Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0335  (Read 2178 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0335
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:22:40 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0335
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:08:17 PM »
good show. David was great. I don't like Dr Fisher, or his viewpoint, The Mother complex.  I wonder if the show would have been a spookey if it was in color.  I wonder why Woodard,  (not the best actor for the job, but what do you get when you have a strike), didn't voice his views before he went to check the mausoleum.  Maybe he didn't want to be made fun of.  This was a good Friday Cliffhanger.

I guess Barnabas was the one that held the door. (By the way i liked Lydia comment about the glue, on 334)  The shows get better and better from here and Dr Woodard does some very dumb things. 
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »
Yep, the 'new' Dr. Woodard does a lot of stupid things that I can't imagine Robert Gerringer's Dave Woodard would have done.  :-

I think the scene between Woodard and Sarah would have been a lot better had Gerringer had played out that scene. He was the one who realized there was more to Sarah than meets the rational eye. :-*

Fair episode. I didn't enjoy it as much because I am still reeling from the loss of the REAL Dr. Dave Woodard. ???

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 03:28:34 AM »
Much as I liked Robert Gerringer's Woodard, I also like Peter Turgeon's Woodard.  He appears to me to have an admirable rectitude about him.  Gerringer's Woodard seemed to be motivated to a large extent by curiosity in his search for the solution to Maggie's kidnapping, while Turgeon's Woodard is more interested in ridding the world of villains.  I wonder if this was a deliberate choice when Turgeon was cast, or if just happened to turn out that way.

The stipulation that Seaview House (or whatever it was called) could only be sold to a Collins was a perfect setup for Liz to agonize for a few weeks over whether to reveal that Vicky was indeed a Collins.  Alas for missed opportunities!

I like the psychiatrist.  He sounded quite plausible to me.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:51:55 AM »
The stipulation that Seaview House (or whatever it was called) could only be sold to a Collins was a perfect setup for Liz to agonize for a few weeks over whether to reveal that Vicky was indeed a Collins.  Alas for missed opportunities
I agree, Lydia!  I was thinking the same thing! [sadg]

Although I much prefer Robert Gerringer in the role of Dr. Woodard, Peter Turgeon did a good job.  I agree, though, that it was weird to see PT there instead of RG.  I sure do wish RG had stayed until the end!  [bawl] None of the other actors who appeared in this episode refused to work during the strike.  I wonder why? [idontknow]

The psychiatrist appeared very knowlegeable about child psychology.  His theory seemed plausible - but of course, we know differently. [winkg]

Yes, indeed - David Henesey is a wonderful actor, and it really was a shame that he didn't continue acting.

I think Barnabas was the one who sealed the Secret Room, and Sarah unsealed it. [thumb]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 04:37:55 PM »
The stipulation that Seaview House (or whatever it was called) could only be sold to a Collins was a perfect setup for Liz to agonize for a few weeks over whether to reveal that Vicky was indeed a Collins.  Alas for missed opportunities
I agree, Lydia!  I was thinking the same thing! [sadg]

I had the same thought as well. Though by this point the whole Vicki's parentage angle had been completely dropped in favor of all the mayhem Barnabas was causing, so alas...

Actually, it's interesting to speculate whether or not the whole business with Seaview and/or how it leads to the upcoming decision involving the West Wing was setting the groundwork for some new storyline that was suddenly dropped in favor of 1795. It certainly seems odd that they kept returning to scenes involving all that, but it all ultimately went nowhere. Though I suppose we'll never know - especially considering that 40 years later we still have no idea...

None of the other actors who appeared in this episode refused to work during the strike.  I wonder why? [idontknow]

The strike didn't actually involve the actors' AFTRA (American Federation of Television and Radio Artists) union - they simply called upon their members to support a strike by NABET (National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians). But apparently not everyone felt the need to do so.

Interestingly, Peter Turgeon, Joan Bennett, Alexandra Moltke, David Ford, Jonathan Frid, Grayson Hall and Louis Edmonds were all fined thousands of dollars by AFTRA for doing DS during the NABET strike, but the fines were never actually collected.

The psychiatrist appeared very knowlegeable about child psychology.  His theory seemed plausible - but of course, we know differently. [winkg]

Indeed. The psychiatrist's diagnosis makes a lot of sense. His conclusions were most probably the same as any psychiatrist/psychologist would make with the evidence presented to them. And they would probably be the right conclusions in the real world. But, of course, DS is not the real world.  :D  In the world of DS, giant bats, coffins, the undead, and ghosts really do exist.  [b003]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 11:59:56 PM »
On the DS Usenet group someone once said that she interviewed Peter Turgeon about his appearances on DS and it seems he wasn't told he was replacing another actor until the day of filming and that he was upset when he learned about it.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 12:40:49 AM »
Does anyone know where that usenet stuff might be archived?
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 01:39:58 AM »
I like the psychiatrist.  He sounded quite plausible to me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the psychiatrist. I'm aware some people don't, but since I don't know a great deal about psychiatry, what he said made sense to me.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 02:19:43 AM »
Does anyone know where that usenet stuff might be archived?

Thats in Google Groups.  It was one or two years ago and would require a lengthy search.

Its alt.tv.darkshadows

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 04:07:10 AM »
Nah, using the info given here, it took only a few minutes to find.  Assuming that Joeytrom is referring to Ann Wilson's reported phone conversation with Turgeon, that is:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.dark_shadows/msg/4a0486fcd0e557c1?dmode=source

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 05:23:59 PM »
interesting about seaview.

it and the subsequent plan for vicki and burke to move into the west wing were given alot of buildup for plot developments that never actually went anywhere.

and burke's plane crash in brazil seems like a rather abrupt and random way to kill-off a major character.

they obviously decided to go for bigger fish with 1795.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 12:30:06 AM »
This was, IMHO, one of the best-acted episodes early on in the series. I thought the psychiatrist was very believeable. He had the soft-spoken technique that usually works with children. David was outstanding; he iis/was an excellent actor. I do miss Robert Gerringer, who seems to be a more tactful sort that Peter Turgeon who's Woodard is more harsh.

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 12:40:27 AM »
interesting about seaview.

it and the subsequent plan for vicki and burke to move into the west wing were given alot of buildup for plot developments that never actually went anywhere.

and burke's plane crash in brazil seems like a rather abrupt and random way to kill-off a major character.

they obviously decided to go for bigger fish with 1795.

I don't think at that time they planned on getting rid of Burke altogether.  It seems they removed him from the story so they could concentrate on Barnabas without Burke's interference.  They probably were going to bring him back after 1795 but Anthony George decided to leave the show.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 02:55:59 AM »
On another subject...it was said in this episode that Willie's bites had been on his neck - a switch from the wrist bite that we saw.