with the Gerringer Woodard.  :'(

I totally agree. I never approved of Woodard's murder either regardless of who was playing him, but I just could never warm up to Peter Turgeon either. I am glad some on here are able to appreciate him. But I just can't. :-

I also don't think Barnabas would have spared Woodard even if Woodard had pretended to go along with him....Barnabas always knows when someone is lying. He would have known Woodard would have said anything to save his neck.... :P

Great episode nevertheless.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:15:53 AM »
In some parts of this episode I thought that Julia was trying to protect Dr. Woodard, then at other times, it seemed all that mattered to her was the experiments and her desire to not be found out.

When Julia is Telling Dr. Woodard that Barnabas will kill him if he refuses to keep what he knows to himself, she sounds very cold. Perhaps she's trying to distance herself from the situation?
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:53:44 AM »
There was an ominous sense of foreboding in this episode.  [shkdg] We all know what will happen to Dr. Woodard.  I agree that it's hard to feel as much about PT's portrayal of him. [sadg] However, I think he did an excellent job! [thumb]

I agree that Julia's attempt at helping Dr. Woodard is for naught.  Barnabas was determined to kill him for self-preservation.  Dr. Woodard was one of the good guys; it truly is a shame that he has to die. [bawl]

I noticed a shadow of the overhead microphone on the wall in Dr. Woodard's office when Sam was there. [winkg]  Another blooper!  It sure was hard to hide them sometimes! [cheesyg]

Great episode! [cheer]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 02:32:23 PM »
I wonder if Woodard would have been killed off at all if Gerringer had still been playing the role.

Nancy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 07:10:48 PM »
The Robservations captures for this episode have finally been posted.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 12:10:07 AM »
i'm afraid that once dr.woodard learned barnabas' secret his days were numbered.i don't think the change in actor was a deciding factor.

what i always think is more interesting is what would have happened to the burke devlin character had mitch ryan not left the show abruptly.as the show's original male lead one can assume he had a long term contract.when he left he was replaced by anthony george who only signed on for six months.but if mr.ryan hadn't exited his contract what would have become of burke?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 02:06:20 AM »
When Julia is Telling Dr. Woodard that Barnabas will kill him if he refuses to keep what he knows to himself, she sounds very cold. Perhaps she's trying to distance herself from the situation?
I love Grayson Hall's reading of that line - "He'll kill you."  Julia doesn't sound cold to me.  She sounds completely convinced of what she's saying - too convinced to be able to waste any energy on melodrama.